User Tag List

123 Last

Default Motorcycle Helmet Laws: Should We or Shouldn't We?

I've thought about this issue in the past, but hadn't thought of it recently until I saw this article today and it jarred my thought process again.

New York Rider Dies Protesting Motorcycle Helmet Law

A New York man died Sunday while participating in a ride with 550 other motorcyclists to protest the state's mandatory helmet law.
    Police said Philip A. Contos, 55, hit his brakes and his motorcycle fishtailed. Contos was sent over the handlebars of his 1983 Harley Davidson and hit his head on the pavement.
    He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
    "The medical expert we discussed the case with who pronounced him deceased stated that he would've no doubt survived the accident had he been wearing a helmet," state Trooper Jack Keller told ABC News 9 in Syracuse.
    I plan on getting my first motorcycle in the next year or so and I definitely will be wearing a helmet. I've heard various reasons for and against the different state laws, but as far as I can tell the major crux of the issue (in the discussions I've heard) seems to lie between 'right to a choice' vs. 'the cost of medical care for the state gratis uninsured riders'.

Your thoughts?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The rejection of a helmet law seems to me to be an empty symbolic gesture of principle for no particularly good outcome.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm pro-choice.

If the state wants to pay for my health care, that's their prerogative, but I think it's unreasonable for a government to tell me that I can't do something that only harms myself. They don't ban extreme sports, smoking, or eating ridiculous things.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The rejection of a helmet law seems to me to be an empty symbolic gesture of principle for no particularly good outcome.
    I find less government intervention over my personal life to be a good outcome.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    STP

I've never understood "right to a choice" when there is really no plausible reason for anyone to choose the other. Freedom for the sake of exercising stupidity is kind of silly.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ It has less to do with the "exercising stupidity" and more to do with the ability to just Be.

The end result is, the government doesn't ban or try to regulate many things that are "stupid" or "silly" for us.. but people get focused on certain issues and just don't leave them alone.

I think the government needs to step in when it involves hurting others (stealing, killing, drinking and driving etc.) and butt out when it involves the self (i.e. seat-belts, motorcycle helmets, drinking alcohol etc.). The government has a LOT of really important things to do.. I think it's just too much to make them regulate things that people need to be regulating themselves.

Is it stupid to ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Yes it is. Is it stupid to ride over 20 mph down a slick icy surface just because 'it's fun'? Yes it is. But I'm not going to stop snowboarding just because there is a risk there.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    intp

The costs of not wearing a helmet are passed on to more than just the rider. More serious accidents mean higher insurance premiums for everyone, and they tie up limited emergency resources (ambulances and police, ICU beds, etc) and block traffic to a greater extent than less serious accidents. Minor children could be left parent-less, resulting in the state taking on the cost of raising them. Maybe their mortgage goes unpaid, resulting in losses for their bank and higher interest costs for future borrowers.

In my opinion, this story exemplifies the moral hazard that socialized safety nets create. We put ourselves in stupidly dangerous situations, all the while adamantly defending our right to do so, and never worry about what happens when things go wrong. When you try to have it both ways, everyone else is indirectly taking responsibility for your actions.

By all means ride without a helmet, but make sure that you have covered all medical costs, child care costs, final expenses, a home for your dog, and a private cleanup crew to scrape you off of the freeway whilst compensating passing drivers for the delay.

Either take full responsibility for your actions or accept that society will limit your right to act like a retard.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'd vote for helmets just like I'd vote for seat belts.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    By all means ride without a helmet, but make sure that you have covered all medical costs, child care costs, final expenses, a home for your dog, and a private cleanup crew to scrape you off of the freeway whilst compensating passing drivers for the delay.

Either take full responsibility for your actions or accept that society will limit your right to act like a retard.
    I agree with this.

Also, having the "right to a choice" is all fine and dandy, but when it comes to driving any kind of vehicles, people either overestimate their driving skills or underestimate other people driving around them. It's not only about you. Accidents can happen regardless of what you do or don't do. So why not be well prepared and wear a helmet that might reduce the harm in case you do end up having an accident. You might end up having no choice in hardly anything anymore, because you were unfortunate enough to stay alive as a quadriplegic and really a burden on either your family or the state or whatever for the remainder of your life. And that could be a long life.

It would be great if there wasn't need for such/any laws and everybody would just think beyond their "rights" and how making really poor choices such as not wearing a helmet actually influences not only their lives but how it might influence others around them as well. Therefore, the laws exist. Unfortunate or not, but that's the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    butt out when it involves the self (i.e. seat-belts, motorcycle helmets, drinking alcohol etc.)
    Well, about the seal-belts, it only involves the self when a person is driving alone. And even then, not wearing a seat-belt, with enough speed, you fly through the window, even when your vehicle doesn't crash against any other vehicle or person, you can still harm others around you in a really bad way.

The government has a LOT of really important things to do.. I think it's just too much to make them regulate things that people need to be regulating themselves.
    I agree with this as well. However, the point is that there are a lot of people out there who don't regulate mostly anything really. One could argue that any laws wouldn't regulate them either, but they might work for others, who could still be influenced in a good way.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

If that isn't the definition of irony then I don't know what is . . .

Anyway, helmet laws should be a choice; if an indiviual wants to risk cracking their skull open then that's their dumb choice, and no one elses.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

In a perfect world, I would be an advocate of personal choice on this issue. If a fag wants to win a Darwin Award, more power to him. In fact, I wish more annoying fags would meet the same fate. Unfortunately, because we have social safety nets, this isn't simply a matter of personal choice (for reasons mentioned by Dala).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."