User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Not forcing the helmets does not equal a freedom of choice. It merely changes the forces at work. Should helmets be required, it would be less likely for people to view you as a whimp for wearing a helmet. Or for people to think that they are being viewed as whimps for wearing helmets. Just check the history of NHL... players wearing helmets were being berated by everyone. Now they are required to wear such things during the match, and not too many would consider playing without.

Seat-belts are not your personal choice. The moment you crash your car into something heavy/immovable, you become a human cannonball.

Also +1 what Dala said.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I've thought about this issue in the past, but hadn't thought of it recently until I saw this article today and it jarred my thought process again.

I plan on getting my first motorcycle in the next year or so and I definitely will be wearing a helmet. I've heard various reasons for and against the different state laws, but as far as I can tell the major crux of the issue (in the discussions I've heard) seems to lie between 'right to a choice' vs. 'the cost of medical care for the state gratis uninsured riders'.

Your thoughts?
    I am all for letting Darwinism take its course with humans. What I am not for is when people do stupid stuff that affects others without their consent.

Costs to the community through the police, health providers who have to scrape the idiot off of the road... Mental and psychological costs to anyone who is involved in an accident with the person. That is what isn't ok.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Change my mind on the matter; my original stance was because I don't generally care about the stupid things that other people do because it won't affect me; I always wear a helmet or seat belt becuase I'm smart enough to do so on my own, regardless of what the law says. But seeing as how health costs are extremely huge regarding assholes who don't wear helmets/seatbelts, and how their actions can negatively effect others, I'm now inclined to support helmet laws, especially since I'm not negatively affected by them because I already cover my head and protect my brains.

Also, to all those who say 'well sometimes people die because they were wearing their helmets', did it never occur to you that they same damn thing would have happened (or worse) had they not been wearing their helmet?

MBTI
    INTJ

They should mandate a third wheel. Trikes are much safer than bikes.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I resent helmet and seat belt laws, just like I resent stop signs and traffic signals. While I'm talking about it, I also resent curbs and sidewalks. I should be able to drive wherever I want to.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    But seeing as how health costs are extremely huge regarding assholes who don't wear helmets/seatbelts, and how their actions can negatively effect others, I'm now inclined to support helmet laws
    Do you also support taxing fatty foods? How about legal penalties for parents who allow their children to be become obese? Increased health costs due to individual stupidity is much too broad a justification, unless you're fine with a government potentially regulating just about every aspect of your private life.

I vote no (except in the case of children, who lack the same rights as adults anyway).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Let people ride their fucken bikes without helmets if they want. Not their fault that the alleged safety net is going to their health care if they knock their noggin. I haven't seen the data however that as far as the big picture goes that we as a society don't save more money on health care when someone dies by cracking their head on the asphalt vs. living and breaking every other bone in their body and living the remainder of their life downing pain medication and then driving doped up on said pills and causing traffic accidents while going to therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you also support taxing fatty foods? How about legal penalties for parents who allow their children to be become obese? Increased health costs due to individual stupidity is much too broad a justification, unless you're fine with a government potentially regulating just about every aspect of your private life).
    btw lifetime heath care for obese people is less than those of a normal weight because obese people die younger. They cost less, so lets keep the fattys (if they promise not to fart too much).
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you also support taxing fatty foods? How about legal penalties for parents who allow their children to be become obese? Increased health costs due to individual stupidity is much too broad a justification, unless you're fine with a government potentially regulating just about every aspect of your private life.

I vote no (except in the case of children, who lack the same rights as adults anyway).
    Costs of those not wearing helmets > costs of obese people eating fatty foods

What spamtar said.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

They should really focus their efforts on fat people who ride motor cycles (or mopeds) without helmets. They always seem to do it in pairs and make a huge mess when they crash.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Scrambled egg waiver/indemnity where those who choose not to wear a helmut, no heir, family member or themselves, can sue anyone else for accidental death or serious head injuries. Also, brain trauma must be paid for out of personal pocket and the non-helmut wearer's estate or him/her personally, can be sued for emotional trauma of death or scrambled egg injury.