User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Slippery slope argument and seductive as a siren's song. You either uphold democracy or embrace other forms of government.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by InTheFlesh View Post
    His argument assumes that politicians follow their campaign promises with action in office, which is almost never the case. You can be aware of a politician's stance on major controversies, but that doesn't mean what he says will translate into anything more than rhetoric.
    No it doesn't.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE

I feel the same way and have mentioned it on more than one occasion. It's just common sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

I see absolutely nothing disputable about refraining from voting and have never encountered opposition in this regard. The United States, for one, has one of the lowest voter turnouts of any advanced nation. I find this to be the case due to the farcical nature of our "democracy." We have a two-party system wherein both parties and our mass media are subservient to corporate interests, which reduces any possibility of increasing voter "awareness" amongst the masses.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    We have a two-party system wherein both parties and our mass media are subservient to corporate interests, which reduces any possibility of increasing voter "awareness" amongst the masses.
    Only if the masses believe that knowledge should be spoon fed. People are responsible for feeding themselves.

I sit torn by this issue. On one hand, it would be fantastic if voters were all knowledgeable. On the otherhand, what is an acceptable level of knowledge? Should only people with expertise such as degrees or work related experience in the applicable fields be allowed to vote? There's a part of me that cringes at intellectual snobbery, as well as being concerned about equality and rights associated to different forms of democracy.

As a side thought, how about governments being put into an administrative capacity where parties no longer exist? If voting was set by issues and multiple solutions presented, with the option to bypass voting on any issues, might this not work more effectively?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Only if the masses believe that knowledge should be spoon fed. People are responsible for feeding themselves.
    I find it absurd to adopt such a position when our mainstream media are literally bankrupt regarding comprehensive coverage and fidelity to the truth. Expecting a functioning democracy to persist, let alone thrive, when information is purposely curtailed and dissenting views are never allowed the same degree of public exposure is ridiculous. The internet, for its part, actually has managed to increase public sensitivity regarding political injustice, but one cannot reasonably expect to find cultivated voters when the structure of our political system is thoroughly anti-democratic.

Even if we take the position that the majority of individuals are idiots (something that I hardly contend), your vulgar notion of individualism is simplistic at best and wholly ignorant at worst if we seriously wish to uphold democracy.
    —Bonaparte

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Or we could turn it around and say that at the moment people are force-fed a diet of poor nutritional value and little variety.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I sit torn by this issue. On one hand, it would be fantastic if voters were all knowledgeable. On the otherhand, what is an acceptable level of knowledge? Should only people with expertise such as degrees or work related experience in the applicable fields be allowed to vote? There's a part of me that cringes at intellectual snobbery, as well as being concerned about equality and rights associated to different forms of democracy.
    Clearly, nobody who seriously espouses participatory democracy expects voters to vote upon the technical details of economics, finance, foreign policy, research and development, and so on. However, I believe that maximizing participation as far as possible, presenting well-rounded opinions, maintaining equal representation, allowing for constructive debate, etc., and, after having secured a legitimate platform upon which such a democratic process can occur, offering the relevant possible options would serve to tremendously improve our dismal political situation. Technology would certainly enable greater potential for empowering voters. This should be done at least for local governments, which are, in any case, less complex and familiar to its residents.
    —Bonaparte

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Or we could turn it around and say that at the moment people are force-fed a diet of poor nutritional value and little variety.
    Whom are you addressing? Is that supposed to be taken literally?

My point was that it is preposterous to think that seriously anti-democratic structural features in society would produce citizens who are capable of democratically managing a country—this is so despite individual shortcomings. Not only does our economic organization follow along overwhelmingly authoritarian lines, but our political system is unashamedly biased toward the rich, our means of communication controlled by a few, and our educational system grossly inadequate.
    —Bonaparte