User Tag List

123 Last

Default Tradition Vs. Innovation

Are you a traditionalist or an innovator? Do you consider that a false dichotomy and its possible to be both in equal measure? Perhaps you believe it is a false dichotomy but believe that none the less, while seeking to maintain a foot in both camps, you will inevitably come down more heavily as one rather than the other.

You might believe that its not a useful typology at all. If so why? If you are one or the other or both or both but more the one than the other why so? Is it because you are against or in opposition to one rather than favouring the other? Again why?

I'm interested. I'm beginning to consider this the fundamental dividing line between people politically but also perhaps philosophically and culturally too.

MBTI
    FREE

I would say I value tradition because it provides us with clear and tested ways of doing things, but I am also very much inclined to seek out new ways of doing things. It really depends upon my interest and expertise with a particular subject, and the amount of time I have to experiment; otherwise I will defer to tradition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

whichever way works better for the situation. Not tradition for the sake of tradition, but also not innovation for the sake of innovation.

So I don't identify with either. It would depend on which situations we're talking about.
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It's a false dichotomy in the sense of various contexts where either innovation or tradition may be of greater value than the other. For example, an individual who relies on traditional morals that dictate right and wrong, but wishes to innovate technology to the text level. I personally, and generally, lean closer to the side of an innovater in most cases.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If tradition is a well traveled route, then I'm a guy without a map. It doesn't necessarily make me an innovator.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you a traditionalist or an innovator? Do you consider that a false dichotomy and its possible to be both in equal measure?
    Well, I do think that it's a false dichotomy. People tend to be more complex than one or the other -- I suspect that *most* people could be classified as a traditionalist in some areas, an innovator in others. You might find people at either end of the spectrum where a general label makes sense, but I think that would apply only to the minority of people.

Also, it's a pretty iffy binary metric. I do believe that it's better than most, to be sure (old/young, evil/good, right/wrong, etc.) Binary metrics in general are pretty iffy when you try to use them to make statements about something as complex as a person. What do you do if someone is "traditional", but the primary motivator in their life is something that's not even on the "traditional/innovator axis" (assuming that we're allowing the simplification of these as *not* a false dichotomy, which I believe they are)?

If I *had* to choose one for myself, I'd choose innovator, but it's close. And there's some preference bias on how I *wish* to see myself in there too. I tend to be innovative in the things I care about, traditional in the ones where care, but not enough to want to make changes, and apathetic to stuff I simply don't care about at all. I bet a lot of people, from all walks of life, share that viewpoint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Let us preserve what must be preserved and perfect what can be perfected.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Let us preserve what must be preserved and perfect what can be perfected.
    Well said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Well said.
    Then explain how to apply the principle. Jesus avoided a lynching by saying something similar. I think he got off too easy.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I support a tradition of innovation. Ha!
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.