User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Default America's Eugenic and Intellectual Role in the Holocaust

One of the most interesting things I have ever learned, BY FAR, was the extent that the American Eugenics movement influenced, funded, and "legitimized" Hitler. Without this pseudoscience, I think there's a strong argument that Hitler would never have convinced otherwise sane people to believe in his beliefs.

Here is an article from the SF gate (a legit newspaper) that tells the tale...

http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-11-0...ng-master-race

Here's some highlights (whole article in the link)...

Hitler and his henchmen victimized an entire continent and exterminated millions in his quest for a so-called Master Race.

But the concept of a white, blond-haired, blue-eyed master Nordic race didn't originate with Hitler. The idea was created in the United States, and cultivated in California, decades before Hitler came to power. California eugenicists played an important, although little-known, role in the American eugenics movement's campaign for ethnic cleansing.
    During the '20s, Carnegie Institution eugenic scientists cultivated deep personal and professional relationships with Germany's fascist eugenicists. In "Mein Kampf," published in 1924, Hitler quoted American eugenic ideology and openly displayed a thorough knowledge of American eugenics. "There is today one state," wrote Hitler, "in which at least weak beginnings toward a better conception (of immigration) are noticeable. Of course, it is not our model German Republic, but the United States."

Hitler proudly told his comrades just how closely he followed the progress of the American eugenics movement. "I have studied with great interest," he told a fellow Nazi, "the laws of several American states concerning prevention of reproduction by people whose progeny would, in all probability, be of no value or be injurious to the racial stock."
    By 1926, Rockefeller had donated some $410,000 -- almost $4 million in today's money -- to hundreds of German researchers. In May 1926, Rockefeller awarded $250,000 toward creation of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Psychiatry. Among the leading psychiatrists at the German Psychiatric Institute was Ernst Rüdin, who became director and eventually an architect of Hitler's systematic medical repression.
    Mengele began searching the boxcar arrivals for twins. When he found them, he performed beastly experiments, scrupulously wrote up the reports and sent the paperwork back to Verschuer's institute for evaluation. Often, cadavers, eyes and other body parts were also dispatched to Berlin's eugenic institutes.

Rockefeller executives never knew of Mengele. With few exceptions, the foundation had ceased all eugenics studies in Nazi-occupied Europe before the war erupted in 1939. But by that time the die had been cast. The talented men Rockefeller and Carnegie financed, the great institutions they helped found, and the science they helped create took on a scientific momentum of their own.
    ...Verschuer re- established his connections with California eugenicists who had gone underground and renamed their crusade "human genetics." ...
    Human genetics' genocidal roots in eugenics were ignored by a victorious generation that refused to link itself to the crimes of Nazism and by succeeding generations that never knew the truth of the years leading up to war. Now governors of five states, including California, have issued public apologies to their citizens, past and present, for sterilization and other abuses spawned by the eugenics movement. ... Human genetics became an enlightened endeavor in the late 20th century. Hard-working, devoted scientists finally cracked the human code through the Human Genome Project. Now, every individual can be biologically identified and classified by trait and ancestry. Yet even now, some leading voices in the genetic world are calling for a cleansing of the unwanted among us, and even a master human species.
    How many of you knew of this before? How many don't believe it? Any other comments?

Enneagram
    CFV

Don't forget, we also backed Sadam up until we decided his encroachment in Americanized countries was a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    One of the most interesting things I have ever learned, BY FAR, was the extent that the American Eugenics movement influenced, funded, and "legitimized" Hitler. Without this pseudoscience, I think there's a strong argument that Hitler would never have convinced otherwise sane people to believe in his beliefs.

How many of you knew of this before? How many don't believe it? Any other comments?
    Yes, USA eugenics led, in part, to the Shoah. And yes, eugenics is a pseudo-science just as MBTI is a pseudo-science.

I have tried to warn you about MBTI, whose father was Carl Jung and who supported the Shoah, but no one takes any notice.

The reason we should reject eugenics is the same reason we should reject MBTI, not because they are right or wrong, but simply because they are immoral.

MBTI
    INTP

Is pseudo-science immoral or just less useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I'm inclined to think it errs on the side of the immoral rather than the less useful. If there is anything that characterises science is honesty. And if there is anything that characterises pseudo-science it is dishonesty.

But worse, pseudo-science, is not only dishonest, it also plays on the gullibillity of the vulnerable.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Is it moral to deliberately ignore truth? You decide.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Where's Perch when ya need a poorly considered support of such wretched ideals?

Anyway, I'm not at all surprised that the U.S. backed up eugenic practices of the Nazis, especially considering that the U.S. denied Jews into the country, built concentrations camps for those of Japanese descent, and allowed factions of Nazi supporters to safely live in the U.S; the U.S. government isn't exactly the shining ideal of morality nor honor.

As for eugenics itself, regardless of whether it actually exists or not is irrelevant; it's whether its of value to a society. Perhaps it was useful to the Nazis, but in todays world, such ridiculous values of eugenics are often discarded in the trach with other stupid ideals.

It's too bad eugenics was never applied to eliminate the proclivity to derail threads by incessantly banging on about the same irrelevant point in each of them.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I knew about this. I'm American (yeah, we call our country that, and so do others), but I've always had an outsider's perspective. It doesn't surprise me because geography for the most part doesn't make people morally better or worse, but I'm pretty happy living here, anyway.

I don't think Eugenics is a pseudoscience. There are scientific ways to improve the human species. The issue ends up being who decides what "better" means.

Eugenics and MBTI

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I don't think Eugenics is a pseudoscience.
    If Eugenics were not a pseudo-science, there would be many random double blind experiments, but there are none. Just as, if MBTI were not a pseudo-science, there would be many random double blind experiments, but once again, there are none.