User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Using this definition, many sbujects could be described as psuedo-science, one being economics.
    In some ways economics is though. In many ways economics is the "science" of "explaining" how something occurred in the rear view mirror, and then when that new explanation fails to capture another future iteration, we come up with a new "explanation". It's an ever expanding multivariate explanation, as an economy is probably closer to "order out of chaos" than an ordered system that follows "scientific laws". The very science itself ends up influencing the very system its attempting to explain.

A good example would be "technical analysis" on stocks. People work tirelessly to come up with theories explaining why the stock prices made the patterns they did. They either end up with models with poor predictive power, models that only fit historical instances, or people's future reaction to these very models leads to a reaction unforeseen by these models.

Quote Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
    The mistake is to assume that all are responsible for the actions of a few (eg the eugenicists). It's not as if the Eugenicists were running the country. (well you know what I mean...)
    I didn't mean to imply that "we" are responsible. I do mean to imply that "more than you think" were though. I mean RACIAL HYGENE was being taught at STANFORD university like "a real science"!!!! They were having county fairs and judging people's families for "good stock" based on how "fit" (intellectually, physically and artistically) they seemed.

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Using this definition, many sbujects could be described as psuedo-science, one being economics.
    I'm tempted to argue that it is.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Eugenics, Social Darwinism and Creationism

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I mean RACIAL HYGENE was being taught at STANFORD university like "a real science"!!!! They were having county fairs and judging people's families for "good stock" based on how "fit" (intellectually, physically and artistically) they seemed.
    And this goes a long way to explaining why Creationism and Intelligent Design are so popular in USA. And it is because Creationism is a reaction to Eugenics.

It is obvious to good religious people that Eugenics is evil and it was backed up by Social Darwinism, so how natural for Bible believing christians to turn to the Bible for an answer to the evils of Eugenics and Social Darwinism.

So the hearts of the Creationists were in the right place, unfortunately they confused, "The Origin of Species", with Social Darwinism.

And of course Social Darwinism was used by the robber barons of the USA to build their obscend fortunes and Eugenics was used for genocide.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    I'm tempted to argue that it is.
    I would also argue that it is, but would Victor?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

My experience is that Victor doesn't actually argue anything, but rather brings up numerous unrelated points that sound ominous and controversial.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Smile

I would be inclined to divide the Faculties into science, the humanities and the arts. And I would be inclined to put the Faculty of Economics into the humanities.

However illitrate economics taught private greed led to public povety via usury, while the literate economics of Adam Smith teaches that private greed leds to public prosperity.

So interestingly literate economics is counter-intuitive, just like science itself. And that's the point - economics is like a science while being part of the humanities.

Smile Appealing to the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    My experience is that Victor doesn't actually argue anything, but rather brings up numerous unrelated points that sound ominous and controversial.
    You're right - I am opposed to arguing.

And my numerous points only seem unrelated to those who can't see the connections. And usually the connections seem so obvious to me, I would be embarrassed to point them out to you.

And I think I can live with ominous and controversial, for I seek to appeal to your emotions as well as you mind. But most of all, my deepest wish is to appeal to your soul.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I don't think Eugenics is a pseudoscience. There are scientific ways to improve the human species. The issue ends up being who decides what "better" means.
    That is very true. Plenty of good ideas inevitably get corrupted during implementation.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    That is very true. Plenty of good ideas inevitably get corrupted during implementation.
    Today we don't practise Eugenics because it was an immoral pseudo science, today we practise genetics. We sequence the genome every day; we have sequenced all of the human genome; and as I write we are sequencing the genomes of the trillions of the many species of microbes who inhabit us inside and out and who make our life possible.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Today we don't practise Eugenics because it was an immoral pseudo science, today we practise genetics. We sequence the genome every day; we have sequenced all of the human genome; and as I write we are sequencing the genomes of the trillions of the many species of microbes who inhabit us inside and out and who make our life possible.
    Ramble ramble ramble ramble
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.