Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Song of the South

Okay I know this movie is supposed to be racist because of the tar baby, yeah I get that, but like, why has this person on YouTube posted videos with the titles "This is Racist: Song of the South" with completely inoccuous scenes?

In this first scene, I wouldn't call this racist, but realistic. It's the kind of thing that went on. I mean, the old white lady is obviously some uptight bitch from the 1800's and that's portrayed.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Djjr8w6m8&feature=related"]Confusing Scene 1[/YOUTUBE]

In this second scene, there is entirely NOTHING racist about this. This is how men and women talk to each other in the South, whether they're black or white. She says she's a stubborn old woman and if she wants his advice she'll ask for it. She could have easily said the same thing to an old white man. This is just Southern culture, I'm for serious. She even jokes with him at the end!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVBjlFv8ooE&feature=related"]Confusing Scene 2[/YOUTUBE]

In this scene, slaves are singing a hymn, which was actually common behavior. Of course it's a little too light and happy, but it's a fucking Disney movie, and everything about Disney movies is a little too light and happy, this is not specific to this movie or this scene. I think the person is exaggerating when they say the slaves are enjoying working on the plantation, I mean come on give me a fucking break.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkmwGDwPvvk&feature=related"]Confusing Scene 3[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not arguing that the film doesn't have its racist elements, I mean I actually had a copy of a Disney Brer Rabbit cartoon book about the tar baby when I was little. Of course, I didn't understand what it was about at all, I didn't equate it with black people in the slightest, to be perfectly honest.

What are these people seeing that I'm not seeing?

You can tell me if you'd like, but frankly I think stuff like this actually undermines the seriousness of racism, to nit-pick at things and intentionally look for things that are racist.

I mean I feel the same way about extreme forms of feminism, and I'm a woman, so it's not like I'm trying to say this from a place of "white privelege." I'm saying this from the place of "give me a fucking break."

I think I get annoyed with a lot of this stuff about the Old South anyway, because it mainly focuses on the *wealthy* whites in flat areas where there were plantations. Poor white people didn't have any slaves. One of the reasons why West Virginia succeeded from Virginia and joined the Union is because THE ENTIRE STATE IS MOUNTAINOUS. There is nary a plantation in WV.

I think it kind of is an inverted form of racism to characterize all Southern whites as being these rich old fucks who owned plantations.

Discuss.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdXQAQHjd8"]Another Version of Song of The South[/YOUTUBE]

In addition to this, the country band Alabama took back the title "Song of the South" for a song they released in the 1980's that is about poor people who suffered during the Great Depression. I think it was some kind of statement that the South had poor white people too, working class people who were half-dead living on subsistance farms, picking their own damn cotton.

What do you think about that? I think it's related.