User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 42

  1. #21
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    I assume you're talking about some sort of skills or whatever from some game xD I'm not á jour with that stuff :b

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  2. #22
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    This thread makes my stomach turn.
    I know how you feel for I am amazed that a citizen of a country that has known not one, but two totalitarian governments, has no immunity against a third.

  3. #23
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I know how you feel for I am amazed that a citizen of a country that has known not one, but two totalitarian governments, has no immunity against a third.
    Or maybe, just maybe, it makes me a bit more immune towards what the language of Goethe and Goebbels calls an easy Feindbild (concept of foe) and an oversimplified worldview.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  4. #24
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543

    Thumbs down A Powerful, Totalitarian Ideology

    As I drive around Canberra I see low, reinforced concrete walls around government buildings. All of these wall have been recently built. And they have been built to stop Islamic car bombers from driving their bombs close enough to collapse the whole building, causing a large loss of life.

    And although we are laid back we have an excellent Global Intelligence Service that says jihad has been declared against us.

    And Intelligence regularly exposes plans for mass murder. The jihadists are brought before our Criminal Courts, with the best legal defence, but still, almost all of them are convicted of terrorism and sentenced to long jail terms. The jihadists show no repentance and refuse to recognise the legitimacy of our Criminal Courts, and their supporters outside of Court regard them as victims.

    The jihadists are highly aggressive with a powerful, totalitarian ideology.

  5. #25
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Right. But what exactly does this have to do with islam?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #26
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    As I drive around Canberra I see low, reinforced concrete walls around government buildings. All of these wall have been recently built. And they have been built to stop Islamic car bombers from driving their bombs close enough to collapse the whole building, causing a large loss of life.

    And although we are laid back we have an excellent Global Intelligence Service that says jihad has been declared against us.

    And Intelligence regularly exposes plans for mass murder. The jihadists are brought before our Criminal Courts, with the best legal defence, but still, almost all of them are convicted of terrorism and sentenced to long jail terms. The jihadists show no repentance and refuse to recognise the legitimacy of our Criminal Courts, and their supporters outside of Court regard them as victims.

    The jihadists are highly aggressive with a powerful, totalitarian ideology.
    The thing is - Mr. Wilders and the jihadists are much more similar than both are willing to admit. Their contents may differ, but both are totalitarion in their structure of thought.
    Being opposed to one form of extremism of any sort doesn't automatically make you a proponent of freedom if you yourself are coming from an extremist point of view.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  7. #27
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Right. But what exactly does this have to do with islam?
    Islam has three components - religious, social and political.

    I have no quarrel with the religious component for Australia supports freedom of religion and the separation of church and state.

    The social component under Sharia institutionalises inequality before the law.

    And the political component is totalitarian and violent with a powerful ideology.

  8. #28
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    The thing is - Mr. Wilders and the jihadists are much more similar than both are willing to admit. Their contents may differ, but both are totalitarion in their structure of thought.
    Being opposed to one form of extremism of any sort doesn't automatically make you a proponent of freedom if you yourself are coming from an extremist point of view.
    Please! The jihadists are mass murderers while Geert Wilders exercises his right to free speech.

  9. #29
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    First of all, that is a gross oversimplification. And second, you could easily exchange "islam" in that post against either of the other monotheistic religions.

    I also think you are using the term "Islam" to cover a heap of phenomena that are only very loosely related to the religion.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  10. #30
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    First of all, that is a gross oversimplification. And second, you could easily exchange "islam" in that post against either of the other monotheistic religions.

    I also think you are using the term "Islam" to cover a heap of phenomena that are only very loosely related to the religion.
    Unlike Islam, Christianity and Judaism both practise freedom of religion and the separation of church, synagogue and state in Oz.

    I am happy with the religious aspect of Islam and helped found and fund the Muslim Society of the Australian National University, however it is the social and political aspects that are a clear and present danger.

Similar Threads

  1. TypeCentral Members Psychoanalyze Your Avatar for Free
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 7006
    Last Post: Today, 04:18 PM
  2. A Golden Age for Political Satire in America or Freedom of Speech under threat?
    By ilikeitlikethat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-18-2017, 02:24 AM
  3. Free Speech under assault in Latin America
    By lowtech redneck in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
  4. 2,780 TV Channels for FREE - FireFox Plug-In...
    By Halla74 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 01:32 AM
  5. For those interested in Computer Architecture...
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 12:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO