User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I assume you're talking about some sort of skills or whatever from some game xD I'm not á jour with that stuff :b

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    This thread makes my stomach turn.
    I know how you feel for I am amazed that a citizen of a country that has known not one, but two totalitarian governments, has no immunity against a third.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I know how you feel for I am amazed that a citizen of a country that has known not one, but two totalitarian governments, has no immunity against a third.
    Or maybe, just maybe, it makes me a bit more immune towards what the language of Goethe and Goebbels calls an easy Feindbild (concept of foe) and an oversimplified worldview.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Thumbs down A Powerful, Totalitarian Ideology

As I drive around Canberra I see low, reinforced concrete walls around government buildings. All of these wall have been recently built. And they have been built to stop Islamic car bombers from driving their bombs close enough to collapse the whole building, causing a large loss of life.

And although we are laid back we have an excellent Global Intelligence Service that says jihad has been declared against us.

And Intelligence regularly exposes plans for mass murder. The jihadists are brought before our Criminal Courts, with the best legal defence, but still, almost all of them are convicted of terrorism and sentenced to long jail terms. The jihadists show no repentance and refuse to recognise the legitimacy of our Criminal Courts, and their supporters outside of Court regard them as victims.

The jihadists are highly aggressive with a powerful, totalitarian ideology.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Right. But what exactly does this have to do with islam?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    As I drive around Canberra I see low, reinforced concrete walls around government buildings. All of these wall have been recently built. And they have been built to stop Islamic car bombers from driving their bombs close enough to collapse the whole building, causing a large loss of life.

And although we are laid back we have an excellent Global Intelligence Service that says jihad has been declared against us.

And Intelligence regularly exposes plans for mass murder. The jihadists are brought before our Criminal Courts, with the best legal defence, but still, almost all of them are convicted of terrorism and sentenced to long jail terms. The jihadists show no repentance and refuse to recognise the legitimacy of our Criminal Courts, and their supporters outside of Court regard them as victims.

The jihadists are highly aggressive with a powerful, totalitarian ideology.
    The thing is - Mr. Wilders and the jihadists are much more similar than both are willing to admit. Their contents may differ, but both are totalitarion in their structure of thought.
    Being opposed to one form of extremism of any sort doesn't automatically make you a proponent of freedom if you yourself are coming from an extremist point of view.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Right. But what exactly does this have to do with islam?
    Islam has three components - religious, social and political.

I have no quarrel with the religious component for Australia supports freedom of religion and the separation of church and state.

The social component under Sharia institutionalises inequality before the law.

And the political component is totalitarian and violent with a powerful ideology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    The thing is - Mr. Wilders and the jihadists are much more similar than both are willing to admit. Their contents may differ, but both are totalitarion in their structure of thought.
    Being opposed to one form of extremism of any sort doesn't automatically make you a proponent of freedom if you yourself are coming from an extremist point of view.
    Please! The jihadists are mass murderers while Geert Wilders exercises his right to free speech.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

First of all, that is a gross oversimplification. And second, you could easily exchange "islam" in that post against either of the other monotheistic religions.

I also think you are using the term "Islam" to cover a heap of phenomena that are only very loosely related to the religion.
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

First of all, that is a gross oversimplification. And second, you could easily exchange "islam" in that post against either of the other monotheistic religions.

I also think you are using the term "Islam" to cover a heap of phenomena that are only very loosely related to the religion.
    Unlike Islam, Christianity and Judaism both practise freedom of religion and the separation of church, synagogue and state in Oz.

I am happy with the religious aspect of Islam and helped found and fund the Muslim Society of the Australian National University, however it is the social and political aspects that are a clear and present danger.