EII Ne

i'm not complaining.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I had an inkling about ginga but I had no idea that ginger was offensive, I think ginga is cute. Now 'Ranga, there's an offensive term!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I never realized that ginger was derogatory. I've even heard cats of a certain color referred to as ginger cats. I used to dye my hair a kind of red/orange strawberry blonde color for most of high school. I always wanted my cousin's hair. My sister's is more that darker red, and she has freckles. Cousin has the red/orangey blonde and completely white skin.

I CARRY THE GINGER GENE, I'm pretty sure. But if I keep being attracted to half-Latinos and half-Asians the odds of me having a red haired child are probably pretty low.

My ENFJ sister, on the other hand, seems to think guys who look like Prince Harry are damn sexy. She dated this guy once who had pretty much the same coloring as our ISFJ sister.

Anyway, I never meant to insult anyone.
    I do realise some people don't know this. 'Ginger' used to have non-offensive connotations but in the (from what I understand) UK and elsewhere it now is almost always negative, even if its "only a joke". Ginga (the 'ing' pronounced oh-so-cleverly like the suffix in 'talking', 'sitting' etc), which seems to be isolated to NZ and possibly Australia, is mocking, and therefore offensive. And 'ranga' is pretty obviously derogatory. Marmie, I haven't heard as much in the way of negativity toward redheads in American pop culture and media, which is one positive - this may be why you are less aware of it. Here and elsewhere it is getting completely out of control.

Typically, I don't like to make a fuss about the juvenile jokes but it does bother me. I'm being made to feel like a mutant for something as pathetically arbitrary as hair colour. Its not fun to be society's punching bag.

And its not that difficult to see how one could come to associate the term 'ginger' with negativity:

This was a christmas card that was sold in the UK by Tesco before being forced to withdraw them following complaints:
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

I didn't know it was used that way, though I should have probably guessed when gingas are evil came up in a search. We always called my brother ginger. Things change I guess.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It's shit, being ginger. Can't go to the beach, having summer fun in the sun is out and freckles suck. One looks plain silly having freckles in your thirties (although bonus, every one thinks you are younger.) Plus it's oh so amusing when perfect strangers ask if the carpet matches the curtains. I do think it's more exotic being a female red head, rather than male one though. I do dye my hair though so it's a dark auburn as opposed to it's natural state of orange (with streaks of white now). I have grey-green eyes, and the darker colur brings them out.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    It's shit, being ginger. Can't go to the beach, having summer fun in the sun is out and freckles suck. One looks plain silly having freckles in your thirties (although bonus, every one thinks you are younger.) Plus it's oh so amusing when perfect strangers ask if the carpet matches the curtains. I do think it's more exotic being a female red head, rather than male one though. I do dye my hair though so it's a dark auburn as opposed to it's natural state of orange (with streaks of white now). I have grey-green eyes, and the darker colur brings them out.
    On the bright side, you're going to have great skin when the others will start getting all wrinkled and leathery.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    The ancient Greeks and Romans mentioned whole tribes and peoples being "predominantly redhaired". I imagine that would be quite striking to encounter for the very first time, especially if they'd never seen red hair and green eyes before.
    Might've looked something like this?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Ginger isn't derogatory. It's just a word to categorize those red-headed freaks for proper discrimination.

I love redheads and freckles. And redheads with freckles. And brunettes. And blondes. And green eyes.

But mostly blue eyes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I always found the term ginger odd, as red hair has varying shades just as blond & brown do. Red hair runs in my mom's family, but they have a Spanish heritage, so it's not that orangey color that could be called "ginger"; however, it's also not dark/brown enough to be auburn. It's just, well, red. The redheads in my family usually have brown eyes, not green or blue, which I think is cool, as it's a different combo.

So I personally find red hair very pretty & freckles cute (but not when a face is overrun with them). I likely have a positive view because my mom is a redhead & I've always thought she was beautiful (which is not entirely family bias, as she had a reputation when young for being very pretty). Since natural red hair is rare, I think it makes redheads seem to be an extreme looks-wise, either quite homely or strikingly pretty. It's hard for them to look ordinary or average.

I admit it annoys me when people lump all redheads together (they're all evil, ugly, weird, etc), probably because my mom is one & I think it's pretty. My sister had this friend who had some bias against redheads & it was just extremely rude & silly, IMO.

edit: Oh yeah, the chick to the left is a favorite redhead of mine.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe