User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Too ugly for a "beautiful people" dating site?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...people-members

From the article:

It was meant to be a dating website exclusively for the use of "beautiful men and women", where members ruthlessly selected and excluded those who did not match their definitions of good looks.

But last month when BeautifulPeople.com was attacked by a computer virus, some claim standards slipped and around 30,000 new members gained admittance. Now, in a move which has made those rejected "apoplectic" with rage, they have been unceremoniously booted off at a financial cost of more than $100,000 (£62,000) to the site's operators.

The virus was quickly named Shrek – after the animated film about how looks should not matter – as it attacked the software used to screen potential members. A helpline has now been set up with counsellors on hand to help the distressed rejects from the site.

"We have to stick to our founding principles of only accepting beautiful people – that's what our members have paid for," said Greg Hodge, managing director of BeautifulPeople.com. "We can't just sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet."

Hodge reckoned the Shrek virus – which may have been posted by a disgruntled former employee – had affected the software that existing members use to rate prospective new entrants, allowing anyone to join. The website boasts that "beauty lies in the eyes of the voter" who are able to rank aspiring members on a type of traffic light scale where red is "absolutely not" and bright green is "beautiful". The site posts applicants' photographs alongside information about their weight and height and ask candidates to describe their "body type" as well as whether they own a car or home along with their zodiac sign.
    And much more.

Thoughts? Would you join a dating site for beautiful people only? Would you join one run by a guy whose every sentence sounds like a line from an Onion article?

The site made headlines after the Christmas holidays when it booted 5,000 members for gaining a few holiday pounds...
    Something Witty

No I wouldn't join a site like that, not that I would meet their standards. But then, I wouldn't join any dating site preferring real life accidental meetings.

Not sure why people get their knickers in a twist over elitist sites of any kind. As long as their elitism doesn't directly impact on me, don't care. They're welcome to their superficiality and in many ways, it's better to keep their attitudes contained.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with elitist sites as a whole. But this guy is super-douchey, and I really, really am curious to see what gets the thumbs-up over there. Though I'm not sure I'm curious enough to do a free membership trial. And I'm definitely not submitting a picture. I never understood that "Hot or Not?" thing. Why would I allow myself to be judged by random strangers on the internet?

Somebody go undercover!
    Something Witty

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

About damn time. Was getting really tired of happening upon one of those fug profiles.

I'm off to return some videotapes.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I would never join such a site. Looks aren't everything and I would never be able to pass their criteria for what's considered beautiful.

I cringe at the thought of such sites yet I'm anti-censorship so I don't protest against them. If someone wants to promote such a website they are entitled to do so. If you don't like it, don't visit it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This reminds me of that "IQ" dating website. You have to pass an IQ test with a certain score to sign up. Ridiculous.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

It wouldn't work for me, I have nothing against superficial standards but Im pretty sure my superficial standards are not the same as most voters would be.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

I get sick of those beautiful people and IQ sites sending me requests to join. "I don't need your bullshit" is what I say. I'm fine with the ugly, dumb people.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, fuck websites like this; nothing more than a bunch of shallow, pompous, vain losers who think that just because they fit a certain criteria of 'beauty', that it makes them special and exclusive to the rest of society. It's a shame so many people were rejected off of there, hopefully they'll find dating sites that don't discriminate.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Some people care a great deal about their ideals of physical perfection (which are partly biological, but mostly culturally-created and culturally-enforced which is why this kind of thing makes me go "ho hum"...I mean once upon a time wearing a corset and having alabaster white skin, and kind of muted features, and being curvy was the height of beauty...now it's like being tan and either very thin or athletically muscular for women...) and let them do it. Whatever.

I wouldn't join a site like that, even if I qualified and I'm not saying I do at all, because while I care about physical appearance, it's not my only priority, and I would fear that people there would only take physical beauty into consideration, which leaves you open to being treated like an object even if your date considers you a beauty. Been there, done that, I was a stripper. No thnx.