User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Not sure why people get their knickers in a twist over elitist sites of any kind. As long as their elitism doesn't directly impact on me, don't care. They're welcome to their superficiality and in many ways, it's better to keep their attitudes contained.
    ^this.

And no, I would not join.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Actually, it isn't a bad idea. Let's say you're really hot, and can make reasonable demands on the looks of a potential mate.
    Then you probably don't want to go through the trouble of meeting a lot of pretty nice but horrendously ugly people (let's face it, ordinary dating sites are probably full of them).
    And yeah, it does matter since you're probably going to have to have sex with someone you're serious about dating.
    True ugliness is a big no-no. Sure, there are bigger no-nos, but hotness level is the initial check you do on a person in real life if you hunt at bars or whatever.
    If someone is pure horror, you simply don't walk up there. If they're cute/hot/beautiful then you do.
    Having a dating site where the creepy and ugly clientele isn't present at does sound like a fairly good idea.
    Until you take into account that these people are probably already getting laid elsewhere, rendering the rest of what I said sort of moot.
    But how do you know some of those good looking people aren't creepy? This is the flaw I see in your theory.

Hot crazy chicks abound, dude. Same with guys - he could look like Brad Pitt and beat you up. WTF.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But how do you know some of those good looking people aren't creepy? This is the flaw I see in your theory.

Hot crazy chicks abound, dude. Same with guys - he could look like Brad Pitt and beat you up. WTF.
    I meant creepy-looking. Some of the nutcases are just plain obvious.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I meant creepy-looking. Some of the nutcases are just plain obvious.

True maybe the absolutely craziest people also look crazy.

But I wouldn't always bank on that. Ted Bundy was rather attractive, and he went to law school and everything.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Who are we to decide superficiality is fundamentally wrong? I just see it as a judgement like any other judgement.
    I believe there is such a thing as good judgment and bad judgment, to put it simply. Bad judgment would be like automatically judging someone for being black. Good judgment would be judging someone for judging people for being black. Basically, it's not so bad to judge someone for their own terrible judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Anyway, these people have their own site. Good for them. I don't see it as elitist at all, just preferential, like some people prefer outdoorsy types and some people prefer tattoos and body piercings.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt. You can replace inferior with anything.
    I'd like to think Eleanor's statement is true, but it can be pretty hard to hold your will against the masses, sometimes. Anyway, I fear that sort of saying might encourage people to quietly accept some very hostile behavior.

It's not that I don't care about looks. I'm not really judging superficiality in this case. What astounds me about this idea is that popular opinion determines who is or isn't attractive by a system that is apparently the ultimate arbiter of that site. It's a ludicrous conception of what attractiveness is or how it works. Then to believe you are someone who belongs there, has good judgment in figuring out how attractive a person really is, and expects to score there, I'd say the chances are really high that you are a douche bag.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

violaine

Loling at the Onion reference. Spot on.

This kind of service doesn't offend me. Each to their own. Everyone is picky about who they date seriously, we all just have individualized criteria. Dating is not an equal opportunity sport etc. I think it sounds expedient for people to whom physical attraction matters a great deal. Those desires are in-built and none of the people who belong to this site would be seriously dating anyone who doesn't meet their standards for attraction anyway. Great business idea as well.

Also, some people ARE incredibly good looking, why should they have to mix their DNA with the rest of the slobs (lol.) Seriously though, I do recall reading that people tend to end up in relationships with someone of an equivalent level of attractiveness, for the most part, all things being equal.

If I fit the criteria I prob would join, mostly just out of curiosity... I would be dying to see what kind of men would be on this site in terms of their personalities and outlook on life. Don't know if I'd want to date this way though. I tend to meet my BFs in other ways, and it's most important for me to have a meeting of the minds kind of deal before I can be attracted. I also don't really go in for pretty men.

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    ^this.

And no, I would not join.
    Since we both get mistaken for dudes online, maybe we can join as pretty men?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Either the publishers of this news have a very poor grasp on the material they are analyzing, or they are intentionally making provocative statements for attention. I guess it can be both. This does worry me a little bit since more and more often I see people actually citing the "research" done by OKCupid.
    Yes.

That's insane.

A race of people isn't uglier than another, they're just comparing it to someone's specific culturally-enforced standard, which is why I say stuff like this makes me go ho hum...but I didn't realize they were using it to be racist or nationalist.

What a bunch of shit.
    Well, beauty is the eye of the beholder. That said, even if beauty was objectively judged by the whole of humanity, their claim has no leg to stand on, as it was drawn from a sparse, and obviously biased online community.

The Irish isn't really a race... it's more like an ethnic group that's always been shat on for various things. A U.S. WASP tradition.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

True maybe the absolutely craziest people also look crazy.

But I wouldn't always bank on that. Ted Bundy was rather attractive, and he went to law school and everything.
    Just proves that lawyers should all be incarcerated, like I always thought

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I have my own idea of what is attractive. even physical. its not the norm either. (browsing beautiful people)