User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think these sites impact me because it's poison. It's like the media, spewing out bullshit that people have to basically look the same.
    Skinny, good looking etc. It effects me so much because it's wrong and it makes people who are not even ugly, feel ugly because they don't look that way. I'm very protective when it comes to horse shit like this.

Ginkgo

I don't care if someone wants to devote their website for those who use physical attraction as their most important criteria. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks; aesthetics are actually a key component in how well relationships click. If we didn't base our desires on what looked healthy,spry, and alive, then we wouldn't survive.

However, I can't tolerate an organization pushing falsehoods that degrade others for no reason other than to be sensational. Like below:

This month, the website triggered anger in Ireland when it said that Irish men were among the ugliest in the world. This was based on the reasoning that only 9% of male Irish applicants to the site were accepted.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Some people place a great deal of importance on attractiveness. If we judge those people, wouldn't it be slightly hypocritical? Yeah, the owner(s?) of that site sounds like a total prick, but I fail to see how it affects me in any way. I wouldn't join a site like that because I don't want to be judged primarily by what I look like, but if others do, that's fine.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I don't care if someone wants to devote their website for those who use physical attraction as their most important criteria. Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks; aesthetics are actually a key component in how well relationships click. If we didn't base our desires on what looked healthy,spry, and alive, then we wouldn't survive.

However, I can't tolerate an organization pushing falsehoods that degrade others for no reason other than to be sensational. Like below:
    That's insane.

A race of people isn't uglier than another, they're just comparing it to someone's specific culturally-enforced standard, which is why I say stuff like this makes me go ho hum...but I didn't realize they were using it to be racist or nationalist.

What a bunch of shit.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Some people place a great deal of importance on attractiveness. If we judge those people, wouldn't it be slightly hypocritical? Yeah, the owner(s?) of that site sounds like a total prick, but I fail to see how it affects me in any way. I wouldn't join a site like that because I don't want to be judged primarily by what I look like, but if others do, that's fine.
    Yeah I'm attracted to beauty, and for some reason I like "pretty boys" and dark hair and Eurasians or Scandanasians or people who are like mixed white/Latino...but I'm not going to say that men who happen to have red hair and freckles who are more muscular or stereotypically masculine looking are ugly because that's not my type.

And that is the crucial difference. We are driven sexually to an extent by beauty, but beyond some basic biological things (youth, health, symmetry, not being excessively underweight or morbidly obese) ...you can't really say another person's "type" is ugly just because it's not your type.

I wouldn't give a shit that this site even existed, honestly. I just thought what Gingko pointed out was seriously malicious and fucked up.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post

Either the publishers of this news have a very poor grasp on the material they are analyzing, or they are intentionally making provocative statements for attention. I guess it can be both. This does worry me a little bit since more and more often I see people actually citing the "research" done by OKCupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Some people place a great deal of importance on attractiveness. If we judge those people, wouldn't it be slightly hypocritical?
    Only if the trait we're rejecting is being judgmental. If your beef is instead with superficiality, there's nothing hypocritical about it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    CFV

The virus was quickly named Shrek – after the animated film about how looks should not matter – as it attacked the software used to screen potential members.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Only if the trait we're rejecting is being judgmental. If your beef is instead with superficiality, there's nothing hypocritical about it.
    Who are we to decide superficiality is fundamentally wrong? I just see it as a judgement like any other judgement.

Anyway, these people have their own site. Good for them. I don't see it as elitist at all, just preferential, like some people prefer outdoorsy types and some people prefer tattoos and body piercings.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt. You can replace inferior with anything.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Actually, it isn't a bad idea. Let's say you're really hot, and can make reasonable demands on the looks of a potential mate.
    Then you probably don't want to go through the trouble of meeting a lot of pretty nice but horrendously ugly people (let's face it, ordinary dating sites are probably full of them).
    And yeah, it does matter since you're probably going to have to have sex with someone you're serious about dating.
    True ugliness is a big no-no. Sure, there are bigger no-nos, but hotness level is the initial check you do on a person in real life if you hunt at bars or whatever.
    If someone is pure horror, you simply don't walk up there. If they're cute/hot/beautiful then you do.
    Having a dating site where the creepy and ugly clientele isn't present at does sound like a fairly good idea.
    Until you take into account that these people are probably already getting laid elsewhere, rendering the rest of what I said sort of moot.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Would you join one run by a guy whose every sentence sounds like a line from an Onion article?
    Oh god. It does! Truly, reality is stranger than fiction.