User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default How is politics not a lost cause?

Is there anyone here who doesn't believe deep down that politics is hopeless to really change anything?

& I'm not talking in grandiose terms like 'saving the world' or 'bettering the human condition,' but comparatively simple concepts like preventing Wall Street from ruthlessly stealing everything they can get their hands on & then using it to purchase the federal government, or stopping the pharmaceutical / health insurance industries from criminally ripping off every person they come in contact with... & even littler stuff like stopping pointless wars, legalizing marijuana (how much closer are we even to THAT little goal?), feeding SOME of the hungry, slowing SOME environmental desecration...

Imagine a 15-year-old kid. They're just becoming aware of a world outside themselves, realizing there's a larger world of people out there who wake up every day to war, filth, deprivation. What reason could you honestly give that kid for even caring, to read the news, learn about world affairs, vote, speak out about injustice-- much less dedicate his or her life to changing it? What reason do people coming into the world today have to even care about it when their power to fix anything is infinitesimal?

Discuss!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Honestly, I think a lot of people expect too much of politicians. And I'm completely serious about this. -

In a representative system, the ordinary people are often represented by ordinary politicians.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

With the internet and media and constant surveillance politicians are more clean than ever, but because of those same things people are more cynical. The average scandal gets uncovered much more now.

Just come to grips that politics is theater and a massive chess game and you won't get as pissed off at the process.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Politics are just something that humans do. When people say that politics aren't necessary or that they don't understand politics, I laugh. Politics are about EVERYTHING, any time a group of humans live together, there is going to be politics whether it's called that or not. People are going to have opinions and concerns about how the group shall be managed.

It's just that it's become a huge show like AJ is talkin' bout.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Politics are just something that humans do. When people say that politics aren't necessary or that they don't understand politics, I laugh. Politics are about EVERYTHING, any time a group of humans live together, there is going to be politics whether it's called that or not. People are going to have opinions and concerns about how the group shall be managed.

Get rid of politics!! Ron Paul 2012!! *takes LSD*

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Politic is not a lost cause, it rules the world. To believe that you can change the world is a lost cause because the world is ruled by politics.

Just saying.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Honestly, I think a lot of people expect too much of politicians. And I'm completely serious about this. -
    Lol. I agree, which is absurd because the way politicians most frequently fail to meet people's expectations is by not resisting the temptation to Tweet pictures of their boners to college students, or expose themselves to 15-year-old boys in a public bathroom. Which is doubly sad because those are about the extent of the expectations people do have of politicians. "Yeah, this guy probably won't film himself getting blowjobs in Capitol building. ......Goddamnit!"

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

If what you're saying is right, then the OP just wants to make all the political decisions for us. Isn't that right, OP?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The cleaner they have to appear, the dirtier they are forced to become.

When one can't enjoy the petty vices of those who don't live under the microscope, that need finds more perverse and secretive outlets.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Politic is not a lost cause, it rules the world. To believe that you can change the world is a lost cause because the world is ruled by politics.

Just saying.
    But like I said, I wasn't talking about saving the world. Or anything near as grandiose. I'm talking about any kind of positive initiative one might undertake in the assumption that it could achieved by political means.

Or any means, really. I was using politics as representative of the whole realm of human effort on this planet. Science, technology. Anything seeking to make things better.