Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Politics is anything but a lost cause. A kid learning about the world is so important. Every great leader in the history of the world started there, and so did all the people who made that person great.

Here's why people get frustrated: politics are also slow (well, not from a larger historical perspective, but from an individual one). It takes decades to allow, for example, gay marriage, but by almost all accounts it is going to happen.

Compare today to 100 years ago. Could you imagine any major nation embracing fascism? How about the sheer number of regulations in place to prevent a 2009 recession from spiraling into a 1929 depression? Look at the world 200 years ago. Slavery? That wouldn't be tolerated in even most of the world's least evolved nations today. And a couple hundred years before that was pretty much a non-stop shit show for everyone even compared to the third world. Hell, something like the UN, a collective diplomatic world council, was unthinkable and radical 100 years ago (Wilson's League of Nations idea was contentious or even ridiculous at the time, and that about 90 years back)

Some of that is technology, but it's also all about informed people creating better leadership or forcing the extinction of bad leadership (in fact, a good government/political state feeds into good use/development of technology and knowledge, and vice versa). A huge part of that is politics and the evolution thereof.

You might as well ask why infancy and adolescence, or any prior world experience, is needed to be a productive adult. Even the missteps create things we learn from.
    I so agree with you. One of the things that I thought of was how it took around a century between the end of slavery and the civil rights act.

I think the problem is perception, as I mentioned earlier, we are so bombarded with a variety of information that people are under the delusion sometimes that the world is somehow worse than it ever was even though in many ways it's actually better.

Not to mention that people nowadays seem to want instant results, everything is fast and disposable, and social change isn't going to happen as though it were your burrito at Taco Bell.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Slavery? That wouldn't be tolerated in even most of the world's least evolved nations today.
    I beg to differ. Slavery still occurs today, even in North America.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...t-century.html

The reason is mostly the same - out of sight, out of mind.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    I beg to differ. Slavery still occurs today, even in North America.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...t-century.html

The reason is mostly the same - out of sight, out of mind.
    This is different. At least in the most forward thinking nations, you're talking illegal activity, exactly the kind of thing government is supposed to fight. Comparing illegal sex slave rings in modern nations to institutionalized slavery is like comparing women having no rights legally to a heavily abusive husband, or comparing a place or time where there is no repercussions to committing murder to modern society where we actively seek and attempt to prosecute and imprison murderers.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Effective Institutionalised slavery is permitted in certain countries (as mentioned in the links) which receive substantial foreign investment, so we're not totally out of the woods.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Actually, he's a family man - he's faithful to his wife, they have tantric sex for hours, they live in a castle in the UK, he loves the environment and does humanitarian work.
    You know I read that sentence & immediately forget reading any phrase in it besides "tantric sex for hours".

I'll never be able to tell anyone that Sting is a family man, is faithful, loves the environment, has a castle, & does humanitarian work.

whereas, things I'll be able to tell people about Sting: has tantric sex for hours

MBTI
    INFP

Politics is a continuation of economics by other means.
    War is a continuation of politics by other means.
    Government which governs least, governs best.

Good quotes which says it all

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I occasionally feel embarassed at my lack of interest in politics. My state probably has a lot to do with being an extreme P. But also my personal place in politics as an individual makes no sense to me. True change seems to be more about large massess of humans acting in masse simultaneously, and with usually some sort of hive brain thing going on. The politicians themselves from my point of view just hitch on to movements like this for personal gain. It seems more like some sort of metahuman activity that can and will go on fine without me. And, chances are if I did join the fray I'd just be trampled by the herd going the other direction.