User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    If what you're saying is right, then the OP just wants to make all the political decisions for us. Isn't that right, OP?
    What?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The cleaner they have to appear, the dirtier they are forced to become.

When one can't enjoy the petty vices of those who don't live under the microscope, that need finds more perverse and secretive outlets.
    True.

Also consider this - if a politician is judged in large by his 'character' and in small by his policies, then his "character" is the majority of the iceberg in whether he's elected or impeached. If a scandal occurred, and people knew that the majority of a man's policies are irrelevant from his escapades in bed, then they ought to think less of the man, but not less of his function as a politician.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The cleaner they have to appear, the dirtier they are forced to become.

When one can't enjoy the petty vices of those who don't live under the microscope, that need finds more perverse and secretive outlets.
    Now that there's basically no privacy, a different kind of person is becoming a politician. Shady greedy people who naturally value extreme privacy stay in the private sector more often.

Back in the day politicians were just as secretive, just about worse things.

If what you're saying is right, then the OP just wants to make all the political decisions for us. Isn't that right, OP?
    Political decisions usually involve more than one person. There's personal decisions, and political ones. The easy way out is to say we should just make all our own decisions and become libertarian, but irrational.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

True.

Also consider this - if a politician is judged in large by his 'character' and in small by his policies, then his "character" is the majority of the iceberg in whether he's elected or impeached. If a scandal occurred, and people knew that the majority of a man's policies are irrelevant from his escapades in bed, then they ought to think less of the man, but not less of his function as a politician.
    Obviously you're right but none of that has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

I think you guys fixated on the word "politics" & missed the real question I was trying to ask, which was: why should anyone care about the state of the world? Should they? Why should anyone devote any effort toward fixing any kind of large-scale problem? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't. I'm just wondering if you guys have reasons either way, if you agree or disagree. I'm assuming, for example, that a lot of you guys read the news & pay attention to current events. Why? What is accomplished by learning about things you're powerless over?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Or are you not powerless? What kind of power DO you have? etc.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post

Political decisions usually involve more than one person. There's personal decisions, and political ones. The easy way out is to say we should just make all our own decisions and become libertarian, but irrational.
    I was delibirately being sarcastic. The OP came off as being disillusioned with politics and everything. If he didn't want people making political decisions, but wanted to maintain the livelihood of those people, he would want to become a dictator.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Obviously you're right but none of that has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

I think you guys fixated on the word "politics" & missed the real question I was trying to ask, which was: why should anyone care about the state of the world? Should they? Why should anyone devote any effort toward fixing any kind of large-scale problem? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't. I'm just wondering if you guys have reasons either way, if you agree or disagree. I'm assuming, for example, that a lot of you guys read the news & pay attention to current events. Why? What is accomplished by learning about things you're powerless over?
    Even if you were powerless over it, by understanding it, it may lose its power over you.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think you guys fixated on the word "politics" & missed the real question I was trying to ask, which was: why should anyone care about the state of the world?
    You don't have to. Some people do. I cared when I was much younger than 15, that's for damn sure. I think it helps to have a family (or a life experience) that forces you to see there is a world beyond yourself and your town.

Should they? Why should anyone devote any effort toward fixing any kind of large-scale problem?
    Because it has happened in the past, it has worked before, and if we give up that's just apathy.

I mean you don't have to do anything. You're free to not get involved. There's enough people in the world that you don't have to get involved if you don't want to. Lots of people don't.

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't. I'm just wondering if you guys have reasons either way, if you agree or disagree. I'm assuming, for example, that a lot of you guys read the news & pay attention to current events. Why? What is accomplished by learning about things you're powerless over?
    It's made me a less ignorant person and given me a richer and more realistic understanding of the human experience, even if I can't do anything about it, I can make small decisions that are motivated by my ethics.

This feeling of being overwhelmed is common these days, I think. The world hasn't gotten any worse...I think it's just that we are exposed to too much information so we can't even wrap our minds around it, some of us. It seems so terrible, but it always has been, there have always been fires and wars and child molesters.

You can do your part to push things in the direction you want. Or not. It's entirely up to you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Even if you were powerless over it, by understanding it, it may lose its power over you.
    I can understand that. But paradoxically it could also gain power over you, in that it could come to dominate your thinking. You might start out imagining yourself in opposition to those in power (for lack of a better phrase), but end up living your life focused on their beliefs & actions,filling your mind with their ugliness. It's like the idea that the opposite of love isn't hate but indifference, because with indifference whatever would otherwise be bothering you isn't even in your realm of consciousness. Whereas when you hate something it can circle back around to where you may as well love it, because you're spending just as much time thinking about it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can understand that. But paradoxically it could also gain power over you, in that it could come to dominate your thinking. You imagine yourself in opposition to those in power (for lack of a better phrase), but you end up living your life focused on their words & actions, filling your mind with their ugliness. It's like the opposite of love isn't hate but indifference, because with indifference whatever would otherwise be bothering you isn't even in your realm of consciousness. Whereas when you hate something it can circle back around to where you may as well love it, in that you're spending just as much time thinking about it.
    If you frequently imagine yourself in opposition to those in power, you might be an enneagram 6.

Typically cute boys dominate my thinking, and admittedly, the Prime Minister of Russia is kind of hot for an old man.

Seriously, though, either you have the bent toward politics or you don't. Politics generally interest me, so does history. But ancient history doesn't, and neither does militaristic strategy, which is an element of politics. I care, like many people with my particular belief system, about the health and cohesion of a cooperative society where people are still free enough to be individuals and not feel like they're under any kind of authoritarian rule.

I know a guy who is obsessed with politics, he's INTP and a PhD. He had to like break himself from it, like it was an addiction that was making him miserable.

I've also had to get some perspective about what I can do, and what I can't.