User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Canada riot

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by InTheFlesh View Post
    This statement really, really bothers me, but that's another topic.

The riots weren't originally started by those involved with the hockey, a group of anarchists took advantage of the crowd already in an aggressive, angry mood because of the loss in a really close series, whose outcome was a result of the horrible play of a goalie (which would have just added to how upset people were). There have been riots in the past attributed to the anarchists in that area. This is not an isolated event blamable purely on enraged sports fans, this is a problem brought about by the follow-the-leader mentality manifested in western culture. Do your research before you blame it on the 'druggy population'.

teamhttp://www.vancouversun.com/health/Vancouver+mayor+police+chief+blame+Stanley+riot+an archists/4958411/story.html
    Alright, that's enough of putting words into my mouth. Never did I once blame it on druggies- At all. My point about druggies was actually the Vancouver area. I blamed it on stupid people, obviously. When I mentioned primitives? There. When I mentioned that bit about druggies, I was stating that a lot of close minded people assume that Canada, that everywhere there is a peaceful place. They have free health care!! They are all so nice! Which is why it came as such a huge shock to a few people that I know.

I Have done my research and I've watched documentaries and googled information about Vancouver and there are A LOT of drug addicts there, in fact, that's what I meant about most of the druggy population being there. I meant Vancouver. Don't assume anymore, kthx plox.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Vancouver riot, not Canada riot. The rest of us had nothing to do with it.

Made for some interesting photo ops:

And some interesting photo chops:

Same difference because it's in Canada. It happened in the country. I'm not too big on specifics and since
    I posted about this very story in this very city, I shouldn't have to add where it happened- You should know.

Also, I never said that EVERYONE is alike there.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    That's exactly the thing I find most uncomfortable and incromprehensible about sports.

Things like this are just bound to happen every now and then when a large group of people gets together for something that gets people's emotions up. I'm not so much surprised to read about a crowd losing self-control than about the police handling the affair in such a sensible and de-escalating way.

I've come to know Canadians as very friendly and polite, and my opinion hasn't changed a bit.
    I know a few Canadians who are genuinely so kind, that they rot my teeth. Seriously, this actually did shock me a little
    but not that much when it comes to people having a herd mentality like that.

I mean, it's hockey. It's an aggressive sport. Some people are influenced by the aggressiveness and see their team
    getting pummeled and it really pisses them off. It's just another form of putting a gap between people.

That's my take on sports, anyway, well most aggressive sports that is. I think the only sport I like is baseball.
    Seems like more of a civil sport. At least compared to football and hockey.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    CFV

Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    Alright, that's enough of putting words into my mouth. Never did I once blame it on druggies- At all. My point about druggies was actually the Vancouver area. I blamed it on stupid people, obviously. When I mentioned primitives? There. When I mentioned that bit about druggies, I was stating that a lot of close minded people assume that Canada, that everywhere there is a peaceful place. They have free health care!! They are all so nice! Which is why it came as such a huge shock to a few people that I know.

I Have done my research and I've watched documentaries and googled information about Vancouver and there are A LOT of drug addicts there, in fact, that's what I meant about most of the druggy population being there. I meant Vancouver. Don't assume anymore, kthx plox.
    I didn't assume anything, you implied that drug users are inherently stupid and prone to violence, which I think is both a gross stretch of the truth and an incredibly flawed statement. There's a reason I said my problem was off topic, informing you that it wasn't directly related to what we're talking about.
    Chill, buddy.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by InTheFlesh View Post
    I didn't assume anything, you implied that drug users are inherently stupid and prone to violence, which I think is both a gross stretch of the truth and an incredibly flawed statement. There's a reason I said my problem was off topic, informing you that it wasn't directly related to what we're talking about.
    Chill, buddy.
    It is an incredibly flawed statement. Though, it wasn't made by me. No where in my post did I state that drug users are inherently stupid and prone to violence. You're pulling that from somewhere else, not from me. Please stop being pedantic with my original post and move on. I'm sorry you're tripping over the details and feeling like it was unfair.

Getting hung up on this is going to force this thread into the graveyard. Please keep going and stay on topic. I ask that of everyone. Please don't get hung up on things you think I should have posted, or areas I should have explained more. I really wanted your perspective on the whole ordeal- Not how I go about making a thread. Thank you.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Finally found a video of the couple interview and the explanation behind the photo of them;

Enneagram
    CFV

Quote Originally Posted by Meek View Post
    It is an incredibly flawed statement. Though, it wasn't made by me. No where in my post did I state that drug users are inherently stupid and prone to violence. You're pulling that from somewhere else, not from me. Please stop being pedantic with my original post and move on. I'm sorry you're tripping over the details and feeling like it was unfair.

Getting hung up on this is going to force this thread into the graveyard. Please keep going and stay on topic. I ask that of everyone. Please don't get hung up on things you think I should have posted, or areas I should have explained more. I really wanted your perspective on the whole ordeal- Not how I go about making a thread. Thank you.
    tl;dr - It's excusable if I do it and we shouldn't focus on things I do that make me look bad.

/thread interaction

MBTI
    intp

There is quite a bit of innuendo in your opening post, whether you intended it or not. Vancouver does have a drug problem, the consequence of inadequate mental health services and the the most temperate climate in the country. This problem is unrelated to the riot, however, which was composed largely of 15- 25-year-old drunken idiots. I'm not entirely certain why you brought this up.

People like to have parties, and Vancouver had good reason to celebrate. The larger the crowd, the more likely some idiots will ruin it for everybody, and that's exactly what happened. Same as has happened in the past in Detroit and Cleveland and countless football games, and will doubtless continue happening as long as idiots and beer exist.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    There is quite a bit of innuendo in your opening post, whether you intended it or not. Vancouver does have a drug problem, the consequence of inadequate mental health services and the the most temperate climate in the country. This problem is unrelated to the riot, however, which was composed largely of 15- 25-year-old drunken idiots. I'm not entirely certain why you brought this up.

People like to have parties, and Vancouver had good reason to celebrate. The larger the crowd, the more likely some idiots will ruin it for everybody, and that's exactly what happened. Same as has happened in the past in Detroit and Cleveland and countless football games, and will doubtless continue happening as long as idiots and beer exist.
    -Sigh- Seriously don't know why people are being do pedantic with this thread. Stop getting so hung up on things you've assumed and stick to the topic. Here, let me -explain- why you've got it wrong.

From my original post:
    I think it's funny when people have assumed that Canada is supposed to be a peaceful environment, lololol when most of the druggy population is there.
    When I said "Canada" I meant Vancouver. You would have seen this edit in a later post. The reason I mentioned drugs is because of the reaction of most people to this riot, assuming that ALL of Canada is a huge peaceful country, when it's not like that all over. Understand now?

I also mentioned the drunk idiots in my post, too. Alcohol can really make people dumb, if not dumber than they already are.