User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    STFU

Default how do Obama supporters justify our involvement in Libya?

so i am just curious... lots of democrats (and other people, but right now i'm talking about democrats and supporters of the current administration) lamented Bush's war in Iraq as illegal, unfounded and unnecessary while we were invading them. i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's stance, just stating an observation. i mean, they were very passionate about this.

also, a lot of democrats these days still very much support Obama. I live in chicago, and its definitely his territory here.

so how can such fervent supporters of president Obama (and lamenters of Bush) justify the U.S.'s current involvement in the Libyan war with a straight face?

seems a bit hypocritical to me. it seems to be just as shady or even more shady than the Iraqi invasion, considering Qaddafi is not a direct WMA threat to us in the same way Saddam was supposed to be.

so please, democrats, stand by your man and explain how this is ok. I'm pretty sure if Bush was the one doing this you guys would be frothing at the mouths like rabid, cursing, pentecostal gypsy witchdoctors.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INFP

they cannot, it didn't even go through congress or the senate. Obama just had a discussion with the UN or Nato, one of the two

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    they cannot, it didn't even go through congress or the senate. Obama just had a discussion with the UN or Nato, one of the two
    right, and the Bush administration lied and bullied their way to getting the iraqi invasion approved by our lawmakers, which many republicans found ways to openly justify during both his terms.

The thing is, its looking like Obama's also gonna get voted into a second term so i am sure there have to be people who support him enough to justify his actions either to themselves or other people. i have yet to hear anything from their side on this issue.

keep in mind i don't own a t.v. so i don't really have access to what the pro-Obama pundits are saying on the news. i'd rather hear from the informed, intelligent liberals on typec.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think that either Libya or Iraq where threats to the west, all the reasons why the Iraq war happened are open to debate and discussion because I still dont know what to think and I've heard many, many theories (including the possibility of a US internal coup requiring the US to appear totally isolated in a hostile, unsympathetic world) but I think the reason for US action in Libya is that it didnt want to be seen sitting on the sidelines while the UK and France fought a war.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    What the President can/can't do or what degree of military action he can take is a pretty complicated issue in America. A lot of it dates back to the Tonkin Gulf Resolution. I think there's a lot of freedom when war isn't formally declared and/or ground troops aren't committed. Without addressing whether this action was justified or not, moral or not, smart or not*, some level of military action okayed by the President sans Legislative approval isn't unheard of or even uncommon necessarily.

*the fact is this issue is complicated. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it, though it is pretty clear, when comparing it to Iraq, this won't have nearly the wide-reaching and long-lasting implications. Iraq is clearly the more costly of the two.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Sniffles

It's simple party politics; it's only wrong when the other guys do it.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I'm an obama supporter and I don't think it was justified.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's always in question how much power the president has to influence these politics, as stated above there are a lot of lobbies and parties involved you have to gain control over. It would surprise me if the president could really do everything he wanted, I am convinced politics is more complicated than that.

Regarding your opinion and if the administration is acting accordingly, well in Germanys past there was only one president who said before his election that he will do all the things people wanted and later when he was elected he infact did everything the population wanted and a little bit more. That man was Adolf Hitler, but somehow he wasnt the right man for the job aswell
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.
    +1. It's annoying to me how a lot of people can only see their side. Ugh..... hypocrites. Fans are the most annoying people on earth.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype