User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Absolutely not. A child, especially an infant, doesn't have the ability to make an educated decision on the matter, therefore I can't help but view doing so as an infringement of their human rights. A child wouldn't be fully aware of the social implications of tattoos, nor grasp the concept of permanence or significance behind them. For a parent to do so would basically be them projecting their own views on the matter onto their offspring.

Anew Leaf

If I had twins/triplets () that were identical, I would probably have some sort of (small) identifying marker tattooed onto them. I can't keep track of which purse is mine at work.... this seems like it has the potential to be even more alarming.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    If I had twins/triplets () that were identical, I would probably have some sort of (small) identifying marker tattooed onto them. I can't keep track of which purse is mine at work.... this seems like it has the potential to be even more alarming.
    You know, i've always thought of doing this if i had twins/triplets.. it's my payback for them ruining my stomach with their large babiness.

Oh also, because babies all look alike and i'd want to know which one was really my favourite.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

nope. took me 20+ years to decide to get a tattoo myself, i wouldn't want to make that decision for a child. there should be plenty of other ways of identifying your baby anyway... get their DNA run via blood sample and keep that around. there are companies that make DNA ID cards, i think that's pretty cool.

i'm not really for ear piercing, either. when the baby's young earrings are a choking hazard anyway. pierced ears are sort of a valuable lesson if the child is aware... imo, better to deal with that pain when you're older and can understand that it's a "good" pain, and to learn to keep up with the cleaning regimen and whatnot, than to plague a toddler or infant who can't understand the source or purpose of the pain. it's the same with a tattoo, which requires upkeep and protection for the first few weeks.

not to mention a tattoo would probably feel like hell on sensitive baby skin!

i just don't see any harm in not doing it, while there is ample physical harm in doing it. seems like a no-brainer to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm going to tattoo mine "Product of [Meta]...The one that made it."
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If I was a native in a tribe where these things were generally done, I'd not think twice about it..

But being from the culture I am.. I'll let the child decide if they want one or not.. when they aren't a child anymore.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'm going to tattoo mine "Product of [Meta]...The one that made it."
    Is it like a collectors item? "1 of 10 11"
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    STP

I don't think babies will ever be tattooed... the skin would stretch too much.

Permabanned

I'm not sure that the state should usurp the authority or cultural practices of parents and families
    I'm not sure either. I think it's currently the fundamental question in my life at this point. If and when I do have kids..will they be my kids to do with as I please? Or will they be society's kids..me and my spouse being nothing more than agents adding to the number of "in the way people" and thus continuing a cycle that seems to have no real end, at least for the foreseeable future?

When I have kids, will I really be having kids?

Obviously, the answer isn't going to be either x or y...in the "real world" the answer is almost always a mixture of x and y. The real question becomes..how much of x and how much of y? How do you deal with people who favor a mix of x and y different from your own? Live and let live? Eat or get eaten?

I like how everyone assumes it has to be an artistic piece. Three little dots on the hairline in a certain pattern or color is almost impossible to notice. Your child will most likely have more noticeable natural markings such as freckles, moles, birthmarks, etc... If a kidnapper notices the distinguishing mark it is useless as it will most likely be covered up or removed. It would need to be small and unique. Also, if your child is reasonable in the least bit he/she would understand the reason for doing it. It was not an attempt from their parent to ruin their body, but a way to insure the child's identity. I don't believe, as long as you did this respectfully, that you're child would hate you for it. As long as it again is not a large or personal piece how could a child really be mad? Should I be angry at my parents or the few freckles on my face or the large red birth mark on my neck? (as you can imagine people stare at that all the time and assume I am a "skank" because it looks like a hickey) The tattoo would be in a less obvious spot and most likely smaller. I think my favorite thing reading through these comments though has been that nobody has brought up the health risks. The tattoo could get infected and cause other health problems. Just another thought.