User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I'd never tattoo a child.

I'd consider piercing my daughters ears at a young age. But nothing past that.

I'm not sure I'd even circumcise my kids either.
    Absolutely. I would never even force my kids to eat veggies either or pay attention or behave or take a bath, because if they don't agree with what I want them to do what kind of parent would I be by coercing them to do it? Forcing any minor to do anything at all is wrong and the kinds of parents who would do things like that ought to be tortured, tied up, cooked alive and then fed to starving kids in Haiti.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    Absolutely. I would never even force my kids to eat veggies either or pay attention or behave or take a bath, because if they don't agree with what I want them to do what kind of parent would I be by coercing them to do it? Forcing any minor to do anything at all is wrong and the kinds of parents who would do things like that ought to be tortured, tied up, cooked alive and then fed to starving kids in Haiti.
    You do what's in the child's best interest. Tattooing an infant with elaborate artistic designs probably wouldn't yield good consequences even a few steps later in life. Then again, under the right conditions, it might. The parent is the only agent of free will a baby has.

It's not like

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vala Faye View Post
    When I came in here, I thought you might go the 'protection/identification' way. That I c an understand, so you'll recognize your baby, if they get kidnapped and stuff. Positive ID. OTOH, tattoos tend to be butt-ugly when they get stretched and a baby tends to grow..a lot. Might as well jus lo-jack 'em, with a registered chip. Still..invasion of privacy, etc etc. So no. Perhaps you could 'birthmark' em (fake birthmark), just in case..
    Agreed. Actually the stretching of the skin was one of the first things I thought of. Other immediate thoughts:

- it's the kid's body and I don't think I have the right to leave unnecessary irreversable marks on their body at an age where they can't decide for themselves

- what if I tattoo Donald Duck on my baby and it grows up hating DD and/or the tatoo? Serioulsy, if it is supposed to be for aesthetic purposes, it has to fit my child's taste, not mine! Seems like a gross violation of the child's rights and autonomy

- as a perceiver I shun everything irreversable anyway, which has always kept me from getting one myself

- the situation might be slightly different in a tribal culture setting, where tattoos have a different meaning and the choices offered to any person are different from a western industrial environment, I'd have to think about this some more though, since it's a very interesting point!

- the kidnapping thing never even occured to me because
    a) I consider the chances to become the victim of a crime like that extremely low (again, western world setting),
    b) what about DNA? Since when is a tattoo the only way of identifying a baby?? This reminds me of the number people used to tattoo on their cat or dog before implanted transponder chip took their place. Would you implant a chip in your kid to always know where they are? "Jimmy, I know you didn't go to music class today like you said you would, you hang out with your friends at the park!"
    c) if a child is kidnapped for human trafficking, the problem would be finding it in the first place, not identifying it...hmm, so maybe the transponder chips isn't such a bad idea after all

As for ear rings,I know that many parents pierce their daughter's ears at a very early age so that they don't have to do it later on. While I consider this less invasive than some of the other options discussed here, I am highly skeptical.
    - it should be the kid's whish and they should know what they are doing i.e be older
    - why the daughters? This seems like telling my child at a very early age that I expect her to follow a certain path.

What this seems to boil down to is balancing the rights of the parent versus the right of a baby or little child who can not yet speak for themselves but will have to carry the consequences of the parent's decision. You might say that this holds true for any parenting decision, but as I said, I think the cons outway the pros (if there really are any at all). In the case of outlawing child tattoos, the public seeks to protect a child from its parents. Granted, this is a very thin line, but the general principle behind it holds, just think of social services intervening in cases of child abuse, etc.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

figsfiggyfigs

Maybe you quoted the wrong person. But I clearly stated things that would cause unnecessary pain on a child, with no beneficial results. That is not equivalent to feeding your child healthy foods(beneficial).

MBTI
    INTP

Well I do know that tattoos can be attractive. Why wouldn't you want to make your child more attractive? I honestly can't see any reason why we shouldn't arbitrarily tattoo babies. Besides, unlike circumcision, tattoos are totally reversible

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

yes, i want my child to look exactly like this:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It would be cool to tattoo a baby on my baby so that it would always look like a baby even if it wasn't.
    (Or "I Love Mommy 4ever"?)

That aside, though, I don't see the point in tattooing babies. People just don't like people doing stuff to their bodies without their permission. Intersexed kids are upset that doctors operate on them at birth; some guys are upset their parents got them circumcisions.

A baby doesn't need a permanent tattoo. It's the parent putting something on the baby that, while it might be removable, it's still painful and a PitA to get off, and costs money. it's for the parent, with inconvenience and some pain for the baby. Why?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    You do what's in the child's best interest. Tattooing an infant with elaborate artistic designs probably wouldn't yield good consequences even a few steps later in life. Then again, under the right conditions, it might. The parent is the only agent of free will a baby has.

It's not like

One part of the OP had to do with tattooing kids for identification purposes, which would be great if someone was kidnapped as a young child and ended up in the hands of some authority, be it police or a hospital, for whatever reason. Would it prevent kids from being kidnapped in the first place? Would it help in recovering kidnapped kids? No one knows because it's not common. Obviously an electronic chip that could be scanned to bring up the individuals dob, parents, etc would be superior to a tattoo since tattoos are more easily removed but there are ways to tattoo someone that wouldn't be apparent - in between toes, on the scalp, bottom of feet, etc. I agree that artistic tattoos are a bad idea on a kid, but I also was making the point that kids are forced to do a lot of things that are painful and in some cases, such as this, the possible benefits seem to outweigh the short period of pain a kid would have to endure. If it's a cultural practice I don't think any law should be made to prevent tattooing of kids, which doesn't seem to be an issue of any sort in developed nations anyway.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Maybe you quoted the wrong person. But I clearly stated things that would cause unnecessary pain on a child, with no beneficial results. That is not equivalent to feeding your child healthy foods(beneficial).
    No, I was trying to double-quote you and gink at one time and it failed. People tend to disagree on what a "beneficial result" is. If, as in Lark's example, someone would be stigmatized by a lack of tattoos wouldn't it be beneficial for that individual to be tattooed, regardless of a little pain?

That's funny because you've lampooned the parallel between American liberalism and neglectful parenting by using extreme examples pretty well.