User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Lights out for earth hour at 8pm

That's 8pm where ever you are. 100 million are expected to do it this year. Then if you are like me you can go back to driving your gas guzzler tommorow.

Sounds like a nice bit of slacktivisim. Yet another empty gesture that solves absolutely nothing.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Sounds like a nice bit of slacktivisim. Yet another empty gesture that solves absolutely nothing.
    Not true. It takes time for behavior and attitudes to change. If we were to do nothing, nothing would ever change. We have to continually do things like this to keep the issue alive in peoples minds.

I drive a gas guzzler, but it is not without guilt. I am seriously considering an environmentally friendly car. But I don't particularly want to drive something that looks like a converted hotdog stand. Car makers are working hard to build more and more environmentally friendly cars. They are market driven companies that are fierily competing with one another. If the market is asking, they will build.

Turn off the negative slacktitude.
    Last edited by LostInNerSpace; 03-29-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typographical deviations from the mean

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That seems like an interesting gesture, but why an hour? I could see it helping a bit if everyone who could reasonably do so did it for, say, an entire weekend. But with volunteers doing it for an hour? Not as much.

Why is it that people buy the large cars that take up so much fuel rather than simply using compact ones? They don't break down as often, use less fuel, and and are more maneuverable. I guess it betrays a bias that people think "bigger is better." I've really never gotten that...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Sorry, I was watching my big-ass TV at 8pm.

MBTI
    ISTx

There will be plenty of lights-off time when an asteroid knocks us the fuck out of orbit. Our time will come when it does, until then, use the conveniences we possess.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That seems like an interesting gesture, but why an hour? I could see it helping a bit if everyone who could reasonably do so did it for, say, an entire weekend. But with volunteers doing it for an hour? Not as much.

Why is it that people buy the large cars that take up so much fuel rather than simply using compact ones? They don't break down as often, use less fuel, and and are more maneuverable. I guess it betrays a bias that people think "bigger is better." I've really never gotten that...

It is more of a political statement on energy issues.

I didn't do anything, just watched tv.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

We have decided to interrupt our DVD (Atonement) midway at 8pm, turn off all our our electronic gadgetry, light a fire in the fireplace, and read by candle-light for an hour.

What are others doing?
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    We have decided to interrupt our DVD (Atonement) midway at 8pm, turn off all our our electronic gadgetry, light a fire in the fireplace, and read by candle-light for an hour.

What are others doing?
    Isn't the idea to lower your carbon output?

Edit: I get my power from a hydro dam so I'll be keeping my electrical gadgets on. Fuck this noise.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Sorry I was working at Circuit City at 8 and every single one of our 45 inch plasma screen TVs were on! LMAO oh and I was useing a computer myself for oh about ten hours of the day.
    SDMF