User Tag List

First 123 Last

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Amusingly enough, I was at a Jack Johnson concert at the time...

He did turn out the lights for one song as a symbolic gesture, because he'd already booked the show by the time he heard about it and thus couldn't exactly stop for an hour in the middle of a concert.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I did it
    (It was also a good excuse not to study; it was too dark to read.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

I was working in the office. I don't turn the lights on anyway.

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    Not true. It takes time for behavior and attitudes to change. If we were to do nothing, nothing would ever change. We have to continually do things like this to keep the issue alive in peoples minds.

I drive a gas guzzler, but it is not without guilt. I am seriously considering an environmentally friendly car. But I don't particularly want to drive something that looks like a converted hotdog stand. Car makers are working hard to build more and more environmentally friendly cars. They are market driven companies that are fierily competing with one another. If the market is asking, they will build.

Turn off the negative slacktitude.
    Errr... It’s not like we bought the gas guzzler in the first place. We made our choice at purchase.

Yes, it is slacktivism.

If people wanted to make a REAL difference, then they'd petition the government to stop low cost, disposable and unnecessary items being demanded and imported from China in the first place. Putting tax on air travel is just stupid (It’s just an envy tax), the real action is in the billions of disposal items we seem to need for about 2 seconds. What about all that crap that comes through our letterboxes when it could be online?

If we really cared we WOULDN'T trade with China and India etc, as we are just stoking their growth which is the main driver for accelerating pollution!!

But I heard it all before, nobody really gives a damn and just like British cities were really polluted during the industrial revolution... technology will solve it again in the future.

I like global warming; it’s great for the weather here. More rain, hotter summers, excellent. Besides, all the greenies now have to accept that nuclear power is the way to go... they should turn their power off forever in protest.. Yeah get a windmill hippies...

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Isn't the idea to lower your carbon output?

Edit: I get my power from a hydro dam so I'll be keeping my electrical gadgets on. Fuck this noise.
    You're the one who seems to be shouting.

You might want to rethink that "the best defense is a good offense" strategy.

I'll stick to seeking solutions. If you don't see a problem, fine.

I personally can't afford to take a "wait and see" attitude. I have nieces and nephews who will inherit this world. I'd like to do what I can to leave it in the best condition possible.

Earth Hour raised awareness. There's more to be done.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    You're the one who seems to be shouting.

You might want to rethink that "the best defense is a good offense" strategy.

I'll stick to seeking solutions. If you don't see a problem, fine.
    I didn't say there isn't a problem. I think people should be doing something substantive towards solving the problem. Replace their incandescent lights for something more efficient, turn down the temperature of their water heater. Something that will actually reduce their power consumption.

Turning out the lights for an hour is masturbation. Building a fire when the whole point of that hour is to not consume energy or pollute deserves an epic facepalm.

I personally can't afford to take a "wait and see" attitude. I have nieces and nephews who will inherit this world. I'd like to do what I can to leave it in the best condition possible.
    You can turn out all the lights you want but when China and India are taken into account I'd say we're boned.

Earth Hour raised awareness. There's more to be done.
    "Raising awareness" is at the top of my list of Stupid Shit I Hate. Lots of talking, nothing is accomplished and it's always for an issue which only the eyeless salamanders who live at the bottom of remote caves don't know about.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I didn't turn on the lights because I almost never turn on the lights.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Building a fire when the whole point of that hour is to not consume energy or pollute deserves an epic facepalm.
    Are you threatening to slap me?

That's inappropriate.

As for hating, enjoy yourself. Sooner or later all those toxins will kill you.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    Are you threatening to slap me?

That's inappropriate.
    Not exactly. He was saying that he felt you deserved to be slapped, not that he wished to do so.

It was insulting, but not threatening. Slightly different category.

His point was that creating a fire would generate so much smoke and carbon dioxide that it would more than offset the positive effect on the environment of turning off your electric lights, such that you might actually worsen the environment slightly rather than improve it. Depending on the size of the fire, the material burned, and the construction/quality of your chimney filter, that may or may not be true.

He owes you an apology (at least) for saying that you deserve to be slapped, but not for making that point.

MBTI
    INFP

No.... he was not saying that you deserved to be slapped, anii. He was saying that building a fire when the sole point is to conserve energy (and not pollute) is deserving of another person to slap their own palm to their own forehead at the irony (I can't seem to think of a word for this!) of the situation. You can google the meme "facepalm' if you wish to have a visual of this.