User Tag List

1231151 Last

Default Circumcision ban in San Francisco?

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...077240,00.html

First thought: Don't people have other problems?

Second thought: Reading that San Francisco seems like the last city I would want to live in. Too many self-righteous liberals who remind me in their zealotry of religious fundamentalists. No thank you.

What are your thoughts?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

If body-modification in the name of religion is allowed, there is no reason to stop the amputation of hands according to Sharia. I'm sure that will be the next big thing.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Male circumcision in the U.S. is done mostly for health reasons and does no harm; I've been circumcised for that same reason and I'm all fine with it. Such a ban seems to be rather stupid in all honesty; having a little skin removed from the penis should not be illegal.

Also, isn't San Francisco a highly liberal and tolerant city?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Male circumcision in the U.S. is done mostly for health reasons and does no harm; I've been circumcised for that same reason and I'm all fine with it. Such a ban seems to be rather stupid in all honesty; having a little skin removed from the penis should not be illegal.

A ballot that wasn't intended to be religious turns religious.

-------------

Either way, the way the ballot was created wasn't the best of options. I would of framed it in a way that the children should have a say, when they grow up, whether they want circumcision or not, not the religious group, and certainly not the parents. That way, the focus is on the child and not the religious group.

A complete ban on circumcision is like an ultimatum of abortion rights, and it goes nowhere fast (and I'm speaking of the religious right.)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What are your thoughts?
    Certain San Fransiscans occasionally turn that place into America's own little slice of hell.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Certain San Fransiscans occasionally turn that place into America's own little slice of hell.
    Sure beats a lot of other places though.

Speaking of San Francisco.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Seems like a great place outside of the super crunchy granola crowd.

Didn't they try to ban Mickey D's a while back?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Seems like a great place outside of the super crunchy granola crowd.

Didn't they try to ban Mickey D's a while back?
    It was all meals that did not meet a certain nutritional standard, it just so happens practically all of the Happy Meals did not meet that standard.

But I mean, you can just drive to Oakland if you were that desperate for a Happy Meal toy.

And I believe it passed. I'm not a SF native (not even a bay native,) but I like going there from time to time.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Doesn't sound a lot different than the same fervor driving things like Prop 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    I could be speaking out of line, since I haven't recently done detailed reading on San Fran to confirm all this, but from what I've intuited through various conversations with friends and what I've seen in the sort of political arguments occurring across the LGBT spectrum (i.e., in-fighting) is that the liberalism there is as rigid as any conservatism that people complain about elsewhere. Rigidity sucks no matter what form it's in.

As far as circumcision goes, I'm not sure how many insurance companies still pay for it (mostly because my kids are teens now). I remember ten years ago there was a lot of talk about insurance companies starting to balk because the surgery is now technically "elective."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Parents already have the right to refuse to have little johnny cut. No need for a law.
    Yes SF can be dramatically wierd.
    But it still kicks ass! I love it.