User Tag List

First 567891757 Last

A window to the soul

@Ivy: I suppose you wanted me to read the AAP article. I found this excerpt from the article interesting...

Existing scientific evidence demonstrates potential medical benefits of newborn male circumcision; however, these data are not sufficient to recommend routine neonatal circumcision. In the case of circumcision, in which there are potential benefits and risks, yet the procedure is not essential to the child's current well-being, parents should determine what is in the best interest of the child. To make an informed choice, parents of all male infants should be given accurate and unbiased information and be provided the opportunity to discuss this decision. It is legitimate for parents to take into account cultural, religious, and ethnic traditions, in addition to the medical factors, when making this decision. Analgesia is safe and effective in reducing the procedural pain associated with circumcision; therefore, if a decision for circumcision is made, procedural analgesia should be provided. If circumcision is performed in the newborn period, it should only be done on infants who are stable and healthy.

MBTI
    INTP

genital mutilation never really sat well with me

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    @Ivy: I suppose you wanted me to read the AAP article. I found this excerpt from the article interesting...
    I was hoping that people would read it. It's the most friendly-to-circumcision of all the major medical organizations' policy statements, and even it doesn't recommend routine infant circumcision.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It should only be allowed for medical reasons, not "personal" reasons (abortion is completely different IMHO, since arguments in its favor generally start from considering an embryo as not fully "human" up to X days from its conception), so I don't think this ban is unrealistic. However, I've flamed multiple times on this forum regarding the same issue, so I don't expect my position to be popular.
    From my perspective it doesn't have anything to do with politics, since one's own body integrity is a basic right, favored by any modern party.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Most American adult males are circumcized, so this must be new? This statistic about only half of male infants being circumsized? So this is in children?

Really? I would think there was a lot less circumcision in Western Europe, come on now.
    Actually in Western Europe circumcising your son for no medical reason is considered barbaric and brutal, just as if you were to peel of part of his say, belly skin, just because "it is traditional to do so".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Actually in Western Europe circumcising your son for no medical reason is considered barbaric and brutal, just as if you were to peel of part of his say, belly skin, just because "it is traditional to do so".
    Yeah that's what I'm saying, she said that the United States had the lowest circumcisions of Western nations and I thought, no I don't think that's right at all, they probably have the most.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah that's what I'm saying, she said that the United States had the lowest circumcisions of Western nations and I thought, no I don't think that's right at all, they probably have the most.
    I think you misunderstood- I said that it was only 50% here, and even lower in other parts of the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    It's not "standard procedure" anymore. Only about half of infant boys in the United States are circumcised. It's a much lower percentage in most other Western countries.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, okay, my bad.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

This might be a useful thread for helping to determine type. If you have a strong opinion either way, that may indicate strong use of a feeling function. If you have an opinion, but hedged in some manner, that may indicate preferring thinking functions. The stronger and more normative the position, the more likely that you're opining through Fi/Te. A conflicted attitude may demonstrate Ti, as this is the sort of issue that it cannot address very well. Finally, an attitude of bewilderment may express Fe, as the practice doesn't cause any social instability.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Great, now I'm an ENTP.