User Tag List

First 456781656 Last

A window to the soul

@Magic P: I don't know. I'm way out of my league with this topic.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Okay - check this out - the argument for it being standard procedure actually does work if the person will be seen as less "normal" because of not having the standard procedure.

This is principally for aesthetic reasons, I would think, but it does fall within common concerns in the human experience.

It's also standard procedure for people to get dressed in the morning before they go outside.
    I don't take issue with that at all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I don't take issue with that at all.
    In the case of circumcision a common argument that is made, like Ivy mentioned with the locker room teasing...and in other cases with people even fearing for their son's future sex life...is the appearance.

However, I think the most common argument made is the cleanliness aspect, bacterial infections, et al.

A window to the soul

In the case of circumcision a common argument that is made, like Ivy mentioned with the locker room teasing...and in other cases with people even fearing for their son's future sex life...is the appearance.

However, I think the most common argument made is the cleanliness aspect, bacterial infections, et al.
    Understood. The later arguments that you pointed out are the ones that led me to believe circumcision is a standard practice worth exploring. I think if it were me with a baby making the decision, I would get opinions from several doctors and do further cost-benefit analysis.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Neither of those arguments hold up, IMO. Like I said earlier, there is absolutely no reason an uncircumcised penis should be harder to clean- all the guy has to do is pull the skin back and clean it like he would otherwise. Everybody needs to clean their junk. It was once thought that boys and men with uncircumcised penises got more urinary tract infections, but that turns out not to be the case. The link I put up earlier is the American Academy of Pediatrics' statement on circumcision (which is basically that there are both risks and benefits to it, but that neither is overwhelming, so there's no medical reason to do it routinely to every baby boy NOR should it be outlawed). Here it is again:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;103/3/686

As usual, the Aussies seem to have the most reasonable argument: "In its position statement, the Australian College of Paediatrics emphasized that in all cases, the medical attendant should avoid exaggeration of either risks or benefits of this procedure."

A window to the soul

^ I hear what you're saying, but there are varying professional opinions about that from what I gathered Google'ing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sure. There are plenty of old-fashioned doctors out there who promote outdated science. But none of the major medical organizations recommend it be done routinely to all male babies.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Sure. There are plenty of old-fashioned doctors out there who promote outdated science. But none of the major medical organizations recommend it be done routinely to all male babies.
    That makes sense. Are there exceptions? If so, what are they? Based on your last sentence, it sounds like there are.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

This seems like it's discrimination against Jewish people, in particular, because it's part of their religious custom. But on the other hand, some people see all circumcision as a brutal, unnecessary act.
    FWIW, many, if not most, of the leaders of the anticircumcision movement are Jewish as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    That makes sense. Are there exceptions? If so, what are they? Based on your last sentence, it sounds like there are.
    It's a valid medical procedure that is prescribed for certain conditions. It can be necessary sometimes. Occasionally, the foreskin becomes overly tight and if it interferes with urination or causes pain, circumcision is one of the treatments.

One of the reasons it became so routine is that people thought it would stop little boys from masturbating. (It doesn't.)