User Tag List

First 33414243444553 Last

Results 421 to 430 of 602

  1. #421

    Default

    Im not talking about SF. I updated the old topic with a newslink a few posts up. Did you see it?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  2. #422
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Im not talking about SF. I updated the old topic with a newslink a few posts up. Did you see it?
    Germany? I can't speak to the culture/climate there.. so no response.

  3. #423
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Germany? I can't speak to the culture/climate there.. so no response.
    There are about two reasons for men living in Germany to be circumcised: their religion dictates it or it is medically necessary. So the majority are not circumcised.

  4. #424
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    There are about two reasons for men living in Germany to be circumcised: their religion dictates it or it is medically necessary. So the majority are not circumcised.
    STD prevention seems like it rationally relates to a legitimate government interest. See: http://health.usnews.com/health-news...s-against-stds

    What don't they have STDs in Germany too? As far as waiting for the individual to choose to do it later in life. I suspect that the procedure is much less dramatic and painful as an infant than as an teen/adult.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  5. #425
    Senior Member Lightyear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Oh god. The Germans are trying to get rid of the Jews again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizconde View Post
    Thats what the Nazis thought.
    Not funny. Living as a German in England I have had to listen to just about any lame Nazi/Second World War/Anti-Germany joke you can think of, if you have to make them let them at least be funny or original. Cheers.

    (One example: While performing in front of an audience in Berlin Sarah Silverman farted into her microphone and then turned around saying: "I bet that's the first time you have been gassed by a Jew." That's original.)

  6. #426
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    There are about two reasons for men living in Germany to be circumcised: their religion dictates it or it is medically necessary. So the majority are not circumcised.
    It would seem that this law targets a minority. The idea of personal rights, and the role of government is different in Europe than here, different expectations. I still can't venture an opinion.

  7. #427
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Not funny. Living as a German in England I have had to listen to just about any lame Nazi/Second World War/Anti-Germany joke you can think of, if you have to make them let them at least be funny or original. Cheers.

    (One example: While performing in front of an audience in Berlin Sarah Silverman farted into her microphone and then turned around saying: "I bet that's the first time you have been gassed by a Jew." That's original.)
    I didn't read the above member quotes as strictly jokes. Despite how uncomfortable it makes some Germans feel, we must remember the past to avoid repeating it. I think the following remarks are reminders to be ever vigilant about legislation which might (at least partially) be motivated by anti-Semitism.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  8. #428
    Senior Member Lightyear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizconde View Post
    I didn't read the above member quotes as strictly jokes. Despite how uncomfortable it makes some Germans feel, we must remember the past to avoid repeating it. I think the following remarks are reminders to be ever vigilant about legislation which might (at least partially) be motivated by anti-Semitism.
    Sorry, but that's bollocks. Germans have genuinely other problems than trying to discriminate against Jews, that happened 70 years ago and a lot of history has happened in between (the division of Germany, the building of the Berlin Wall, the Cold War and Socialism in East Germany, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany etc). It's not as if we are somehow predisposed to be antisemitic, if Buddhists would circumcise their children the judge would probably have come to the same conclusion, it's not about Jews, it's about the idea of unnecessarily removing a perfectly healthy body part of your child. I personally don't care if people circumcise their child or not (as a Christian I actually see it as something good, since the Old Testament talks about circumcision as being commanded by God to set His people apart) but I can understand what mindset was behind the (probably non-religious) judge's decision. Also Germany is still so overshadowed by its past that they wouldn't dare to pass even remotely antisemitic legislation there, because people would immediately come shouting, "Nazi! Nazi!" (as this thread proves)

    Also if I would get a penny for every time I have heard the "We must remember the past to avoid repeating it" quote (especially while having history lessons in German high school) I would be a rich woman, don't use that phrase on a German of my generation because we have heard it so many times that all you will get is an eye roll.

  9. #429
    Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizconde View Post
    I didn't read the above member quotes as strictly jokes. Despite how uncomfortable it makes some Germans feel, we must remember the past to avoid repeating it. I think the following remarks are reminders to be ever vigilant about legislation which might (at least partially) be motivated by anti-Semitism.
    Yeah i was mostly just making a lame joke. I support the circumcision ban.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

    ~

  10. #430
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I hated this a year ago and I still hate it now.

Similar Threads

  1. AP source: Fed's gun used in San Francisco pier slaying
    By Lowkey in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2015, 10:37 PM
  2. Seattle or San Francisco
    By swordpath in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO