User Tag List

First 18262728293038 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

I want to ask a serious question of anyone who's in favor of seeing a bill like this pass. I mean, right now, it doesn't matter if we're for or against circumcision because the only say we're going to get is with our own children, but for the people who want a bill like this, who want their beliefs to be the law for everyone... WHY? Do you really care about the penis of every male on earth? If this bill was passed, how would it enrich your life? I know the reasons people have stated for not circumcising their own children, but what is so important about this issue that it is imperative to force upon everyone? Not trying to be antagonistic, I just want a clearer understanding here.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Piercing babies' ears is pretty controversial... or it was on all the parenting message boards I used to frequent when my kids were small.
    Come on y'all!

I had my ears pierced when I was three. My aunt took me to the mall with my sister. I counted to three and the rest is history. I was like all day after that!! I'm still so very happy.

The more I read this thread, the more I see an exaggeration of the truth and bogus examples. I'm *not* seeing what the big deal is; certainly not enough for a circumcision ban. If the hippies want to make a positive difference in the world, they can start by getting out of the intersection and recycling their picket signs.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But it's not the same, if anything, it's an argument against your side.

Like, child rape is "real" deviance. Crushing people's feet is "real" child abuse.
    The point was that deviance had nothing to do with it. It was the damage done that made it reprehensible.

How that connected to this argument is that I compared different scenarios and traced the responses for inconsistency, like I did with the deviance discussion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

What other parents choose to do, is up to them. But I would never have a child circumsized since it's an unnecessary surgical procedure.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    I want to ask a serious question of anyone who's in favor of seeing a bill like this pass. I mean, right now, it doesn't matter if we're for or against circumcision because the only say we're going to get is with our own children, but for the people who want a bill like this, who want their beliefs to be the law for everyone... WHY? Do you really care about the penis of every male on earth? If this bill was passed, how would it enrich your life? I know the reasons people have stated for not circumcising their own children, but what is so important about this issue that it is imperative to force upon everyone? Not trying to be antagonistic, I just want a clearer understanding here.
    It's gotten to the point where circumcision is considered by insurance companies to be an unnecessary procedure and will no longer cover it. On this very basis, parents are refusing to pay to have it done. A friend of mine said his sister refused to have it done to her new baby, and that was the reason given. It had nothing to do with religion. It has a lot to do with the economy and personal finances.

In order to answer the question about why this particular bill at this particular time, I would have to know the reasons given by whoever is promoting it.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The point was that deviance had nothing to do with it. It was the damage done that made it reprehensible.

How that connected to this argument is that I compared different scenarios and traced the responses for inconsistency, like I did with the deviance discussion.
    But right the damage done makes it reprehensible, so what I say still stands, if male circumcision typically doesn't do much damage then it's not reprehensible.

If it did, I'd have much more of a problem with it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    Come on y'all!
    Seriously, there were loooooooooooooong debates (longer than this one) about piercing NEWBORN'S ears (not 3 year olds) on the parenting message boards I used to frequent. I'm not saying I personally find it all that objectionable. At least there's no bogus "it makes the ears easier to clean" reverse engineering. It's just to make them prettier.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    It's gotten to the point where circumcision is considered by insurance companies to be an unnecessary procedure and will no longer cover it. On this very basis, parents are refusing to pay to have it done.
    Ooh, interesting. I did not know that, but it makes sense. Well, if that's the way it happens, that's fine. It's parents making their own decisions. A quick Google search did show me however that a lot of people are still ponying up the money to get it done, though. But, I bet this will be what pushes circumcision to the side. People might feel strongly about aesthetics and cleanliness, but money is still the driving force. You know, instead of banning circumcision outright, maybe they should just yank up the prices of the procedure. *shrug*
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    INTP

I want my body parts back

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    What other parents choose to do, is up to them. But I would never have a child circumsized since it's an unnecessary surgical procedure.
    If your child was born with an abnormal orifice inbetween his eyes that heaved, smelling the parents' own fear and waking nightmares, would you have it removed? This would give the child an edge in life, somehow. It's basically a vestigial feature with perks and drawbacks, like male nipples.