babies don't exist
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I know at least one who thinks this circumcision law is due to "fucking hippies."
    Yeah, makes sense. I practically am a fucking hippy. It does makes me wonder, from time to time in this place, how is it possible that I am more individualistic than most americans? It is the most individualistic country in the world, afterall...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Babies don't have a choice, period. They don't choose their name, their health care, their education, what they eat, what they wear, etc etc etc. They are 100% dependent on their legal guardians. I'm telling ya, today it's circumcision, tomorrow it's something else.
    And most of those things are permanent, whether people like to think of it that way or not. Whatever was the content of your nutrition as a child determines often your size, health, and even brain functioning as you grow...education...discipline...all of these things shape us, for good.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    Psychological harm from spanking is argued all the time. That's pretty permanent. There are clear benefits to breast over formula feeding. I think they're pretty permanent, too. But this isn't just about what you can see. My point was that these are all decisions made by parents. Take away one right from parents, you might as well start handing them all over.
    This is the bottom line, and why although I would not counsel any young parents who asked my advice to circumcise, I would not want this bill to pass. It's already on the way out, IMO, except in religious circles. Most men my age are circumcised, but among the boys my son's age I've known well enough to know their status, it's about half and half which reflects the national data. Worldwide, it's only about 20% of men that are circumcised.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah, makes sense. I practically am a fucking hippy. It does makes me wonder, from time to time in this place, how is it possible that I am more individualistic than most americans? It is the most individualistic country in the world, afterall...
    Do you not see the irony in that statement? You're wanting to limit the choice of parents to circumsize their infants, but claiming to be more individualistic than most Americans.

Fi doms make me lol sometimes (and I have Fi aux.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Honestly, there are much bigger issues. I don't spend any time at all thinking about circumcision in between when these threads come up, but I think a lot about child abuse, neglect, and the terrible state of education. But it's not either-or; it's not like I'm only allowed to hold an opinion on really big issues.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Do you not see the irony in that statement? You're wanting to limit the choice of parents to circumsize their infants, but claiming to be more individualistic than most Americans.

Fi doms make me lol sometimes (and I have Fi aux.)
    It is the baby's choice when they grow up. That's what I mean. Individualism as I see it is to take away the right of people over other people. If individualism was to mean the right of superior to make choices for the inferior, we would still have slavery. (In a way we still do have it)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It is the baby's choice when they grow up. That's what I mean. Individualism as I see it is to take away the right of people over other people.
    Yes and parents have rights over their children.

Thank god.

Call me old-fashioned.

But yeah...I don't have a strong opinion on circumcision, like seriously if I ever have a son I'll let the father decide, but I do tend to have a strong opinion about people having the right to choose how to raise their children, within reason.

I'm not a fan of people who say people shouldn't spank their kids, either. There's a difference between a swat on the behind of a four year old, who does not yet have the ability to sit down and talk it out and rather behaves like an animal testing to see what it can get away with, and hitting a kid in the face or burning them with a cigarette.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Regarding the climate of SF....I lived in San Francisco for a year and a half....and I had to get the hell out. The liberals are downright rigid - militantly so. And they're not "open minded" as they're reputed to be - if you don't like THEIR specific type of unknown music, you're relegated as just the "uncultured masses".

It's no different than living in a town full of conservative, religious zealots. I live around San Diego now...people are so much more laid back down here. And they don't think you're "brainwashed" just because you don't reek of BO.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yes and parents have rights over their children.
    I think parents should have the respect of their children. I don't think spanking them would be the best way to do this.