User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This is a point I thought about making earlier, but decided not to because it's more emotional than logical.
    I don't know. I think many hardcore scientists would agree that evolution doesn't do things without "reasons". Of course, evolution works by making all the mistakes and then coming up with the best of the possibilities, so, it isn't exactly the kind of reason we would regard as reason, but anyhows... there is a good chance evolution is right about our anatomy.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    But cutting them makes them better than what nature can produce?
    I don't think that's the reason people circumcise. I don't think circumcision is an "eff you" against nature. Parents do it for a multitude of reasons, and I don't think it's the government's place to get involved, just like I'm sure people wouldn't be happy about making it illegal to spank or mandatory to breastfeed. As we can see from this thread, we all have different feelings about this subject, therefore, it only makes sense to me that there should be no law of the land about it, it should be left up to the parents.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think mostly it's habit, and a lot of it is dudes who are protective of the idea that their circumcised penis is "JUST FINE" (which it is- but is that a good enough reason to take a scalpel to your kid's?). Witness this thread, where I've argued pretty dispassionately and yet I've been accused of "looking down my nose" at the opposition. I haven't stepped out of bounds at all- if what I've said is considered "looking down my nose," then holding any opposing opinion about anything is. I've said over and over that I don't think badly of my own parents or my husband's parents for circumcising their sons. I'm debating a topic, and the responses have been pretty histrionic.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    I don't think that's the reason people circumcise. I don't think circumcision is an "eff you" against nature. Parents do it for a multitude of reasons, and I don't think it's the government's place to get involved, just like I'm sure people wouldn't be happy about making it illegal to spank or mandatory to breastfeed. As we can see from this thread, we all have different feelings about this subject, therefore, it only makes sense to me that there should be no law of the land about it, it should be left up to the parents.
    Spanking and breastfeeding are not permanent. I really can't think of any other permanent body-modification that was performed legally on babies in western countries. This is a weird exception to the overall principle of letting people decide themselves what they want to do with their bodies.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Ear piercing is done pretty widely in some communities.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It's not permanent.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's not permanent.
    Okay, yeah.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Or is it with some people? I think it usually grows back like a wound would.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Spanking and breastfeeding are not permanent. I really can't think of any other permanent body-modification that was performed legally on babies in western countries. This is a weird exception to the overall principle of letting people decide themselves what they want to do with their bodies.
    Psychological harm from spanking is argued all the time. That's pretty permanent. There are clear benefits to breast over formula feeding. I think they're pretty permanent, too. But this isn't just about what you can see. My point was that these are all decisions made by parents. Take away one right from parents, you might as well start handing them all over.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's not permanent.
    It's not?

Yes it is. I have piercing holes in my ears from when I was a child, of course the second set were voluntary in my teens.