User Tag List

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Harold Camping - Doomsday prophet - suffers stroke

http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...h-doomsday.htm

Harold Camping, president of Family Radio, a Christian radio ministry, suffered a severe stroke on Thursday night and had to be hospitalized
    His speech has apparently been slurred as a result of this.

Can anyone say "Karma"?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Ginkgo

I hope when he says doomsday, it now comes out as "MONDAY MANIA!!!" That whole caravan of holy rollers was psyched, entirely earnest about their prediction. Even if he now pronounces "Thank you for clapping" as "Frank you for crapping" during his little congregational meetings, they would still take him seriously.

I dont know if its karma, he's not done anything malicious if he genuinely believed that the world was going to end.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know if its karma, he's not done anything malicious if he genuinely believed that the world was going to end.
    Well, he has made no attempt to provide recompense to people who paid his group big money to spread the word or wasted their time. Neither did he apologize (to my knowledge) to anyone who quit their job, ended a relationship, put down a pet, or neglected to save money for future goals (like a kid's college fund) or did whatever else in anticipation.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Well, he has made no attempt to provide recompense to people who paid his group big money to spread the word or wasted their time. Neither did he apologize (to my knowledge) to anyone who quit their job, ended a relationship, put down a pet, or neglected to save money for future goals (like a kid's college fund) or did whatever else in anticipation.
    I still dont believe you can prove malice of forethought, those individuals have personal responsibility for their own money and time and how they invest it too.

Its easy to be critical but this isnt Jim Jones, shooting the messenger doesnt do much about the fact that people are still too credulous that they will listen to one after anohter after another.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Stupid people do stupid things and Camping's followers were all pretty much stupid.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Stupid people do stupid things and Camping's followers were all pretty much stupid.
    Or would you believe, hopeful?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...h-doomsday.htm

His speech has apparently been slurred as a result of this.

Can anyone say "Karma"?
    Fuck you, implying a stroke is a good thing.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

My question is, if he defrauded people, is that all on him or is it the follower's own fault for being fooled? After all, the victims of the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme aren't being blamed or written off as deserving of what they got for being gullible or stupid.

Anyway, goodness gracious, the man is nearly 90, of course he had a stroke. It happens. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even make it to October. Nothing supernatural about it.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.