User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Attitudes to money?

What is your attitude to money? Either as an institution or simply as means? Is money for spending or saving and what do you think has influenced your attitude towards it, family, friends, culture or incidents which have lent perspective to your life?

I remember reading once that an obsticle to setting up and establishing successful businesses can be that the individuals involved are unused to increased income and spending, so they run a franchise or enterprise like they would a household or individual spending habits and fail.

Considering the accounts of the health trust I work in I know that the figures are collossal and I would think seriously about the spending patterns if I were in a position to do so and command that, I never will be and I know that there are other bureaucratic and career scheming which influences that anyway. It did make me think about it and lent me some perspective when my accountant buddy told me the numbers he crunches.

Another example could be the till roll that someone posted in the random thought thread a while back, it was hundreds of thousands of pounds spent in a single night in, I presume a fairly exclusive venue, it seemed obscene to me and I would not consider myself a particularly frugal or serious spender.

However, my brothers and particularly my younger brother who works two seperate jobs, have both commented on my saving and said that I do save a lot more money than them, it certainly is not a case of money in and out each month, I like to save more than I will spend and take satisfaction from that.

On the other hand I'm conscious that in a crisis money can be devalued, to that end I've bought books enough to do me if I lost my job and dont have many other expenses besides.

I dont renew my wardrobe each month and dont buy big ticket items like cars annually, I dont own or watch a TV, I dont really go in for expensive speak systems or other conspicious consumption trappings. I also dont drink or smoke and I'll be honest that's as much to do with expense than health concerns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What is your attitude to money? Either as an institution or simply as means? Is money for spending or saving and what do you think has influenced your attitude towards it, family, friends, culture or incidents which have lent perspective to your life?

I remember reading once that an obsticle to setting up and establishing successful businesses can be that the individuals involved are unused to increased income and spending, so they run a franchise or enterprise like they would a household or individual spending habits and fail.

Considering the accounts of the health trust I work in I know that the figures are collossal and I would think seriously about the spending patterns if I were in a position to do so and command that, I never will be and I know that there are other bureaucratic and career scheming which influences that anyway. It did make me think about it and lent me some perspective when my accountant buddy told me the numbers he crunches.

Another example could be the till roll that someone posted in the random thought thread a while back, it was hundreds of thousands of pounds spent in a single night in, I presume a fairly exclusive venue, it seemed obscene to me and I would not consider myself a particularly frugal or serious spender.

However, my brothers and particularly my younger brother who works two seperate jobs, have both commented on my saving and said that I do save a lot more money than them, it certainly is not a case of money in and out each month, I like to save more than I will spend and take satisfaction from that.

On the other hand I'm conscious that in a crisis money can be devalued, to that end I've bought books enough to do me if I lost my job and dont have many other expenses besides.

I dont renew my wardrobe each month and dont buy big ticket items like cars annually, I dont own or watch a TV, I dont really go in for expensive speak systems or other conspicious consumption trappings. I also dont drink or smoke and I'll be honest that's as much to do with expense than health concerns.
    I'm a natural born spender, but love to have a lot of extra money on hand, and I'm able to save. So the main goal is to eliminate debt and monthly financial commitments, and then splurge on expensive stuff occasionally... (The expensive scotch or cigar or purse.) I generally enjoy finer things so have to skimp on certain other things to have that and still save a lot. I may go back to school (trying for grants and scholarships) to make more in the end, to. (In short, I like money.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm a natural born spender, but love to have a lot of extra money on hand, and I'm able to save. So the main goal is to eliminate debt and monthly financial commitments, and then splurge on expensive stuff occasionally... (The expensive scotch or cigar or purse.) I generally enjoy finer things so have to skimp on certain other things to have that and still save a lot. I may go back to school (trying for grants and scholarships) to make more in the end, to. (In short, I like money.)
    I'd be like that too.

I think one of the most inventive usernames I've seen online has been "Money Tick", you know like a tick which is buried in money or interested in money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'd be like that too.

I think one of the most inventive usernames I've seen online has been "Money Tick", you know like a tick which is buried in money or interested in money.
    Haha, that is a good username. I still don't understand the view about money being at the root of all evil. People's views about money are evil. Money is just an object. People are the ones with the control.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Haha, that is a good username. I still don't understand the view about money being at the root of all evil. People's views about money are evil. Money is just an object. People are the ones with the control.
    I think that this view is one which predates a moneyed society really, it used to be restricted in its circualtion to a more elite group of people who used it to bankroll power struggles and war.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm a pretty natural saver.

I remember when I was a little kid, my Dad took me to the store and told me I could get something if I wanted.

I just told him I'd rather keep the money to save, and this huge grin spread across his face.

When I do find something I really want, I have no trouble dropping the cash to get it.

Whether that's $60 OR $25K.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

money is a ticket to fun for me, basically. i have no qualms about saying that i like money and would prefer to have a lot of it. i've grown up with one set of cousins whose parents make bank and another whose parents don't make very much at all, and i can see very clearly the quality of life differences between them. i know which side of that equation i would like to be on.

i'm pretty moderate about money by nature. i don't tend to spend a lot. this is one situation in which indecisiveness can actually really come in handy - when i can't decide between two things, i often just leave them both. like disco, i'm not hesitant to spend when i know i really, really want something, though.

what i do spend, is usually on trips, nice home decor, clothing, and going out to eat. travelling and adventure/leisure eats the most of my money, definitely. i'm also planning on buying a really nice sports car a few more years down the road, because driving is something i do every day and i really enjoy.

i don't have any debt right now but i'll probably need to take out a loan for graduate school. i've basically set a bar for my career income-wise, that i don't want to go any lower than, because i know myself well enough to know that i do need a certain level of income to not have to worry all the time. i know that if it's lower than that, i'll just spend all my time freaking out.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Money tends to have an evil connotation, but I don't see it this way at all.

Money is if anything, a form of energy. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make alot of money, or very little. One has to decide for themself how much of it they will need for their function and purpose in life. While money and materialism can have an illusionary quality, drawing some father away from the nature of life and true understanding, this is not the case for everyone. Many people make lots of money and put that money to good purpose. Who is worse? The millionare that sends massive donations to starving children, or the guy netting 13k a year who squanders it on pubs and pizza? All relative ofcourse.

I can see only one really important rule with money, and that is that is keeps flowing. "Just as we experience insufficient chi in the body as sickness, we experience an insufficient flow of money as dis-ease. In our modern culture, a lack of financial energy flow often becomes a form of stress that can divert us from our path. But the reverse situation is equally dis-easeful. Too much chi, blocked and concentrated, leads to illness in the body. And money that is hoarded in fear that we will not have enough also leads to a condition of spiritual dis-ease."

I have never really been a "things" person. Until recently I always spent my money on living. A while back I decided to try the "things" living, and after 3 years of it I can definatley say it's not my cup o tea. =)
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

I have expensive taste. It's that simple.
    Zero debt allows me to have the freedom to do what I please.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have expensive taste

Zero debt allows me the freedom to do what I please.
    Me too!