User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I understand the technicals of how to be good with money, how to save money, how to have money make more money for you. I'm just not very good at doing those things. Money is boring to me, it's a necessary unpleasantry of life. I'm not addicted to luxuries, and my tastes are pretty cheap but sometimes certain things are more important to me than just what they will cost. Sometimes indulging a whim its worth it. If I can pay 100 and live on ramen for a week to be able to go to a show, I'll do it.

I'm not terribly good with the material long term. I won't ever make it big as a financial wiz.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    ISometimes indulging a whim its worth it. If I can pay 100 and live on ramen for a week to be able to go to a show, I'll do it.
    I have friends and acquaintances who does this also. They probably earn nearly as much as I do, but finances are a major source of stress in their lives. Several had problems big enough to put their relationships at risk. I think it's totally avoidable. Happiness does not necessarily come from expensive status symbols or mass marketed experiences. Other alternatives come with much lower personal costs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm both a saver and spender. People have told Me I'm a miser, but really, I tend to make long term investments on very expensive stuff, usually revolving around technology.

Don't especially care to have an expensive house, name brand clothing, or overpriced furniture, and not because I'm not a girl, either. (Personally, I'd rather live in a shack as long as I have My computer.) And even when I'm trying to look impressive, I've been known to procrastinate for years before doing something about it (if I even do).

And in all honesty, I don't like trying to be impressive, but unfortunately, it's a survival thing and I'm still trying hard to find ways to be good at it.

Having lots of money is one of the ways to do it.

EDIT: Oh wow, I began My response as "How I manage My money" and transformed it back into what the topic was about! I'm so smooth!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I have friends and acquaintances who does this also. They probably earn nearly as much as I do, but finances are a major source of stress in their lives. Several had problems big enough to put their relationships at risk. I think it's totally avoidable. Happiness does not necessarily come from expensive status symbols or mass marketed experiences. Other alternatives come with much lower personal costs.
    Well, it's not really about status symbols, it's about what I want. Things that I'm really happy about can be ridiculously inexpensive. I love tinkering with vintage electronics. That is super cheap and pays for itself occasionally. I'd say most of my non essential spending goes into hobbies and tools and music concerts. I don't think many people would be impressed with my super sharp antique wooden joining plane, and I'm pretty sure I've never heard it name dropped on MTV.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Well, it's not really about status symbols, it's about what I want. Things that I'm really happy about can be ridiculously inexpensive. I love tinkering with vintage electronics. That is super cheap and pays for itself occasionally. I'd say most of my non essential spending goes into hobbies and tools and music concerts. I don't think many people would be impressed with my super sharp antique wooden joining plane, and I'm pretty sure I've never heard it name dropped on MTV.
    I didn't mean to imply that you are into status symbols. I see people (not necessarily you) proudly proclaim that they are not materialistic but they spend all their hard earned money on concerts, sporting events, expensive restaurants etc. To me, that behavior is no different than buying status symbols. In both cases you are trading something of high value (the hours in your finite life) for something that another person or corporation has promoted into something that is perceived as having great value. It's not necessarily bad. But I think a bit of introspection might help people acquire the feelings they seek more efficiently.

PS: I share your interest in tinkering with electronics and fully understand your perspective on that.