First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Lol you think like me entropie, although in my case I allocate yearly/semi-yearly bills using a spreadsheet system where I have a lump sum automatically xferred to savings each month and the spreadsheet more or less tells the whole story of which dollar goes where (and I audit it every few months to be sure). Each bill's listed by value, monthly contribution and when it's scheduled for payout. The contents of my main checking acct are also tracked using the main budget spreadsheet, so if I ever want to know how much money I have to spend I have to consult the spreadsheet; I never trust my acct balance since it's highly inflated (at the end of the month my acct balance should equal all my income minus all my expenditures, plus all my running surplus, plus $6000; but in the middle of the month it may be lower since my expenses are often front-loaded to the beginning of the month yet I haven't taken in all the month's income yet) and the only "free cash" I truly acknowledge is the "running surplus" at the bottom of the budget sheet (which equals last month's running surplus plus this month's income-minus-expenditures). I freak out when that surplus is under $2K (as it has been for a few months now, owing to the fact that I bought my wife a used car a few months ago...) even though I technically have plenty of money sitting around (but not really, since it's already earmarked).
    Can't you just make all these computations in your head?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I knew this thread would drift into "how I take care of my billions."
    I wish!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ESFJ

I like money as it gives me options. I have the odd moment of splurging (usually on clothes and shoes but not designer names) but mostly i am sensible and save. Never know when it'll come in handy.

I'm able to make a little go a long way but i think thats because in my teens i got so heavily in debt with my SO at the time that i don't want to get back in that situation, EVER. I am currently debt free and i plan on staying like that until the day i decide to get a mortgage and have that lovely noose around my neck. *shudders*
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I don't do debt. I save and invest. I've got pretty expensive taste in food (I eat mainly organic and love me my yerba mate), but other than that, I like to invest in my future.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

We're comfortable. We don't live extravagantly but we have no issue dropping money on bigger ticket items occasionally ($5000 triathlon bike for ENFJ man at Christmas but I got it for around $2800). We have always saved and always invested and right now we are looking at buying some commercial property. I wouldn't even rule out buying another house to rent out. The prices are too good to not consider it.

That said, as far as daily expenses, I use software record keeping. We use a credit card for most expenses, paying off the balance every month, we have no debt outside of my car lease, substantial savings and retirement accounts. We bought a standard sized home (3br, 2ba) and put on an addition and made improvements, there is no reason we would leave here, unless it was related to work. I don't feel wanting a certain lifestyle or money is bad. Do I really love my 65 in tv? I sure do and don't mind paying extra for HD because I'm not watching sports without it and sports are always on in my house. I don't feel that was a huge extravagance either, we got a really good deal - ENFJ man has some sort of sale radar. It's like a crazy gift, he can find the best deal on anything.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Money buys freedom to do what I want which isn't an extravagant lifestyle. It's worth it to cushion for a comfortable retirement and also to leave some for beneficiaries.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The rich do not usually have a lot of money; they have wealth, i.e. non-money assets. It makes no sense to have any more money than is needed to make everyday transactions, because money doesn't earn interest (or very much interest). If the rich need large amounts of money for some reason, they can normally just sell assets to obtain the needed money, and then quickly rid themselves of it by completing the transaction. Money is the medium of exchange. The confusion comes in because the medium of exchange is often used as the unit of account, i.e. the standard unit of measurement in accounting. We measure the value of assets in terms of their exchange value for money, but we could measure it using something else. Then it would be clearer that the rich don't really have a lot of money, but lots of valuable assets.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

[YOUTUBE="4m37JkkGjAY"]Christ Rock: Rich vs Wealthy[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP

Fiat money is buying oneself to serfdom in current conditions.

MBTI
    ESFJ

While I am not a fan of fiat money, that's just not true.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.