User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I am not rich but I am comfortable. When I was a kid my friends and I would occasionally fantasize together about being ridiculously rich, like having houses that were a city block wide with elevators inside and a helicopter landing pad and such. As I became an adult I realized that living an extremely luxurious lifestyle would actually make me feel really uncomfortable and that money is just a means to comfortably survive. At present I save 30% of my income. This works for me. If my income were to double, I'd likely save double that amount.

Sometimes I think about what it must be like to be Bill Gates. Like if I were him I'd totally just drop some billions to some really poor people because, well, they need it. There would be no applying for it, or having to earn it in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Sometimes I think about what it must be like to be Bill Gates. Like if I were him I'd totally just drop some billions to some really poor people because, well, they need it. There would be no applying for it, or having to earn it in any way.
    i wouldn't drop my money like that. i'd put it towards
    say a school that teaches starving pot bellied african
    children to eat the flies that buzz around their face.
    in that way they'll never be hungry. i just think if i
    give them money and they'll spend it all.

or is your plan to donate your money then open
    up an enticing shop next to the donation hq so
    you quietly get all your money back? sneaky!
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=791J81mcyKY&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    GONE

The institution of money particularly unbridled capitalism can become an evil, evil thing.

But you need money to live. And wanting to live comfortably isn't a sin.

I think the key is to looking at money more as a means to an end than an end to itself. The hoarding/race mentality towards money is what gets societies in trouble.

Speaking for myself - how's that song go? "Money - it's what I want!"
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Ginkgo

It's not money that's evil. It's the love of money that is! Evil love!

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Money is only a means to an end, not something to be worshipped. I've seen how circumstances of shortage of money due to irresponsible spending habits lead to conflicts. My failures of a parent is a good example of that.

That being said I'm pretty much a spender -- because I don't save unless it's something I want. As a kid I didn't receive allowance on a regular basis and whatever I could salvage with regards to money usually got robbed from me ("money shortages") so whatever money I received from relatives I just spent it. During these times of spending usually I finish whatever is in my wallet but the stuff I buy usually have been carefully thought out. I always find whatever I can get the most out of the amount I have.

So for me to save, there practically has to be no "free" money in my wallet at all (transport, spare change in case your phone breaks or something -- food doesn't count). Food doesn't count because I'm quite the glutton and I splurge on food. Cards can be tempting too but I often have to make a conscious effort to tell myself "do I need this or not? What good do I get from buying this?" if I don't have cash in my wallet. That being said I prefer cash because it's untraceable.

I hate borrowing money from people. If I borrow I make sure I pay the person back on the next day.

I am very attracted to the luxurious lifestyle but I don't think journalism would ever be able for me to support that kind of lifestyle. It'd be nice to have that kind of life but I think having a well-to-do lifestyle with a decent apartment, a car and no debt.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I put all the money I receive monthly on different bank accounts, from which I cant easily take the money back. One account is savings for a house, one is savings for things like clothes, one is for the car. I usually run around with 20 Euro in my wallet and am the first one to be broke in the month cause I made my money completly unavailiable. It's good when it is like that, makes the saving easier.

I not a big spender aswell. The two major investements I made in the last 5 years were a smartphone and a new computer. That's about $3,000. Other than that I try to put every availiable cent into my electronic projects. I try to earn money with that so later so it shall have a return. I am still dreaming of my own business one day. Problem is the project aint proceeding as quick as I want since me being still a student and working only parttime is not earning enough to have enough spare + factor time is an issue as well.

When I am finished with University next year, I'll have a sum availiable in that job. Have no clue what to do with the money, I never had that much. I'll prolly save everything for a house. A new car I wont buy my old Mercedes I'll care for until it rots .

I dunno I have always been good at making money, especially thru investments, when I bought things cheap and sold them for more afterwards or when I produced things. It's really the most fun to me to earn money. Spending money I dont like so much. As I said there isnt too much I want to spend it on and secondly when you spend it, it's gone and I hate that
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Lol you think like me entropie, although in my case I allocate yearly/semi-yearly bills using a spreadsheet system where I have a lump sum automatically xferred to savings each month and the spreadsheet more or less tells the whole story of which dollar goes where (and I audit it every few months to be sure). Each bill's listed by value, monthly contribution and when it's scheduled for payout. The contents of my main checking acct are also tracked using the main budget spreadsheet, so if I ever want to know how much money I have to spend I have to consult the spreadsheet; I never trust my acct balance since it's highly inflated (at the end of the month my acct balance should equal all my income minus all my expenditures, plus all my running surplus, plus $6000; but in the middle of the month it may be lower since my expenses are often front-loaded to the beginning of the month yet I haven't taken in all the month's income yet) and the only "free cash" I truly acknowledge is the "running surplus" at the bottom of the budget sheet (which equals last month's running surplus plus this month's income-minus-expenditures). I freak out when that surplus is under $2K (as it has been for a few months now, owing to the fact that I bought my wife a used car a few months ago...) even though I technically have plenty of money sitting around (but not really, since it's already earmarked).
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    GONE

Gosh Spirilis...you so fiscally sound.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I knew this thread would drift into "how I take care of my billions."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”