User Tag List

View Poll Results: Public Poll: If you saw this vision, would you have called the police?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Even if it is wrong, what if it had been right?! Better safe than sorry!

2 11.76%
  • I'd hesitate, but call. I'd regret it if I was wrong.

1 5.88%
  • I'm not at all sure what I'd do.

3 17.65%
  • No way. They're dead anyways, and I don't want to be linked to that. Too much.

3 17.65%
  • Psychics are just IRL trolls.

8 47.06%
12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Psychic woman creates hoax murders.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110608...scrimechildren (Source)

Basic summary for you lazy clickers:

Texas police were investigating whether a tip-off from a psychic about a mass grave containing dozens of dismembered bodies was in fact a hoax after an intense search found no bodies.
    Lady claims to be psychic and totally says there's a serial killer 70 miles from where I live, police go check it out, and the thing turns out to be a big joke, disrupting a sleepy town over movie-esque visions.

Whether you believe in psychics ACTUALLY existing or not, what do you think their role should be when it comes to things like this? Do they have a moral obligation to try and say something, right or wrong?

ENFP Hypothetical question: If you saw a vision like this, and felt in your gut it was real, would you call the police? If so.. Would you regret calling them when they discovered nothing? Would you still feel the vision was real after?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I honestly don't know how much psychics should be legitimately involved in an investigation, since anything they say is not admissible anyway (as far as I know).

I do know police departments have hired psychics over the years to help with cold cases in order to find bodies or jumpstart dead leads; on occasion they have been of use. Considering how some cases have been dead for years and years, it's pretty obvious they are just trying anything they can think of that could be helpful.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

figsfiggyfigs

LoL.

This is absurd. I would not call the police.
    Last edited by figsfiggyfigs; 06-08-2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: You get 5 stars for an awesome post, Mon.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Whether you believe in psychics ACTUALLY existing or not, what do you think their role should be when it comes to things like this? Do they have a moral obligation to try and say something, right or wrong?
    Not sure. I suppose if I was the psychic, I would personally feel obligated to try and say something.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ENFP Hypothetical question: If you saw a vision like this, and felt in your gut it was real, would you call the police? If so.. Would you regret calling them when they discovered nothing? Would you still feel the vision was real after?
    Not an ENFP but if I had a strong gut feeling that it was real, I would call the police. If they discovered nothing, I'd probably regret and doubt I'd still feel the vision was real afterwards.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

BEST. POST. EVER.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Not an ENFP but if I had a strong gut feeling that it was real, I would call the police. If they discovered nothing, I'd probably regret and doubt I'd still feel the vision was real afterwards.
    Poor choice of words on my part.. I meant to say I, as an ENFP, will now post NF-type questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    BEST. POST. EVER.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Ginkgo

Psychics are always charlatans unless they're schizophrenics. Then they're schizophrenic charlatans.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Really strong gut feelings come from somewhere and should be sussed. Sometimes the subconscious can put together something important, but also sometimes it can do it in such a way as to mask the real subject. For example: you strongly feel there are several dead bodies buried in your backyard could be a manifestation of guilt for indirectly caused deaths. I think you have a responsibility to figure out where the intuition comes from and also substantiate your feeling before you blow whistles.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I would
    1) check to make sure I wasn't malnutritioned
    2) look look causes, symptoms and treatment of schizophrenia
    3) make sure I haven't been an INFJ this whole time who had a crazy Ni moment
    4) review any information I knew that could possibly relate to the vision
    5) see a doctor immediately who specialized in this type of thing
    PS: I think this kind of thing would freak a Sensor out more than an Intuitive
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Psychics are charlatans, but they are usually pretty damn intelligent people who meet and talk to a lot of people, thus they sit on a lot of information if they can remember it all.
    SO, they might not be a help in *any* investigation, but they might be a help if they have, say, spoken to a killer or such and noticed something odd about them.
    Cold reading is extremely useful.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come