123 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Those mother*uckers!

Now Victor previously posted a thread on human rights abuses by the Victorian Police department.

But recently, a new fate has befallen residents of Victoria. They've made swearing in public a crime, subject to an on the spot $240 fine. (the fine is issued on the spot, you don't have to pay it on the spot)

Now the legal advice site "FindLaw Australia" states the following:

The proposed Victorian law allows a police officer to use their discretion in issuing fines. Allowing officers to use their own judgement, may potentially give rise to a situation where one police officer might view the language being used as not offensive, but a different police officer, under the same circumstances might decide that the behaviour does breach the Act, and issue a person with the fine. Furthermore, the proposed law would make swearing in public a strict liability offence, which means that a person is judged to be guilty if they commit the offending action.

What is considered offensive language?

Swearing has become so commonplace now that most people won’t even raise an eyebrow when someone does drop the ‘f-bomb’. The evolving standard of offensive language was considered in Police v Butler in the Local Court of New South Wales. The presiding magistrate observed that words that would be considered legally offensive in the past, change over time reflecting acceptable community norms. The magistrate added that swearing may offend the “standards of good taste or manners which is a breach of the rules of courtesy and runs contrary to accepted social rules,” but this does not mean that a reasonable person might be ordinarily offended in a modern context.

In summary, Australians may be more relaxed about swearing in public, but readers should probably still keep in mind that swearing in public in Victoria might soon become an expensive proposition.
    http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4...-cost-you.aspx

Do you think this is a reasonable law? Should citizens have a right to swear, or a right not to hear offensive language in public?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-P4LssMsI"]Too many mother*uckers![/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Octarine; 06-06-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Too many mother*uckers *ucking with my shi*!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

How Victorian of them.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Got to be honest the thing in Victorian parliament that is scaring me more than anything right now is this: http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/...tections/53633

Good buy equality in law, hello discrimination in law.

WTH is going on over there?!?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Nanny states are hilarious from a distance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

[youtube="G1zhe85spsw"]Demolition Man[/youtube]

I can't wait till the idea reaches eftpos terminals.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ Great reference.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I read about this recently and just shook my head in disbelief. I understand people wanting to hand out fines, for say dropping litter but for swearing *sigh*

If that were to be introduced in the UK, the government would make a mint.

Further .. Being in Canada this last week, i'e heard people using the C word and they are not even quiet about it. I know i swear but not around my children and in public i don't use the C word out of respect. Maybe its a culture thing. Meh.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Do you think this is a reasonable law?
    Fuck, no.

Should citizens have a right to swear ?
    Fuck, yes.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Oh yay, more fucking bullshit by the nanny police states that are started to infest this world. I can only hope that the common people retaliate against these totalitarian bullshit laws by means of mass protest and such, otherwise they will only be handing over one more freedom to their big brother/nanny government.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have never heard of a right not to hear "offensive" language. Seriously?

It is one thing to expect people to not be rude when they talk to you, but otherwise it's none of anybody's §%&"&% business how others talk.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFYN8loUboA"]Sopranos - clean & censored[/YOUTUBE]
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari