MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This is in Italy.
    From this point of view, Italy is much worse than America. That said, as Jenaphor pointed out, Fox News is misrepresenting what's actually happening: these people are being charged because they supposedly advised the population not to leave their homes, rather than simply saying that they had no means to predict the earthquake.

I don't know if it's true, it probably isn't: the italian judicial system is almost "obliged" to take into account proposal of these kinds. Looking at another article, we can see that

and were probed by L'Aquila prosecutors after members of the public complained that it was the committee's reassurances that persuaded them not to leave their homes ahead of the quake.
    thus, in light of my knowledge of italian society, this is how i would interpret the news:

some dumb villagers of Abruzzo that don't understand anything mildly scientific read something about earthquakes on a newspaper, but didn't really consider leaving their homes. After they were struck by the earthquake, their idiotic attitude told them they need to find a scapegoat; thus, a local stupid politician decided that the head of the earthquake monitoring institute might be the easiest target. Prosecutors are forced to put him on a trial, which will end in nothing.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    SEXY

F***ing fox news! When are people going to realise that fox news is not actually a news show but a propoganda machine that makes Joseph Goebbels' work pale in comparison!

After the initial smaller shocks these people, who are in the national council for big risk assessement, made contradictory statements, but generally claiming that there was no risk of a big earthquake. Other seismologists stated that this was untrue and that there simply was no way to know if an earthquake would occur, with at least one seismologists stating that it was likely to occur. The people who are being charged are the ones responsible for handling dangerous situations on a national level but not only did nothing with the warning signs, but also gave conflicting and unclear information about the situation.

These people are not going on trial for not practicing science, they're going on trial for neglecting their jobs resulting in the deaths of hundreds of people.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It's interesting that Fox News would publish a story like this. Most of their viewers believe scientists are all liars, anyway. So their viewers would probably be glad, no outraged, that some "scientists" were being charged with manslaughter. That's one step closer to getting God back where he belongs, in the science classroom.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So, can I sue every economist that makes predictions for the stock market if I invest in said predictions and my investments go badly? Or am I suppose to assume that I'm taking a risk when I invest either way now? I don't want to be held responsible for how I spend my money.. and I'll be super mad if I don't have anyone to blame..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

People always seem to need somebody to blame, whether they were really responsible or not.
    "I am the one who knocks."

<3 Hyacinth

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Scientists have also been implicated in the holocaust.
    Yes read, "The Doctors of the Holocaust".

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    ....for failing to predict an earthquake. Expert notes that this could have a 'chilling effect' on scientists....presumably after also noting that the typical human eye perceives the sky as blue.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...ct-earthquake/
    Its the same as social workers or others in the UK being held personally responsible for the deaths of children or vulnerable adults known to their services, there's only so much you can do, people expect as much of the state/authorities today as they used to expect of God.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    F***ing CNN! When are people going to realise that CNN is not actually a news show but a propoganda machine that makes Joseph Goebbels' work pale in comparison!

After the initial smaller shocks these people, who are in the national council for big risk assessement, made contradictory statements, but generally claiming that there was no risk of a big earthquake. Other seismologists stated that this was untrue and that there simply was no way to know if an earthquake would occur, with at least one seismologists stating that it was likely to occur. The people who are being charged are the ones responsible for handling dangerous situations on a national level but not only did nothing with the warning signs, but also gave conflicting and unclear information about the situation.

These people are not going on trial for not practicing science, they're going on trial for neglecting their jobs resulting in the deaths of hundreds of people.
    I fixed your post