User Tag List

Default Globalisation and Internalised Racism?

What are your thoughts on this? (watch video below), Do you think that due to Globalisation and a increasing pressure to becoming more 'like the west' hurts Asian countries, and how do you think this will impact future generations?. Is it more likely that there will be a reactionary movement against this 'trend'?

http://www.channelapa.com/2011/05/as...k-western.html

Discuss

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think that globalisation means that countries should or even would become more like the west and I think that Asia, well, Japan and China, have been amongst the most successful in challenging the cultural hegemony of the west and preserving their own traditions. I can think of few more culturally distinct societies than Japan or China. India may be more western but they have taken western traditions, particularly in sport like cricket, and by a strange alchemy made them their own.

I'm Irish but would you believe I know more about Bushido than the Brennan Laws (spelling) and I eat chow mein noodles or madras curry in preference to any of the potato recipes which are traditional here, I'm pretty sure that while there may be burger bars (and they will not even have "chips" as are made here in them) there arent any restaurants selling potato bread or champ.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by The_World_As_Will View Post
    What are your thoughts on this? (watch video below), Do you think that due to Globalisation and a increasing pressure to becoming more 'like the west' hurts Asian countries, and how do you think this will impact future generations?
    What do you mean 'like the west'? How 'western' is Japan? I think there is a difference between modernisation and westernisation. The developing countries in east Asia will each develop in their own unique way though obviously with influence from other countries (Thailand and S. Korea have distinct Japanese influences for example). As with any major social change, this will involve "creative" destruction of prior culture as new culture is adopted. Along with the development of new social problems that replace the old ones.

I think the trend towards choosing western dress, hair styles, or the extreme example of cosmetic surgery is in itself a reaction to the homogenisation of identity (and other social factors such as population density) in many Asian countries. But the choice of cosmetic surgery to look more western is indeed worrying and may reflect the increasing influence of western media in Asia.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Err...I didn't watch the video (I'm at my birthday bbq and I don't really wanna be watching tv) but I'll throw in here that one thing I hate about globalization is any eradication of individual cultures. Because by "the West," I'm presuming mean the U.S. and possibly the U.K....even in Europe there are individual cultures which can be affected, not just Asian and African cultures.

I think technological, social, and scientific modernization MUST take place. However, individual ways of life should be respected in terms of culture, and it would really rob the world of innovation, ideas, and creativity to create one normative culture. How fucking creepy. No thank you.

Besides, everything about Western culture isn't necessarily "superior" anyway, I prefer some aspects of Eastern culture.

I think it's disingenuous to argue here that Korean girls are wanting to emulate the 'western' (white) ideal beauty: ideal beauty is the same here and there. The eye surgery is framed in terms of "getting rid of her Asian eyes" but if it had been said she "wanted bigger eyes" it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I think the most 'western' part of this whole thing is the export of cosmetic surgery.

Not sure if it hurts Asian countries but unnecessary surgery makes no sense to me. And if you look at the little girl's before and after pics, there's not much change.

As a chinese woman who's lived in a western nation with no cosmetic surgery, I personally feel that the asians who are flocking to have their eyelids modified are retarded.

I think globalization has to happen. But there are good ways to globalize (internet, resources, you know... socializing and moving around the world,) and there are inherently "not so good ways" to globalize (like seeing a damn McDs in another city outside of America). And this is one of the "not so good ones." I really don't want my America to be all up in front in another city outside of America. Even though English is being spoken more and more throughout the world, I rather be made to learn the language of the country instead relying only on English. I'd rather be forced to speak Indian, Cantonese, Japanese, German, French... you name the language/dialect that isn't English... I'd be happy to learn to speak while at the country.

Globalization through cultural boundaries is another. I would say America is far from being culturally accepting of... well... other cultures. Taking San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York for example. You still see the "ghettos" (Chinatown, Japantowns, Little Italy's... etc.) But when you look at a city like Lima, Peru, you get a huge Mestizos population (not in the traditional sense[not just Spanish and European,] mix of every culture.) Why do you think that is? Well Peru is more accepting of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Not sure if it hurts Asian countries but unnecessary surgery makes no sense to me. And if you look at the little girl's before and after pics, there's not much change.

As a chinese woman who's lived in a western nation with no cosmetic surgery, I personally feel that the asians who are flocking to have their eyelids modified are retarded.
    Exactly. Not sure how else to put it.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Not really, the most important and ingrained parts of foreign culture have been and will be too resistant to change through globalization.

English is the language of the internet and that's the extent of it. (it's not like they are speaking English to each other)

Globalization is a two way street I love Singapore noodles as much as someone somewhere else may like BBQ.

I humbly think this is another one of those mountain out of a mole hill threads.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    But when you look at a city like Lima, Peru, you get a huge Mestizos population (not in the traditional sense[not just Spanish and European,] mix of every culture.) Why do you think that is? Well Peru is more accepting of other people.
    Is the acceptance a cause or effect?
    The Spanish speaking groups had a conscious aim to absorb the local Indian (but not African until later) population through breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Is the acceptance a cause or effect?
    The Spanish speaking groups had a conscious aim to absorb the local Indian (but not African until later) population through breeding.
    It is based loosely on laws, as well as customs and religion. After all, history has a way of telling what a country is. So in some ways, it can be more towards the cause that created the effect. Much like America's laws created the cause which brought in the effect. I won't say that there weren't any roadblock, because there were.

America has a way of being a quiet bigot when it comes to immigrants (or rather... just about everyone.) You see it when it comes to the Mexicans, you see it when you hear about the Chinese. You hear about it when you see someone saying that India is taking all the technology jobs. You hear about it when you see someone screaming "racism!" (while not blatantly saying so.) You see it when you hear something as simple as "Phrase the lord." You see it in the laws that it keeps trying to make in every little state it has. It is practically everywhere. That is how you get ghettos in the first place. That is how you get people defending themselves in the first place. It turns into "us versus them." America tells others to assimilate, but they also quietly say no to assimilation.

Contrast that to Peru. You have laws that are a bit more open to immigrants. While you are at it, it is a lot more advantageous to have "Peruvian speech" than it is to speak your native tongue. It is more advantageous to in-marry with a native Peruvian rather than keeping it "pure." It is more advantageous to be living with other people than it is to set up a ghetto. There isn't really anything holding others back to be part of Peru like there is to be a part of America. And that is something big coming from a guy that lives in a city where 1 in 10 marriages are interracial....