User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why don't you take public transport?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It takes far longer than driving and I value my time highly

10 26.32%
  • The ride is too noisy/harsh/the vibration makes me nauseous

4 10.53%
  • Poor quality/lack of availability of seating

4 10.53%
  • Some of the passengers make me really uncomfortable

5 13.16%
  • I fear for my safety when taking public transport

0 0%
  • I have a disability that prevents me from walking to and from the stops

0 0%
  • I regularly take items that cannot be taken on public transport

4 10.53%
  • Poor availiability / too many changeovers are required / too complicated

15 39.47%
  • I do public transport (I'm an outlier)

24 63.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Oberon

I would take the train if there was a train that went to my workplace. And there could be... there are tracks within a quarter-mile of both my house and my job.

Banned

It's more expensive in both money and time than taking my car; it's much less comfortable and other people smell; this includes said bus.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I live out in the country. No public transportation here.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    GONE

Untrue about public transport taking longer. In dense urban centers where traffic is concentrated (cough, cough - NYC) it can be far faster to jump on train and go more or less a straight unimpeded line and walk then drive. Also, when parking is expensive or nonexistent or time consuming to find, public transport saves you both time and money. It really depends. Sometimes it's very impractical or even impossible to drive and park a reasonable distance away from your destination.

Public transportation becomes more and more a seeming waste of time in suburban areas that were built around cars basically.

When I am in metro areas like NYC and Washington, DC I will get around with public transportation (I kinda fold 'taxis' into this as well, though the cab drivers in DC are usually cheating scumbags and I avoid them). If I'm in LA or the burbs, I'll stick with a car bc basically you need it.

Certain cities like Boston and Chicago are more sprawling and it's not as clearly 'public transportation only' or 'car only' but you can still get around relatively easy using public transportation.

Certain cities, HELL NO do I want to drive a car in.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

I mentioned it in my last post but there are some cities (in the US) where both are convenient. I'm thinking Chicago or Boston. There are also some cities where both are inconvenient and, well, that's just sad.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

When I vacationed in the SF Bay area, I didn't even bother to rent a car and instead used BART. I was pleasantly surprised how well that worked. When I get rid of my bedroom community house and move into town I'll try the busses and see if they're up to par.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

when i lived in northern europe, i loved public transportation. warm lovely quiet clean buses and trains.

i also use the metro when i travel to large cities - DC, NYC, boston, paris, etc.

sadly, where i live, it's unpleasant and inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim
    other people smell
    there is nothing worse than someone who has below-average hygiene sitting down next to you

Anew Leaf

I conveniently work about 5 miles from my home, and I often need to run errands for my business during the course of the day. I've thought about biking it, but the most efficient path to work is on a highway.... and I don't trust my INFP skills to pay attention enough to not die. The safer, back roads kind of way... is inefficient and out of the way... so I don't see the point in that.

When I had jury duty last month I took the bus in the days I had to be there... it was very convenient. Although I was concerned about not finding the right bus stop to get home... or missing the bus... etc... and then being stuck downtown.

Most of my friends live a good 30-50 miles from me so it takes long enough to get there as it is... trying to get to their place via bus would just be an exercise in irritation.

i take it all the time. i hate finding parking.
    my favourite is the motorcycle taxi. it's
    the best during rush hour.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I use the bus. First I didn't find the time to do my driving license yet, second I don't have any motivation to do so at the moment because I couldn't afford an own car since I don't work besides my study, and just borrowing the car rarely from my parents isn't worth it for me yet.

I don't find the bus that bad. Ok, it is annoying that you often have to wait for it, and at some times it is difficult to get to where you want to with a bus, but on the other hand it gives me time where I can just follow my thoughts and don't have to concentrate on anything else, so I don't really get bored in that time.

And regarding the status symbolism thing... well, I never have been like other people in that regard and I don't really care what I might look like to some superficial people who think you have to drive an expensive car to be a valueable person.