User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why don't you take public transport?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It takes far longer than driving and I value my time highly

10 26.32%
  • The ride is too noisy/harsh/the vibration makes me nauseous

4 10.53%
  • Poor quality/lack of availability of seating

4 10.53%
  • Some of the passengers make me really uncomfortable

5 13.16%
  • I fear for my safety when taking public transport

0 0%
  • I have a disability that prevents me from walking to and from the stops

0 0%
  • I regularly take items that cannot be taken on public transport

4 10.53%
  • Poor availiability / too many changeovers are required / too complicated

15 39.47%
  • I do public transport (I'm an outlier)

24 63.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    It's a wonder to me why anyone takes public transport. But if you are unfortunate enough to make the trip, you generally find such people fit in the following categories: poor foreigners, poor students, poor freaks and people who's car has broken down (this list is not mutually exclusive by the way).
    This is a joke, right?

It must be... I can only imagine what dumb ass would drive over the Brooklyn Bridge every morning to go to work in Manhattan - getting stuck in traffic for over 2 hours before you even reach Chinatown. Then finally get to midtown and pay $18+/hr to park in a garage - if you can even find one that has available spots within a 2 mile walking distance. Then doing the reverse commute at the end of the day, get to your neighborhood and then circle your block for another hour looking for parking. Then waking up at the crack of dawn each day (even on weekends) to move your car to the alternate side of the street (if you can find a space), so you don't get ticketed for blocking the street cleaners and garbage trucks and snow plows. And good luck finding a gas station if you need one.

Conversely, it takes me 22 minutes, door-to-door, by subway - if there are no delays.
    And as an added bonus, missed connections.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    But that's just it... when done right. Which includes everything from zoning and development practices to community commitment to people giving it a chance.
    In other words, you can live someplace where driving is convenient, or someplace where public transportation is convenient, but not somplace where both are convenient. I think I'll stick with driving...the versatility and independence that come from owning a car cannot be rivaled by even the best public transportation systems, and I much prefer trees and living space (suburban life) to steel, concrete, and over-crowding (urban life).

I would love to. The issue with the buses around here is that the time adds up crossing over to another bus. My city has light rail transits, but I haven't really have a use of them at the moment, not to mention they haven't extended here yet. Of all else, it is a nice thing for people working in downtown. The congestion isn't as bad as, say, SF or New York (well not even close,) but it gets bad enough during rush hour (North Bound during the morning... South Bound during the afternoon/late afternoon.)

The other issue is that it doesn't run 24 hours so..... yeah.

The issue for me is convenience and time. I avoid the freeway most of the time since it is quicker for me to drive locally to get to class as it is driving back during afternoon rush hour.

MBTI
    yupp

in chicago i took public transit all the time, in berkeley i'll be living basically cross the street and he has a car but i'll use it probably if i want to go somewhere on my own.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do take public transportation. Not every day, but I do. I walk or get a ride when possible.

I haven't owned a car in like ten years.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

P.S. Thatcher the Milk Snatcher's a fucking bitch, and saying anything about Bush at this point seems like shooting a dead horse.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't have my car in DC so I do use Public transport.

If I had it though, I wouldn't use it nearly as frequently.

I just use the metro, not the bus though.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't know about anywhere else, but Public transportation is poorly set up in Texas.. If you live downtown, where it all is, you can probably afford to take your own vehicle and/or use public transportation more as a convenience. For the people that really need it, it just isn't here. Usually you have to drive to get to the transportation device.. and you might as well drive all the way to your destination at that rate.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I take a bus to and from work because it costs $90 for a monthly pass vs. at least $11 a day for parking (a couple blocks from my office; the lot next to my office is $25/day). There isn't much of a stigma here against people taking the bus or train to work.

Where public transit fails me is time. The buses after work are rarely on time, so I usually end up waiting an inordinate amount of time for the next bus. And after 5:15 the express route I take no longer runs, so I have to wait for the slower, 'regular' route that only shows up every half hour if I have to work any more than 15 minutes late.

Combine this waiting with the fact it's inherently slower than driving and, well, I'm tired of taking the damn bus. I've grown to hate it. Outside of 7:00-8:00 in the morning and 4:15-5:15 in the afternoon buses are far too infrequent to be practical. If I don't catch a bus by 7:45 I'll walk back home and get my car. If I'm going anywhere after work I'll take my car. Outside of work and back the bus is useless.

The bus drivers are usually shite too. All the buses here come with exhaust brakes in addition to the regular drums at the wheels and they're activated when the driver lets off the throttle, so if a driver can't keep his or her foot on the gas like a normal frickin' human being would he or she ends up STOPPING and GOING and STOPPING and GOING and STOPPING and GOING, etc. A couple times I've vomited as a result.

The seats are also too small for anyone 5'-10" or taller, making any ride on the bus at best 'uncomfortable'.

And some of the passengers I just can't stand. There was one mentally handicapped guy who would take the same bus as I did on the way home from work, and for whatever reason the guy would get worked up and start punching people. Not full-on, wound-up throws, just little punches. But they hurt. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy off but... fuck, I shouldn't have to put up with that shit. I worried about what he would have done to a little kid or an old woman or something.

Oh well, I quit my job and my last day is Friday, so I've only got a few more of these crappy bus trips!

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Public transportation is not that bad. I don't own a car, thus I have to ride the bus a lot, or at least when I was going to college. The quality of the ride was decent and for the most part, generally ok.

I mean public transportation has its benefits over cars: driving in a car is extremely dangerous as automobile accidents are very common in the world, more so than trains or buses; cars cost thousands of dollars to buy and hundreds more to pay in insurance; cars pollute the environment a lot; cars can breaks down and cost money to fix; your car could get towed for any reason while your out somewhere, leaving you stranded, while missing the bus only means you have to wait a short amount of time before the next one; cars can get stuck in immense traffic jams,; cars can get taken away if you ow payments on them; etc.

Granted a car is great if you're going on a family vacation, but if you need to get into work or school, taking a bus or tain is a lot safer and cheaper.
    I agree with all of this. If there were more and better options for public transportation where I live, I'd probably ditch my car. I do take public transportation when I know parking will be expensive and I'm not in a particular rush to get anywhere. I still end up driving more than I'd like though. The buses don't come as frequently as I'd like and they don't always stop where I'd like. I don't mind walking a little bit but what do you do if you have several bags of groceries? Thus its just not always feasible to bus everywhere.

I've also had a couple of bad experiences with passengers. I had a drunk guy try to hit on me once. The bad experiences are rare though, and some of the annoying passengers are regular bus users. I know when they get on the bus, where they usually sit and I can work around that.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne