12311 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Support for Same-Sex Marriage Climbs to New High

Welp, here we go... the current keeps rising, as predicted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/201...ymarriage37962

A Gallup poll released today found that 53 percent of respondents believed "marriages between same-sex couples" should be legal, "with the same rights as traditional marriages." It's an all-time high--that question has never gotten more than 50 percent support in Gallup poll.

In one sense, this isn't quite news; Politico points out that other surveys have generated similar results in the past few months. In April, a CNN poll found 51 percent support for gay marriage, and in March, a Washington Post/ABC poll also found 53 percent support. Another CNN poll, last August, found 52 percent in favor of gay marriage.

Still, the Gallup poll is further evidence that support for gay marriage is climbing. Last year, Gallup found only 44 percent in favor of gay marriage, meaning there was a nine-point jump in support this year--the largest year-to-year change since Gallup began conducting annual polls about gay marriage in 2004...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

That number is going to skyrocket after the good, sweet Lord slurps up all the idiots tomorrow.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Woohoo! However, that number is still outrageously low. Like I'm kinda outraged right now that only a little over half the nation thinks gay people are people and deserve the rights that all people get.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

If this poll is accurate, then I must conclude that a disproportionate number of gay rights supporters don't vote.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    If this poll is accurate, then I must conclude that a disproportionate number of gay rights supporters don't vote.
    While true (gay marriage supporters are disproportionately younger people, who tend not to vote as often as older groups), I suspect its more a matter of a lack of prioritization among most supporters relative to opponents, combined with the coalition-building nature of American politics.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    While true (gay marriage supporters are disproportionately younger people, who tend not to vote as often as older groups), I suspect its more a matter of a lack of prioritization among most supporters relative to opponents, combined with the coalition-building nature of American politics.
    I don't see why that matters. The last time a gay rights bill went up for a vote in California it got voted down. Political affiliations and such shouldn't matter in that case. Either the voters support gay rights or they don't. And if California can't pass a gay rights bill then what chance do the other states have?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Seniors comprise one of the most tight-knit and largest single voting force. That baby boomers went from one of the most liberal generations to one of the most conservative, is beyond me. Let's hope the most conservative belong to the dying generation.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I don't see why that matters. The last time a gay rights bill went up for a vote in California it got voted down. Political affiliations and such shouldn't matter in that case. Either the voters support gay rights or they don't. And if California can't pass a gay rights bill then what chance do the other states have?
    It was a close vote even then (I assume you're talking about the gay marriage vote of a couple years ago?), and public support for gay marriage has increased dramatically in a very short period of time since then.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You people clearly never grew up in rural redneck areas, if you wonder where all of the anti-gay-rights folks are at. They exist in droves. And they have shotguns.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Seniors comprise one of the most tight-knit and largest single voting force. That baby boomers went from one of the most liberal generations to one of the most conservative, is beyond me. Let's hope the most conservative belong to the dying generation.
    Do you realise that's a common tendency no?