User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Very nice ! Next goal robot marriage xD
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's all too forgotten how socially conservative the Left was at times.
    This is part of the reason that I'm very surely old, old left.

I dont know how cultural conservatism can ever prove compatible with or reconcile itself to capitalism, I tend to see most of the "anything goes" culture struggles of movements such as gay campaigners as nothing other than the culture of consumerism breeching every other sphere of life.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Well put.

MBTI
    IsFJ

This is good news, comparatively speaking... Also, Brazil, my country, has recognized legal unions between homosexuals. Yay!

I love when the anti-gay crowd is on the receiving end of a good Nelson laugh.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is part of the reason that I'm very surely old, old left.

I dont know how cultural conservatism can ever prove compatible with or reconcile itself to capitalism, I tend to see most of the "anything goes" culture struggles of movements such as gay campaigners as nothing other than the culture of consumerism breeching every other sphere of life.
    I fully agree with you. Capitalism and traditional morality do no go together, and many "conservatives"(ie classical liberals) delude themselves to think otherwise. Benjamin R. Barber, among others, have noted this and even how consumerism not only promotes but even thrives off social and indvidual immaturity.

The French Revolution followed by the rise of Napoleon followed by the restoration of the Bourbons represents a far greater shift from "left" to "right" in the span of a generation or so than anything we've seen in baby boomers.

As for the hope of the last "conservative" generation:
    X-Cons: The Conservative Mind of Generation X
    True about the French Revolution. I wasn't going back that far, pretty much focusing on modern history within the last 100 years.

I have a problem with deliberate ignorance and that's what the author is stating. As a Gen-Xer, thank goodness most of us don't embrace this.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    By and large, these 'far far leftists' were not in favor of gay marriage while young, so why should they be expected to be in favor of gay marriage in their old age, after decades of socialization to the contrary? Its not as if most younger people have a different opinion due to a superior capacity for empathy, independent thought or critical reasoning....most have simply had their incipient world-view heavily influenced by 'popular culture', just like the youngsters of other generations in the mass-media era.
    I suppose it depends on which chunk of baby boomers we're talking about. Hopefully the leading edge and middle, die off soon.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Or worse, gay robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    This is good news, comparatively speaking... Also, Brazil, my country, has recognized legal unions between homosexuals. Yay!

I love when the anti-gay crowd is on the receiving end of a good Nelson laugh. :wink:
    And why should that be?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I don't see why that matters. The last time a gay rights bill went up for a vote in California it got voted down. Political affiliations and such shouldn't matter in that case. Either the voters support gay rights or they don't. And if California can't pass a gay rights bill then what chance do the other states have?
    Remember that (1) Prop 8 was originally ignored by the same-sex supporters because they didn't think it would pass and (2) the Mormon church and other out-of-state orgs targeted CA as a state to push their legislation in and dumped a hell of a lot of money into that fight before opposition mounted, and also targeted new Hispanic immigrants comprising an increasingly large percentage of the state, appealing to fear. As it was, the race was still tight (I think within a percentage point).

I fully agree with you. Capitalism and traditional morality do no go together, and many "conservatives"(ie classical liberals) delude themselves to think otherwise. Benjamin R. Barber, among others, have noted this and even how consumerism not only promotes but even thrives off social and indvidual immaturity.
    I agree with this, although I'm still laughing at Lark assuming that "anything goes" somehow = gay campaigners, since the values they're fighting for seem to be just as passionately held as the Christian pro-life movement's -- people think there is a wrong being done in society, and they're trying to remedy it. Trying to equate it primarily to hedonism of some sort sounds just like the backwoods fundies labeling gays as nothing more than bathhouse pervs back in the 80's.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    True about the French Revolution. I wasn't going back that far, pretty much focusing on modern history within the last 100 years.
    Well even then, the cultural shift within Soviet society from the "free love" ways of the early 1920s("sex should be as common as drinking water" was Alexandra Kollontai's slogan) to Stalinism in the 1930s was pretty stark too. The Soviet Union was one of the first states to legalize abortion then outlawed it in 1936.

Actually there was strong contrast between the "Jazz Age" mores of the 1920s and the more socially conservative 1930s in plenty of places. America, France, Germany, etc.