User Tag List

First 172526272829 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I remember reading something about polygamists being right on the heels of homosexuals in terms of wanting the same rights. Polygamists feel they should have the same rights, and especially, if homosexuals gain the same rights.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I remember reading something about polygamists being right on the heels of homosexuals in terms of wanting the same rights. Polygamists feel they should have the same rights, and especially, if homosexuals gain the same rights.
    Dont forget the people asking if beastiality is really wrong or if its just a moral judgement too far to reject it.

MBTI
    INTj

Polygamy itself is not objectionable if all participants were doing it by choice. However, breeding and indoctrinating young girls to service old men is inconsistent with fundamental concepts of fairness. The two are not comparable.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What'll be next? Huh? Suggesting that an extrovert and introvert can get it on?!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Polygamy itself is not objectionable if all participants were doing it by choice. However, breeding and indoctrinating young girls to service old men is inconsistent with fundamental concepts of fairness.
    I think there would be other objections to polygamy even if there was an age of consent.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No. There is a vogue, its modernism writ large, to pretend that all knowledge is invention or innovation, from the human mind, projected outwards, however even the first scientists, which were more akin to alchemy, knew that their theorising and knowledge was about discovery. Discover of objective rational rules or laws in a rational order independent, outside and other than the human mind.

The question is really what does it mean? The question of whether or not recreational sex of any kind is natural is the same as whether or not drinking alcohol or orange juice is natural, just because you can do it doesnt mean its natural or ordained or anything like that, I think its a red herring, it doesnt confer legitimacy all by itself. Questions of can or should are ethical not naturalistic questions.

There's no mistake that mating was intended to be between different sexes, heterosexuality is natural, its not a pseudonistic construct created to repress gay people. Recreational sex? Well it can be just about anything, however there's a lot of sexual habits which dont even register politically, homosexuality does, at one time homosexuals and their supporters didnt like that, presently it seems they do and want to maintain that.
    Natural vs unnatural is an irrelevant dichotomy to me. I don't care. There are basically two common definitions of natural. One would make wearing clothes and using computers unnatural, and the other would make anything we do natural. Therefore, neither one makes a good platform for condemning homosexuality.

I myself think homosexuality could be natural, unnatural, supernatural, purple, or whatever adjective you want to put on it. It doesn't matter. I want to know why homosexuality should be considered harmful or threatening before I'm going to hold anything against it.

Well, frankly, why not allow polygamy? I'm not interested in it, but I don't see it as inherently damaging to me if someone else does it, especially since people will do it anyway even if it's not legally sanctioned. That's one of the silliest things about this whole debate. What profound difference will it make to our society to let people who currently can't get the legal benefits of marriage get them? I'm perplexed that this whole things has ever been a topic of controversy because it is so unimportant.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think there would be other objections to polygamy even if there was an age of consent.
    Yea, in many cases, polygamy is about control and not freedom. Gay issues are about freedom and choice. I think beastiality is in the same boat..... "training" a dog, for instance, is about control, and the animal has no choice in the matter.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Yea, in many cases, polygamy is about control and not freedom. Gay issues are about freedom and choice. I think beastiality is in the same boat..... "training" a dog, for instance, is about control, and the animal has no choice in the matter.
    The problem with beastiality that separates it from homosexuality or polygamy is pretty obvious. We can't communicate with animals, we don't know when they are or are not consenting, and at any rate legally they aren't citizens or even people.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTj

Those who object are free to abstain. But why should they have the right to impose their values on others?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Those who object are free to abstain. But why should they have the right to impose their values on others?
    I believe in equality. Polygamy doesn't promote that. Therefore, I don't believe in raising kids in that environment. It's not healthy, imo. At some point, it becomes less about imposing values, and more about protecting children from harm and the inability to grow and become themselves.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype