User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Dr. Who is brilliant, David Tennant is also brilliant. You should be aware that it's production and filming is primarily in Cardiff, Wales. *thumbs up*
    So was Torchwood, apparently...is that unusual, or is Cardiff noted as a major movie and television center?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Scotland is the coolest country I've ever been to.

They've got it all, food made of one animal stuffed inside another animal, stuffed inside another, Scotch... AND they invented snipers.

My genes may bias me a wee bit.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Okay...

British or Scottish?*

More to the point (as you have already answered that question), why? Do you lack significant non-Scot British ancestry? Do you feel some massive cultural gap between Scotland and the rest of the UK? Do you feel unable to identify as a Scot and a Brit at the same time (and if so, why)? Is it primarily a matter of left-wing fiscal preferences relative to England, combined with an absence of strong national identifaction either way? And how would you feel about residents of Scotland who would choose to secede frome an independent Scotland and join the UK?

*And if you're going to make a big deal out of it...then don't call all Americans 'Yanks'.
    Britain was originally an invention of a Scots protestant monarch, anyway, I do think its about fiscal policies, not left leaning so much as a rejection of the English slavish pandering to the interests of London and international bankers, seriously since the eighties successive conservative governments have done nothing other than find how best they can serve their City masters.

Imagine the US being run by Gordon Gecko and you get the idea.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    British or Scottish?*

More to the point (as you have already answered that question), why? Do you lack significant non-Scot British ancestry? Do you feel some massive cultural gap between Scotland and the rest of the UK? Do you feel unable to identify as a Scot and a Brit at the same time (and if so, why)? Is it primarily a matter of left-wing fiscal preferences relative to England, combined with an absence of strong national identifaction either way? And how would you feel about residents of Scotland who would choose to secede frome an independent Scotland and join the UK?

*And if you're going to make a big deal out of it...then don't call all Americans 'Yanks'.
    1) Because there is a clearly demarked difference in behaviour and thinking style between the rest of the UK and the South East of England + London. Scotland has it's own unique set of challenges and opportunities which are mostly ignored.

2) My ancestry is rather Scots; with a bit of Irish and German in it a few generations ago.

3) Having worked in the middle east and across various parts of the UK; yes, Scottish culture is markedly different and we tend to gravitate together when you hear a Scottish twang anywhere in the world. The oddness of bumping into a guy who lived 2 streets away in the Shangrila Singapore was amusing.

4) I don't feel much Britishness at all. My daily interaction is with other Scots and we all refer to one another as Scottish. There is paperwork that claim's I'm British, but let's be honest, I'm as likely to travel to France, Germany or Norway as to England. Even then, the legal and governing framework I deal with is Scottish as it always has been independent of England and Wales.

I also think that other parts of the UK view each other as different. People do view themselves as culturally Scotland, Northern English, South-West English, Home Counties, Wales or Northern Irish - Very few people my age view themselves as 'British First'

5) That would be fine, I don't see why it would worry me. For Example: Orkney and Shetlands view themselves as more Norwegian; I don't understand why they don't have the same devolved assemblies as Jersey and Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

6) I don't, I call Americans... Americans. *gasps*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Down to the hard hitting questions... What's the drink of choice in Scotland? I'm not asking what they're most known for (duh), what does your average Scot order when they're chilling out?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Down to the hard hitting questions... What's the drink of choice in Scotland? I'm not asking what they're most known for (duh), what does your average Scot order when they're chilling out?
    Anything as long as you are buying.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think it's great that Scotland wants it's independence. I thoroughly support this. I don't get why it will take a few year time though. Why so long? If on a whole, the people of a land mass have terribly different ideologies than it's government, then, yeah, it's time for independence. Hopefully without a war. The question is why might the English oppose Scotland becoming independent?

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius is a British unionist, so he believe Scotland is better off within the United Kingdom. If Scotland was independent not only would it have to cut the level of public spending but it would obviously have much less influence internationally.

Ideally the United Kingdom would be a federal state instead of being an unitary sovereign state, with devolution over all matters but defence, national security, monetary and economic issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Falcarius is a British unionist, so he believe Scotland is better off within the United Kingdom. If Scotland was independent not only would it have to cut the level of public spending
    a) Scotland is better off within the United Kingdom
    b) If Scotland was independent not only would it have to cut the level of public spending

*head explodes as he divides by zero*

Scotland does well out of the union by being poorer as a result? Reduce poverty subsidy, reduce problem. I love economics.

He said as the Westmonsterer Chancellor gouges £20bln in a tax grab over 5 years from that juicy 86% Scottish oil. A value that is 2/3rds of the £30bln Scottish yearly budget for everything.

c) much less influence internationally

How exactly does a non-state have any influence internationally?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well until the city of london is defeated I just dont think Britain can work.