User Tag List

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Surveillance cams at elementary school monitor food intake

I read this article and got to thinking, is nothing private anymore?

Surveillance cams at elementary school monitor food intake

David Pescovitz at 11:27 AM Monday, May 16, 2011
    Some elementary schools in San Antonio, Texas are installing videocameras in their cafeterias to track what the young people are eating. Funded by a US Department of Agriculture grant, the project is meant to collect data that could be used to fight childhood obesity. According to the San Antonio-based Social and Health Research Center, the hope is that the information will lead to better menus at home and at school. Seems like one way to reduce the intake of crap food at elementary school cafeterias (and at home) would be to not serve crap food. From Reuters:
    Officials will receive information on the nutrient and calorie counts of the food children have actually consumed.
    The technology will identify the food, capture the nutrient levels and measure the food that children eat, according to Dr. Roger Echon of the center, who designed the program.
    Echon on Wednesday showed reporters a printout of the reading from one student's tray at W.W. White Elementary School. It listed the size of the serving, and its calorie, fiber, sugar, and protein count. He said the program can break down the data into total monounsaturated fatty acids, soluble dietary fiber, and more than 100 other specific measures.

INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

couldn't they use that money for books or new computers or something that actually matters?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm guessing the school is getting funding by participating in the study. Our kids' schools are strange places where normal rules of society do not apply.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Seems like one way to reduce the intake of crap food at elementary school cafeterias (and at home) would be to not serve crap food
    This sentence was my reaction. But Im guessing the school food is probably healthier than what they eat at home anyway - at least if things are still the same as when I was in Elementary school. It's probably the at-home diet that is more responsible for childhood obesity.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

I think its because San Antonio has the highest rate of obesity in the U.S. Or one of them. I can't remember if was minors or the populace as a whole. ...Its a fat town is what I'm saying.

EDIT: Alright, I'm trying to find some quick studies on it. Here's what I've got so far:

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/...6591271803353/

http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/14/hea...1114obese.html

And here's one that expands on the link above:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110511/...calorie_camera

Man I really hate that every study keeps using the BMI as their primary indicator for obesity.

Wouldn't there need to be parental consent for invasion of privacy? This isn't a homeland security issue, where the Patriot Act would kick in.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Why don't kids take packed lunches in America? I mean do you pay for the food at the cafeteria or is it provided as part of the ciriculum. Just wondering. I experienced scottish school dinners (which I do not have pleasant memories of), I liked the free milk though and I do prefer NZ's tradition of taking a packed lunch. I was just wondering what the story was in the US.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I honestly don't know. When I had lunch I always had a packed lunch, because my parents were frugal. I usually packed it myself. School lunches cost more unless you had some some kind of government assistence and got them from free.

Actually, that's probably part of the answer. Bringing a lunch probably makes you look poor. Also it's easier to give your kids a couple bucks than pack them something.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I honestly don't know. When I had lunch I always had a packed lunch, because my parents were frugal. I usually packed it myself. School lunches cost more unless you had some some kind of government assistence and got them from free.

Actually, that's probably part of the answer. Bringing a lunch probably makes you look poor. Also it's easier to give your kids a couple bucks than pack them something.
    Being obese makes you look poorer, at least in a wealthy country like the U.S.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

*fat kids get home from school*

Mother: how was school kids?
    Kids: Boring, we don't have enough money for text books and there creepy cameras in the cafeteria.
    Mother: that sucks.
    Kids: what's for dinner?
    Mother I'm buying McDonalds and KFC, anything you want, and for desert, ice cream cake!
    Kids: yaaaaaay!