User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 58

  1. #21
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,643

    Default

    There have been numerous threads on the definition of socialism and the differences between socialism and social democracy/mixed economy as well as the ups and downs of libertarianism...just saying.

    Less talk about economic politics and more torches and pitchforks, people!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  2. #22
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    There have been numerous threads on the definition of socialism and the differences between socialism and social democracy/mixed economy as well as the ups and downs of libertarianism...just saying.
    So, your point is to say that IMF is a soc-dem thing? Soc-dem are actually socialists, but simply not marxist socialist.

    Less talk about economic politics and more torches and pitchforks, people!
    Yes! I wash that also. lol.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  3. #23
    figsfiggyfigs
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I imagine he can afford a whore in his times of need. I imagine there are even whores willing to play a rape scene if that is what gets him off. The supposed scenario sounds so stupid that I have difficulty believing it.
    Completely agree. It's utterly absurd. If it's true, it's quite the story.

  4. #24
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I imagine he can afford a whore in his times of need. I imagine there are even whores willing to play a rape scene if that is what gets him off. The supposed scenario sounds so stupid that I have difficulty believing it.
    The basic meaning of what you say is that a rich man could never be a rapist or condamned for rapism just because he can pay prostitution. So a rich man could rape every girls and woman he want without any molestation just needing to resort your argument. Do you realize how stupid it is?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

  5. #25
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,643

    Default

    Of course having the money for a prostitute does not prevent rape.

    However, there does seem to be a correlation between both rape and domination fantasies and power and submission fantasies. A good part of rape is about making the rapist feel powerful. People who already do have power, from what I have heard, tend to have fantasies of submission, not domination. That makes it unlikely somebody who feels power every day would feel the need to rape a hotel housekeeper to feel good about himself.

    Strauss-Kahn does have a history of very agressively approaching women on the other hand, if the rumours are true. You can debate whether that is due to a high sex drive, having to prove his masculinity as he ages or whatever. But it is not the same thing to invite every good looking woman you come across to come up to your hotel room as it is to violently grap the chambermaid, lock her in your suite and try to force yourself on her.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  6. #26
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Guilty or innocent, his political chances are probably fucked, which in turn means the socialists in France might be fucked
    Yay!

    Seriously, I think the election is in 2012, so the Socialist will probably have time to come up with a viable replacement.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    The basic meaning of what you say is that a rich man could never be a rapist or condamned for rapism just because he can pay prostitution.
    No. I stated reasons that, based on the little information I have, lead me to believe that he is rather not guilty than guilty.

    - He does not need to rape in order to have sex.
    - He does not need to rape in order to fulfill fantasies of rape.
    - The supposed victim knew who he was.
    - The hotel knew who he was.
    - He is and knows that he is a public person.

    So, if indeed he raped her, he disregarded the high probability of the crime becoming public and himself being caught, eventually ending his well-running career. Of course it is not impossible that he did it, but it would require a lack of caution that I doubt a man of his position would suffer from. To me, the most likely scenario is that what, on his part, was supposed to be 'aggressive seduction' was, on her part, interpreted as rape - or that the whole thing is a sham.

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    So a rich man could rape every girls and woman he want without any molestation just needing to resort your argument. Do you realize how stupid it is?
    No.

  8. #28
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I will really laugh when media will broadcast pictures of him in a orange prison uniform. Ever when I saw that:

    I hear the French media threw some kind of hissy-fit over that picture....which is something I find funny.

    After hearing about his history and reputation, I'm more inclined to believe the allegations than not....but there is simply not enough information or evidence to form a real opinion.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    From what I've heard:

    -the woman didn't know who he was till later.
    -the police (and hotel staff) believed her story from the start.
    -the police didn't really grasp who he was at first either.
    -the story of the assault is so detailed (he came out of the bathroom naked, stopped her from leaving and locked the door, forced himself on her in the bedroom, she escaped and ran for the door, he caught her again and forced himself on her in the bathroom, then she finally escaped for good) means there should be plenty if physical evidence.

  10. #30
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Of course having the money for a prostitute does not prevent rape.

    However, there does seem to be a correlation between both rape and domination fantasies and power and submission fantasies. A good part of rape is about making the rapist feel powerful. People who already do have power, from what I have heard, tend to have fantasies of submission, not domination. That makes it unlikely somebody who feels power every day would feel the need to rape a hotel housekeeper to feel good about himself.
    I don't see that. There's a category of people who are powerful and fantasize about submission. There's also a category of powerful people who, since they have power, want even more. Probably the most current category actually. DSK fall into that category, that's all.


    No. I stated reasons that, based on the little information I have, lead me to believe that he is rather not guilty than guilty.

    - He does not need to rape in order to have sex.
    - He does not need to rape in order to fulfill fantasies of rape.
    ...so you think he can't be a rapist. As I told it, you said rich men don't rape. You have'nt actually any real information but only speculations about what you think about him.


    - The supposed victim knew who he was.
    - The hotel knew who he was.
    - He is and knows that he is a public person.
    Ooooh, now the victim and the hotel knew who he was. Apparently you don't know yourself who he is. But every people who know him personaly are aware of his sexual depravation. He is a public person? He is above all a powerful person, the kind of guy that women hesite to attack in justice because thay are afraid of them. Several past affairs have recently surfaced since the "incident". Including the case of a women named Tristane Banon who is a socialist and who the daughter had been sexually abused by DSK for the past. But she asked her to not attack him because that could harm her political career. Since the incident, she finally revealed the past affair, as soon as she revealed it, french socialist told her that "she has not her place anymore at the Parti Socialist".

    eventually ending his well-running career.
    No. He rape women several times and that never threatened his careers, he's the typycal sort of guy who is in power circles since decades and is protected from any sort of justice. It's time to stop that shit.

    but it would require a lack of caution that I doubt a man of his position would suffer from.
    (facepalm) And now you thik that people in power position are likely to be sane. I prefer to laugh.

    To me, the most likely scenario is that what, on his part, was supposed to be 'aggressive seduction' was, on her part, interpreted as rape - or that the whole thing is a sham.
    We can call it "agressive seduction" when you kiss a girl without ask her permision, not when you take her and force her to go in you bedroom, lock the door and put your cock in her mouth.

    but there is simply not enough information or evidence to form a real opinion.
    Procurors and judges have curently enough information and evidence to send him in jail for 74 years. He would be 136 years old at his exit. I guess he would'nt be able to rape anymore at this age.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

    Chaotic Neutral

    E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

    "I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

    "Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Similar Threads

  1. Strauss-Howe generational theory: What's your take? Where do you fit in?
    By xisnotx in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO