First 45678 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Naturally doesn't mean shit. By nature's intent, I should be aggresive, dominating, powerful, ambitious, and competitive. I'm not though; despite being born male I'm sincere, kind, quiet, thoughtful, and peaceful.

Sorry, but... srsly? You are definitely one of the more assertive members of any forum I have seen you participate in. I would be far more inclined to place you in the first bucket, not the second, if I was forced to choose. Do you present that differently IRL?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The word gender holds different meanings.

a) "gender" as a biological factor relevant for some (not all) forms of life
    b) "gender" as a social construct regarding humans

The two categories overlap to some extent. It is possible, that some people are born as females biologically, but are males as per the social construct. "Gender studies" are mostly focusing on the latter.
    It's only a matter of definition imo.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Sorry, but... srsly? You are definitely one of the more assertive members of any forum I have seen you participate in. I would be far more inclined to place you in the first bucket, not the second, if I was forced to choose. Do you present that differently IRL?
    I think people vent the sides not normally seen in places more appropriate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Most sex-linked (or gender-linked) differences are relatively small, for example, looking at some personality traits, the differences look like this:

Are there differences? Yes, on average there are small differences in a number of areas. But note that in most areas there is more then enough overlap that gender doesn't mean that much. Any given individual might be better or worse, more aggressive or less aggressive, more nurturing or less than a specific person of the opposite gender. Some studies have found similar real—but small—differences in mathematical (men do slightly better) and verbal (women do slightly better) abilities.

A more extreme case area (like certain measures of physical strength or speed) might look more like:

But note there is still a lot of overlap, even in the above.

It seem like the problem is the social construction of gender often exaggerates these differences so that the social construct looks more like:

(or even having no overlap, in extreme cases). This exaggeration then artificially constrains people's ability to use their talents and to feel validated for their real strengths. That's a waste and an injustice.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I really seem that assertive on the web? Perhaps I was seein myself the wrong way Although in real life, I tend to be more like the second bucket, although maybe that's just shyness

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Naturally doesn't mean shit. By nature's intent, I should be aggresive, dominating, powerful, ambitious, and competitive. I'm not though; despite being born male I'm sincere, kind, quiet, thoughtful, and peaceful. Which means that biological gender doesn't influence psychological gender; that aspect of gender is more likely infleunced by society.
    Yes, you are a wimp. But it is something personal. It's just you. And if you admit yourself that you are different from what your gender typically is, you admit yourself that gender exist. You are feminine, but you have always knew you were feminine because you saw that most part of other males were masculine. Seeing that natural phenomenon which is gender.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

social construct

a social mechanism, phenomenon, or category created and developed by society; a perception of an individual, group, or idea that is 'constructed' through cultural or social practice

Nope, not a social construct.

Not a choice either.

It's what you are born as - male or female.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

The only mean pursue those who want to demonstrate that genders are social constructs is ideological. Not rational.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Yes, you are a wimp. But it is something personal. It's just you. And if you admit yourself that you are different from what your gender typically is, you admit yourself that gender exist. You are feminine, but you have always knew you were feminine because you saw that most part of other males were masculine. Seeing that natural phenomenon which is gender.
    So Jennifer think I'm assertive and you think I'm a wimp. So I'm an assertive wimp? That sounds like an odd contradiction, think I'll make it my new user title Also if it proves anything, it's that biological gender is simply whether one has a penis or vagina, and that it's not wholly related to what society considers as social boundaries, although society tends to derive aspects of gender roles from biology.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    social construct

a social mechanism, phenomenon, or category created and developed by society; a perception of an individual, group, or idea that is 'constructed' through cultural or social practice

Nope, not a social construct.

Not a choice either.

It's what you are born as - male or female.
    How naive.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness