User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

It is a social construct. Construction based on what? On the actual and inherent males/females differences.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    It is a social construct. Construction based on what? On the actual and inherent males/females differences.
    I don't know, I've met some women who are damn terrible cooks, and men who are chefs.

What about men who aren't very aggressive and don't hunt?

Society prescribes roles to people. It's foolish to think all individuals will fit those pre-determined "roles."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

I believe gender is a social construct, in that the power it holds is largely illusionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I like the excited unpredictability of guessing ahead of time what side Perch will pick when he drags out his next volatile topic. I never quite know!
    Should we make a poll about what his next topic will be?

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I don't know, I've met some women who are damn terrible cooks, and men who are chefs.

What about men who aren't very aggressive and don't hunt?

Society prescribes roles to people. It's foolish to think all individuals will fit those pre-determined "roles."
    My opinion is that guys who don't hunt could'nt find their food in the stone age and that women could'nt do that job, so, they would cook, and a woman who is terrible to cook would be rejected by the tribe. In the modern world, women can be terrible at cook without too much consequence, because their mate don't have to hunt for eat, so they can accept a deal like "you will go to shopping and I will cook", women being globally easily able to do shopping as well as men, but less easily to hunt as well as men. So, people can devy from traditional gender norms, because it is allowed by civilisation (ie, not natural), but if we would return to the stone age, the natural gender norms would get over it again. Actually, deviation from genders are based on civilisation and are social constructs, that does'nt mean it is necessarly a wrong thing, of course, but it is foolish to say that "gendesr are social constructs", genders exist by nature.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I know some female hunters that sold me some jerky. they took me hunting but i stayed in the car and listened to the radio.

im terrible with guns, spears and bows.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    In the entire animal kingdom, and with mammals in particular, women stay at home and raise children while men go out and hunt.
    False.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    genders exist by nature.
    But they are defined by us, and those definitions can and do vary across cultures, which is what I typically infer to be "social constructs".

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I actually agree with some of what Perch is saying.
    1) it's not women's duty to have children and stay at home being useless, BUT if they do decide to have children, the the first responsibility of any mother is to take care of her children. no mother should put the needs of her career before her children. if someone proposed a law restricting women with children under 10 from joining the military, I would almost support it (for the sake of the child of course, not for the sake of enforcing social expections. I would not support this law because legal enforcement of social expectations would be the resulting trend)
    2) women and men are biologically different on a number of levels
    3) if you look at the training records of men and women, men tend to be able to lift more and gain more weight on average
    4) men have higher testerone levels which leads to higher overall aggression, muscle gain and ambition than women (on average)
    5) the idea that a woman can slap a man but a man can't hit a woman under any circumstances is completely ludacris (I was severely sexually harassed by a girl in 9th grade and I kicked her ass. got her suspended too hehehe)
    6) 90% of women are attracted to power, money, muscular physique, passion and dominance; 90% men are attracted to youth, child bearing hips, large breasts and innocent, feminine personalities. there is nothing wrong with this, it doesn't make women inferior or men perverts, that's just biology.
    7) women who think they need to act like men to be "feminist" are the real sexists. if they were secure with themselves, they would see that being feminine and doing what is natural for them can get them respect.
    8) of course, that being said, some women are naturally more masculine, but the natural behavior of a strong, more masculine women is not the same as a man's
    9) similarly, not all men are highly masculine, but men shouldn't be made to feel ashamed of their masculinity, it just needs to be CHANNELED. dominant, powerful men are much more likely to get wealth and success than submissive, insecure men (look at Donald Trump for example)
    *also, the myth that all gay men are feminine and female-esque is ridiculous. while gay men are probably going to be more feminine overall, I am ashamed of the number of gay men who act like women to fit in
    10) the current culture in america discourages both masculine and feminine behavior when it should be encouraging both.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I doubt it's entirely a social construct, if we take gender to be patterns of behavior related to physical sex. However, I thing a very great deal of what we observe, the majority of it, is socially constructed, and furthermore, I like the average persons believes there's a much greater difference on average between men and women than even the research selected by the most enthusiastic evolutionary psychologists shows.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    GONE

There is a difference between gender and sex. Sex is biological and physical. Gender is a social construct. Sex is what is between your legs. Gender is what is between your ears. Gender constructs are based off sex, but more specifically they are based on ideas of what sex is and what each sex is allowed to be and should be and should not be. It's the product of higher brain functioning and the ability to form complex social groups. That's why it's a social construct, no where in the animal kingdom does it say 'women must stay home, have babies, and cook'. In prehistoric days there may have been a 'natural' demarcation in roles purely for survival in a harsh landscape but now with birth control, education, infrastructure, dishwashers, all that good stuff men and women are more free to create our own destinies. Sex also encompass more than the dichotomy of tradtional XY/XX male/female, certain culture are more accepting of this when it comes to their understanding of gender and gender roles, some cultures aren't when it comes to their rules and standards about gender - again it's a social, not a biological phenomena.

So basically, the idea of gender may stem from the physical understanding of sex but it is a lot more than biology.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari