User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ISTx

The stories have already changed about what the scene looked like. At first, Bin Laden was armed and used one of his wives as a shield.... But that has changed, and apparently he wasn't armed at all.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    The stories have already changed about what the scene looked like. At first, Bin Laden was armed and used one of his wives as a shield.... But that has changed, and apparently he wasn't armed at all.
    And of course that just fuels the conspiracy doesn't it?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Cindy Sheehan is already calling crazy-ass shenanigans on this. Deatherism!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/wei...m-is-born.aspx
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFX

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    It seems to work now, at least that one pic. Beware, very graphic...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/photos/unid...195008698.html

Now that one photo is released of the dead, in almost the same fashion that Bin Laden was killed, I don't see a reason to withhold Bin Laden's death photo.
    Is that a toy pistol?
    In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Now that one photo is released of the dead, in almost the same fashion that Bin Laden was killed, I don't see a reason to withhold Bin Laden's death photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Bin Laden photos are being kept from the public because the images could be insulting to those who followed his idealogies; the last thing the government wants to do is piss off thousands of people in the middle east who respected Osama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    yep^ Although they've already pissed off all the sheep when they killed the shepherd, releasing the pic of OBL just makes it look like America is rubbing its balls in the face of certain [mujahideen/Palestinian/al qaeda] members and sympathizers.

and they look so peaceful
    Quote Originally Posted by Mae View Post
    I don't understand why people want to see the pictures. I understand curiosity (I looked, too), but the people who are rabid for it just... disturb me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I've seen worse death pictures than that. I mean, really. I think the reason why they're out there is because the people want proof "I won't believe it til I see it." I heard this voiced amongst my roommates the other night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I think they want some concrete proof that he's dead, mostly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Pictures of Bin Laden will just result in the doubters saying it's all doctored photos or staged impersonators. These people are leading with sentiment, no practical evidence will change their minds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not just the possibility that his supporters wont believe he's dead, the first people who I heard raise doubts about this, and within hours of the announcement, were Obama hating Americans, they all suggested it was a stunt to make him popular with the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I want to see the pictures because we should have the right to. Bin Laden was an enemy of the U.S.... all of its citizens. Why should only the leaders, our country's representatives at the top have the luxury of seeing pictures and making the decision that he is indeed dead. There are DNA tests and there is photographic proof? Well then, let us see it. What's the big deal? I don't think it's a hoax, but I'm never fully convinced of anything until I have some definitive or at least highly suggestive proof. It would be nice to be extended the courtesy.

There was little hesitation to release photos of the Abu Ghraib incidents. You're not going to piss the Jihadists off much more than with pictures of that nature. I really don't think releasing Bin Laden's photos is going to jeopardize us or the troops any further than where things already are.
    This issue is in court now. According to the Blog of Legal Times:
    January 26, 2012
    DOJ Defends Keeping Bin Laden Death Photos Secret

The U.S. Justice Department has asked a federal judge to keep secret photos showing the death of Osama bin Laden, saying the images are classified because of their potential to incite violence against the United States.

The department filed court papers (PDF) Wednesday in a public records suit in Washington asking U.S. District Judge James Boasberg to keep the photos out of the public domain.

DOJ attorney Marcia Berman of the Civil Division’s federal programs branch said the photos “reveal specific intelligence activities and methods and specific military methods, tools, equipment, and techniques employed during or after the operation” that killed bin Laden in May.

“For over two decades, bin Laden was the leader and symbol of al-Qaida, a terrorist organization at war with the United States,” Berman said. “The mere release of the images could be interpreted as a deliberate attempt by the United States to humiliate bin Laden, which could trigger violence, attacks, or acts of revenge against the United States.”

Judicial Watch, the conservative nonprofit organization that advocates for transparency in government, sued the U.S. Department of Defense and the Central Intelligence Agency in May in Washington federal district court.

Judicial Watch attorneys James Peterson and Michael Bekesha complained that the agencies did not conduct an adequate search and that the CIA violated classification procedures. The Justice Department said the intelligence agency has complied with its obligations.

Bekesha said in court papers (PDF) that Judicial Watch isn’t seeking any government records “that have been properly classified or would actually cause harm to the national security by revealing intelligence methods or the identity of U.S. personnel or classified technology.”

Under the Freedom of Information Act, the plaintiff’s lawyers said, “the American people have a right to these historical artifacts to capture this moment. To date, the government has failed to provide a legally sufficient justification for why such records must not be released.”

Judicial Watch said the Justice Department hasn’t demonstrated that publishing the records “would cause anything more than speculative harm to the national security.”

The photos depict, among other things, the fatal bullet wound to bin Laden’s head, graphic images of his corpse, the preparation of his body for burial and the burial at sea itself, according to the Justice Department.

The images, DOJ said, also reveal “unique information”—including equipment—about the special operations unit that conducted the raid at the bin Laden compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

Release of the images “reasonably can be expected to cause exceptionally grave damage to national security,” Berman said in the court filing.

“It is the Executive Branch, not Judicial Watch, that is responsible for the nation’s security and the security of American personnel overseas,” Berman wrote.

Boasberg, the judge, gave Judicial Watch until early February to respond to the DOJ position in the litigation.
    It isn't that both sides don't make acceptable points, but this particular claim screams such melodramatic bullshit to me that it leads me to ask, what is the real concern? Because I just don't believe that by withholding photographic evidence, they really believe that they are protecting the American public.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke