User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I like it. I would probably prefer more of it.

I agree that money brings happiness but after a point it only brings more money, I totally believe that there is in operation a law of diminishing returns when it comes to accumulating money.

I've got more than a lot of people I know, although still not enough to buy a house, I would say that accumulating the amount of money that I have has been to do with managing it once I've had it as much as earning it to begin with. I save and have no problem saving. I'm not someone who sprees when they get their wages and scrimps either the rest of the month or at the end of the money.

There are a lot of good habits which I acquired when I hadnt got any money which I'll have now for life and I figure are for the best, I will buy the cheaper things, second hand things, bargain things without any sense of afront or shame, I really felt vindicated when I read a book which suggested that millionaires drive second hand cars and behave frugally, this being what sets them apart from the struggling middle lower classes who're actively attempting all sorts of conspicious consumption and keeping up with the Jones exercises, living on rafts of credit. I didnt have a credit card until I was in my mid twenties, it was begrudging even then (a lot like getting a mobile phone) because I couldnt do business with Amazon or pay annual employment fees without one, when I use it I'll pay it in the same week if I can at the local branch.

I do think that money is intimately linked with lifestyle and choice and consequences, the book I'm reading talks about how its one of the most significant innovations ever and transformed all social relationships which had existed prior to its mass distribution, Simmel thinks its money and its circulation and possession by all which was more significant to the emergence of capitalism or individualism than either industrialism (the means of production) or business/employment practices (the mode of production) and I think he's right.

To be honest I think if I could get a house and bank roll whatever changes to it I may wish to make, provided I remain single and without a family, who knows about either of those things but I'm not anxious for either at the minute, I think I could work a lot less and make a conscious choice to live simply.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

profit is life

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Money is really kind of a retarded concept, what with people cheating, terrorizing, murdering, and demolishing to get more of what are essentially tokens to the world's biggest game of pretend...

But then, it is difficult to imagine a way a society this large and advanced could possibly manage without a currency. Bartering isn't nearly flexible enough nor is it easy to keep track of, and attempting to plan every single transaction is obviously hopeless.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Money is really kind of a retarded concept, what with people cheating, terrorizing, murdering, and demolishing to get more of what are essentially tokens to the world's biggest game of pretend...

But then, it is difficult to imagine a way a society this large and advanced could possibly manage without a currency. Bartering isn't nearly flexible enough nor is it easy to keep track of, and attempting to plan every single transaction is obviously hopeless.
    That's true but its not as simple as its the worst system apart from all the others, there are a lot of pluses when you consider earlier societies or alternatives which arent even bartering or micro-management economic planning, consider serfdom or slavery or even the sort of organic communitarianism which preceeded modern individualism (OK its enjoyed in its completeness by a few but it is enjoyed to some extent by everyone).

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Your thoughts on money please? I'm reading a big book on the topic by someone call Simmel, its hard going.
    If it's not your servant, it will be your master.
    got chaos?

Money is a convenience. Saves me from dragging around a wagon full of begonia seeds, looking for someone who might swap me for a hammer and some nails.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I agree that money brings happiness but after a point it only brings more money, I totally believe that there is in operation a law of diminishing returns when it comes to accumulating money.

I've got more than a lot of people I know, although still not enough to buy a house, I would say that accumulating the amount of money that I have has been to do with managing it once I've had it as much as earning it to begin with. I save and have no problem saving. I'm not someone who sprees when they get their wages and scrimps either the rest of the month or at the end of the money.

There are a lot of good habits which I acquired when I hadnt got any money which I'll have now for life and I figure are for the best, I will buy the cheaper things, second hand things, bargain things without any sense of afront or shame, I really felt vindicated when I read a book which suggested that millionaires drive second hand cars and behave frugally, this being what sets them apart from the struggling middle lower classes who're actively attempting all sorts of conspicious consumption and keeping up with the Jones exercises, living on rafts of credit. I didnt have a credit card until I was in my mid twenties, it was begrudging even then (a lot like getting a mobile phone) because I couldnt do business with Amazon or pay annual employment fees without one, when I use it I'll pay it in the same week if I can at the local branch.

I do think that money is intimately linked with lifestyle and choice and consequences, the book I'm reading talks about how its one of the most significant innovations ever and transformed all social relationships which had existed prior to its mass distribution, Simmel thinks its money and its circulation and possession by all which was more significant to the emergence of capitalism or individualism than either industrialism (the means of production) or business/employment practices (the mode of production) and I think he's right.

To be honest I think if I could get a house and bank roll whatever changes to it I may wish to make, provided I remain single and without a family, who knows about either of those things but I'm not anxious for either at the minute, I think I could work a lot less and make a conscious choice to live simply.
    I like this view. I am like that, too, except have my times of splurging. (To make the saving more fun.) I think as long as it doesn't become an obsession, and you don't discount other priorities in your life, money is a great, great thing. It's fun to play with and try to do better and better. I never want to spend up to my means. Everything is a balance.

Money is not what's evil. It's wanting more than you can afford and having the wrong idea about money. Debt and being tied down with things is what makes people unhappy.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    If it's not your servant, it will be your master.

i like money. once i get enough accumulated to start investing, i want to be good with it. i want an IRA and stocks and a big ol savings account. despite my type i am not irresponsible with money, but i do like expensive things.

philosophically, i have discovered that while working, the promise of money is enough to keep me motivated but not enough to keep me happy. so even though ideally i would love a 6-figure job, and i'm sure i could get one given the right schooling, i figure aiming for almost 6 figures plus happiness is a better strategy.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

i like money. once i get enough accumulated to start investing, i want to be good with it. i want an IRA and stocks and a big ol savings account. despite my type i am not irresponsible with money, but i do like expensive things.

philosophically, i have discovered that while working, the promise of money is enough to keep me motivated but not enough to keep me happy. so even though ideally i would love a 6-figure job, and i'm sure i could get one given the right schooling, i figure aiming for almost 6 figures plus happiness is a better strategy.
    ! I want the roth IRA and the travel accounts and stocks and bonds (if they are safe) and will end with the six figure job. I don't think I need to sacrifice my happiness for any of these things, I don't think it needs to as complicated as people think it is. I like really really nice stuff, (expensive liquors and cigars and stuff) to enjoy in my life, but can cut in a lot of areas to occasionally afford these things. We can have it all without stressing.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.