User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Default What's wrong with eugenics?

Eugenics is defined as the betterment of the human gene pool through selective breeding.

The fact that genes play a significant role in behavior, intelligence, and illnesses such as cancer and cystic fibrosis is pretty well established. What would be so wrong with sterilizing people with mental retardation or serious inheritable diseases? Is it not cruel to let a child be born with a 90% chance of getting, say, Huntington's disease?

If I were in charge, I would first sterilize all violent criminals. Yes, there is a small percentage of people in federal prison who are innocent, but the vast majority are not. Raising a child is one of the most demanding things a person can do, and a violent offender will more than likely not be able to stimulate the child's curiosity in a positive way or teach them moral lessons or anything else of the sort. This creates a cycle of crime and poverty that is difficult or impossible to break out of.

The mentally retarded or borderline retarded should be sterilized as well. The boundary should be at an IQ of 80; if yours is below 80, you will be sterilized, and if it's higher, then you won't be sterilized. Intelligence has a strong genetic component and people with low intelligence will probably be unable to raise moral and intelligent children. I realize IQ is faulty and arbitrary, and saying that a person with an IQ of 122 is more "intelligent" than someone with an IQ of 120 is ridiculous. What isn't ridiculous is saying that a person with an IQ of 100 is clearly more intelligent than someone with an IQ of 80.

If you want to have kids, fine; there are plenty of them up for adoption all over the world. People have to realize that there are things more important than their own personal desires; the maintenance of the human gene pool is one of them.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    People have to realize that there are things more important than their own personal desires; the maintenance of the human gene pool is one of them.
    HAHAHAHA!

Why?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

If I were in charge
    I thank God that you're not.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Eugenics is defined as the betterment of the human gene pool through selective breeding.

The fact that genes play a significant role in behavior, intelligence, and illnesses such as cancer and cystic fibrosis is pretty well established. What would be so wrong with sterilizing people with mental retardation or serious inheritable diseases? Is it not cruel to let a child be born with a 90% chance of getting, say, Huntington's disease?
    People are more than their medical conditions. You can be mentally retarded and still live a happy life and have family that loves you and cares about you. If you have a genetic tendency for something like Huntington's disease, it doesn't mean for absolute sure that you would get it and even if you did you could still lead a quality life for many years (I think the symptoms of Huntingtons don't show up until later in life?) Who knows, by the time the disease is scheduled to set in, a cure or better treatments may be found by then.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    HAHAHAHA!

Why?
    What do you mean, why? Why not? Why is the desire to have a child that's genetically similar to yourself more important than getting rid of horrible inheritable diseases like Huntington's or even behavioral traits like sadism and pyromania, many of which have a genetic component?

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    People are more than their medical conditions. You can be mentally retarded and still live a happy life and have family that loves you and cares about you. If you have a genetic tendency for something like Huntington's disease, it doesn't mean for absolute sure that you would get it and even if you did you could still lead a quality life for many years (I think the symptoms of Huntingtons don't show up until later in life?) Who knows, by the time the disease is scheduled to set in, a cure or better treatments may be found by then.
    What a bunch of nonsense. I wasn't calling for people with Huntington's to be killed; that would warrant your response. What I said was that they shouldn't even be born, since a person with, say, autism, which has a genetic component to it, suffers much more than someone without it. Maybe they might be really happy themselves, the cost to their family and to society is more significant than if they weren't autistic.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Your whole argument is silly. If you found out that you have some sort of strange disease that makes it so that if you had a child, it will be subjected to constant incredible, blinding pain that is impossible to cure or even alleviate, would you still have your child in the small hope that "they will find a cure" or that "it might not even get it"?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Reasons why Eugenics is nonsensical BS:

-Eugenics on a mass scale administered over millions of people would turn into a mess, with thousands objecting against it on moral grounds of all sorts.

-Telling who can and cannot procreate raises a slew of ethical boundaries and problems.

-The human gene pool is gigantic and not really worth maintaining perfect over, thus monitering the best gene results in offspring isn't really necessary.

-Who's to say that an ex-convict can't properly raise a child?

-This nonsense that IQ is heriditary is silly; just because a parent has a low IQ does not mean under any circumstance that the child will have a low IQ as well.

-From a utilitarian standpoint, enforced eugenics would create mass suffereing for those tyrannized by it, and accomplish nothing in the way of happiness for those who are not affected by it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

what's wrong with you?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Dear mods:

Plz change Perch420's name to Skynet.

Kthnx,
    Kyu
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge